• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

blapaglia

Beach Comber
May 24, 2009
We have been coming to the South Walton area for about seven years and just love it. We usually stay in the Gulf Place area and go to the beach behind Goatfeathers. This year we stayed at Watercolor and went to both the Watercolor and Watersound West beaches. In the water at both beaches there were many uneven mounds of sand that made it very difficult to walk in the water. Is this normal for the Watercolor and Watersound West beaches or is it just a fluke that occurred at all the beaches this year? Thank you. :dunno:

Foodlover

Beach Fanatic
Oct 15, 2006
South Walton
We have been coming to the South Walton area for about seven years and just love it. We usually stay in the Gulf Place area and go to the beach behind Goatfeathers. This year we stayed at Watercolor and went to both the Watercolor and Watersound West beaches. In the water at both beaches there were many uneven mounds of sand that made it very difficult to walk in the water. Is this normal for the Watercolor and Watersound West beaches or is it just a fluke that occurred at all the beaches this year? Thank you. :dunno:

I am not sure I understand what you mean by "mounds"; however, I think the floor of the gulf near the shore constantly changes based on tides, surf, storms, etc.

CincyBeachGirl

Beach Lover
Sep 20, 2008
The beach is ever-changing. It's been very windy here for weeks. Lots of red flags and some high tides. All that affects the beaches, sand bars, etc.

blapaglia

Beach Comber
May 24, 2009
We usually stayed around the Ed Walline beach area and in all the years we've been coming there, I never felt like I was walking in a small mountain range when I went in the water. There may have been some little slopes at times but nothing like it was at the Watercolor and Watersound beaches. You could hardly walk in the water because the sand was so uneven and full of these mounds. I was just wondering if this is the way all the beaches are this year or if this is peculiar to the Watercolor and Watersound beaches.

Thanks very much for the feedback.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
The shore itself seems to be scalloped from one end of Walton county to the other. We did have some "tropical weather" recently in the form of a low pressure system. Things seem to be evening out now, but there are some rough patches. The mounds could also be the result of flounder beds. They burrow in the sand and can create little pockets and voids in the sand. With the lower population of people at Watersound vs. Ed Walline it could be that as well.