• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
As everyone knows my son has he and his wife's dog. Barney is a great dog and I've got concerns about his health as this dog has had nothing shot wise but his rabies shot and is not on any kind of heartworm preventative. I've told my son I'd take him to my vet I used and get him checked for heartworms and on preventative and get his shots he needs. He told me in no uncertain terms that the dog is not mine to do with what I want, never mind I keep him all day 4 to 5 days a week, and belongs to he and his wife, not me, and that he has been dewormed. I said maybe so, but that does not take care of heartworms which can result from a infected mosquito. If it is a money issue I can take care of that, I told him I would pay for it. And around my house the mosquitoes are horrible due to the lake by us. We are always killing mosquitoes in here. And I have to take him outside, and am fearful of keeping him out long due to that fact. I spray him with Backwoods Cutter when I take him out, and that is just long enough to use the bathroom. I would hate for this dog's life to be cut short at 2 years old due to heartworms. Anybody, got any suggestions?

CincyBeachGirl

Beach Lover
Sep 20, 2008
I have ideas, many most would disagree with. Take him to the vet yourself when you have him, or see if a vet will give you Heartguard. If you see him that much, it wouldn't be hard to give him the meds once a month. What about flea meds too? Nothing is worse than an ignorant pet owner. Thinking that all you have to do is feed your dog is enough...... nope. I'm sure there are control issues going on here, a long with other issues in your relationship, but to focus on the dog.......I'm sure there are ways you could get the dog the care he needs while you have him. Good luck.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I have ideas, many most would disagree with. Take him to the vet yourself when you have him, or see if a vet will give you Heartguard. If you see him that much, it wouldn't be hard to give him the meds once a month. What about flea meds too? Nothing is worse than an ignorant pet owner. Thinking that all you have to do is feed your dog is enough...... nope. I'm sure there are control issues going on here, a long with other issues in your relationship, but to focus on the dog.......I'm sure there are ways you could get the dog the care he needs while you have him. Good luck.

I agree Lady D. Take that dog to the vet yourself, make sure there are no heartworms and start the heartworm preventative medication. The dog eats it like a treat and you can stock up on a few extra to use at home during the summer.

Walton Outdoors

Beach Fanatic
Oct 8, 2008
www.WaltonOutdoors.com
As everyone knows my son has he and his wife's dog. Barney is a great dog and I've got concerns about his health as this dog has had nothing shot wise but his rabies shot and is not on any kind of heartworm preventative. I've told my son I'd take him to my vet I used and get him checked for heartworms and on preventative and get his shots he needs. He told me in no uncertain terms that the dog is not mine to do with what I want, never mind I keep him all day 4 to 5 days a week, and belongs to he and his wife, not me, and that he has been dewormed. I said maybe so, but that does not take care of heartworms which can result from a infected mosquito. If it is a money issue I can take care of that, I told him I would pay for it. And around my house the mosquitoes are horrible due to the lake by us. We are always killing mosquitoes in here. And I have to take him outside, and am fearful of keeping him out long due to that fact. I spray him with Backwoods Cutter when I take him out, and that is just long enough to use the bathroom. I would hate for this dog's life to be cut short at 2 years old due to heartworms. Anybody, got any suggestions?

Constantly applying the Backwoods Cutter has the potential for being just as dangerous as the mosquito exposure. Prolonged exposure to the chemical in the Cutter, Diethyltoluaminde can be causing long-term negative affects on the dog.

I am no expert, however the dog should be taken to the vet and checked for heartworms and put on heatworm preventative, as that would be the only solution to exposure to mosquitoes, and I would suggest stop using the Cutter.
Read the side effects from Cutter here:
Backwoods Cutter Topical consumer information from Drugs.com

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
Lady D, you have hit a nerve with me, or I should say your irresponsible son and daughter and law have. Why do they have this dog? For what purpose? If they are not going to be responsible pet owner's then you should do the responsible thing and get him tested for heartworms and start him on preventative yourself if you are going to be keeping him for any length of time. I have posted here before about the horrible, horrible heartworm treatment that my rescued Jack Russell had to endure for weeks, and weeks. I would not want any animal to have to suffer like that. You can bet that if Barney has been exposed to mosquitos and has not been on prevention then it would be a miracle if he is not already infected. It is a terrible way for a dog to die. I would not care what my child said to me about it. If the dog was in my house and I was taking care of it then you can bet your butt if he wasn't going to do anything about it I sure would. And, what if something else happens to the dog in your care? What if he gets sick or something, is your son going to tell you not to have him treated because "he is not your dog"? Something to think about.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Oh, LadyD...this has hit my last nerve, too. I remember your son and his wife and the cats. :sosad: Unfortunately, they have shown a pattern of irresponsible pet ownership and I believe you know this. Have you spoken with your daughter-in-law? Please heed the warnings here...the repellent is dangerous!

Mr. K has a saying..."do what you know to be right". You know the right thing to do. Barney deserves better.

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
I am trying to keep mosquitoes from getting him, the best way I know of. Just trying to look out for the best interest of the dog and keep him safe. I've mentioned this to my son for several weeks now, to ask his wife about it, and he mentioned it to her. I've probably only used it on him 3 or 4 times here at the house. I am going to Petco later and see if they have something safe for a dog. I am sure they do. I did talk with her a few minutes ago and she says she spoke with the vet and he said it was not necessary for as little time as he spends outside.

Last edited:

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
I am trying to keep mosquitoes from getting him, the best way I know of. Just trying to look out for the best interest of the dog and keep him safe. I've mentioned this to my son for several weeks now, to ask his wife about it, and he mentioned it to her. I've probably only used it on him 3 or 4 times here at the house. I am going to Petco later and see if they have something safe for a dog. I am sure they do. I did talk with her a few minutes ago and she says she spoke with the vet and he said it was not necessary for as little time as he spends outside.

Sweet Lady D....I do not believe a vet would ever say that. Mosquitoes get in the house too, and Barney could have one on his hair and carry it in. He may even have heartworms already or something your son and daughter-in-law does not want anyone to know about. You are doing a great job trying to help Barney. I understand you must feel like you're between a rock and a hard place. Think of Barney as if he is a human baby, because Shih Tzus really do think they are human. I do understand that possibly if you take him to the vet your son and his wife may just decide not to let him stay with you anymore and his life could get worse.

I pray strength and wisdom for you.

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
That is right, if I keep mentioning things to him he and she both could refuse to let me see him anymore or keep him at my work with me or at my home. It's bad when a 23 y.o. and 27 y.o. seem to have the upper hand over a 49 y.o.! I do not believe a vet would say that either. My vet I called the other day said otherwise, if I get literature from my vet I used and leave it at his apartment, that again, he probaby would think is sticking my nose where it does not belong. I look him over every time I bring him back in, as mosquitoes do get in our house, we kill them when we see them. I am always between a rock and a hard place. They don't want me to use certain sprays on him or certain shampoos on him because they say he has allergies and his skin is sensitive. I myself have been seeing some really red spots on him, and too me, it looks like hot spot, not allergies. I do believe he has allergies also by the way he constantly itches. I wish he was our dog, he would get what he needs, and deserves. I'm not saying my son does not play with him, and feed him, etc, but being so controlling over what he is given or used on him is too much.

Last edited:

aggieb

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2007
ibx
That is right, if I keep mentioning things to him he and she both could refuse to let me see him anymore or keep him at my work with me or at my home. It's bad when a 23 y.o. and 27 y.o. seem to have the upper hand over a 49 y.o.! I do not believe a vet would say that either. My vet I called the other day said otherwise, if I get literature from my vet I used and leave it at his apartment, that again, he probaby would think is sticking my nose where it does not belong. I look him over every time I bring him back in, as mosquitoes do get in our house, we kill them when we see them. I am always between a rock and a hard place. They don't want me to use certain sprays on him or certain shampoos on him because they say he has allergies and his skin is sensitive. I myself have been seeing some really red spots on him, and too me, it looks like hot spot, not allergies. I do believe he has allergies also by the way he constantly itches. I wish he was our dog, he would get what he needs, and deserves. I'm not saying my son does not play with him, and feed him, etc, but being so controlling over what he is given or used on him is too much.
lady d, if you can, please call your vet and take the poor fella. this concerns me. do what you think needs to be done for the dog's best interest and you can still give your son a good whipping. they don't get too old for that! you're the mama!!!