• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ThirtyAGal

Beach Lover
Jan 11, 2007
Tennessee
:love:I love 3 yr. olds, but if you are taking 2 of them for a week at the beach I would recommend Valium and wine to wash it down (for the adults).

One year at Seagrove when we had my 3 yr. old granddaughter we bought a little bamboo pirate chest at one of the beach stores and filled it with any kind of pirate booty we could find. We then buried it in the sand next to Eastern Lake and found some sticks to put on the site in an X shape. We then went on a treasure hunt, telling her that "X marks the spot". When she saw the site she went crazy! She started digging with her hands just like a little crab. When she found the chest she was just amazed. The contents busied her for more than a day, and that is one of the best memories we have. She is 10 now, and I think she still believes that was buried by pirates (or at least she wants to think that). Still has that chest too, and everything that was in it.

bluemtnrunner

Beach Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
Three years olds run wild in the grass circle in Seaside. We just had a young one leave here and she spent most of her time running wild with other kids down there.
Eden Gardens to feed the koi or throw bread off the dock.

For indoors: Oobleck is a big hit. Mix it in a bowl and let them go to town. It makes what looks like a big mess but when they are done it is just dry cornstarch and you can sweep/wipe it into the trash. They will play with this stuff for hours (and so will you)
  • 1 1/2 C. Corn Starch
  • 1 C. Water
Mix the ingredients and allow children to play with the mixture. When"pushed" together, the mixture will appear dry and solid; as children let go of the mixture, it flows like a smooth liquid.

Don't forget some good videos and books to have on hand

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
The Seaside Rep summer kids shows~

A Stone that Sings- every Monday, 7:30, Seaside Amphitheatre

Go Dog Go- every Tuesday 7:30, Watercolor Marina park Amphitheatre

Both are darling and FREE!!:clap: Bring a blanket, a cooler, and relax- the kids are entertained.

Seaside Repertory Theatre

sbw

Beach Comber
Sep 21, 2007
We love the seaside rep shows. For the toddler set, I'd also recommend the numerous outdoor concerts where they can dance their hearts out. If you're on the east side, Frank Brown Park has a nice playground, and there's a smaller one in Seaside.

Enjoy your trip - SOWAL is a fantastic place to vacation with little ones.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
my best favorite spot right now for my almost six and almost two grands...the Alys Beach playground. Climbing that "mountain" will keep them busy...3 year olds will love it. It is a wonderful spot; the ice cream is delicious and reasonable and there are shaded picnic tables, swings, and sand.

Also the water fountain in Seacrest. The library for a rainy day...there is a great children's area and stories sometimes (check the summer schedule)

The grass in Seaside is a must do. they will run for miles, chasing each other or just chasing...and relax with snocones from Frosty's.
4 kids has a story time as does Fired Up--

and dancing at the concerts, although they may get a bit sleepy at that hour. When my granddaughter was that age and younger, she loved taking the water taxi in Baytowne.

Enjoy!

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
and dancing at the concerts, although they may get a bit sleepy at that hour. When my granddaughter was that age and younger, she loved taking the water taxi in Baytowne.

Enjoy!

yeah, it really stinks they start at 7:30pm CST... we're on EST, along with about half of visitors, and so the 4 and 6 year old could maybe go to something that started at 7pm, but to them, this starts at 8:30, which is bed time as it is.
Has anyone at the REP considered moving these just a bit, it could make a big difference for all these kiddies.. maybe just a half hour?

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
yeah, it really stinks they start at 7:30pm CST... we're on EST, along with about half of visitors, and so the 4 and 6 year old could maybe go to something that started at 7pm, but to them, this starts at 8:30, which is bed time as it is.
Has anyone at the REP considered moving these just a bit, it could make a big difference for all these kiddies.. maybe just a half hour?

I don't know about moving it- 7:30 has worked for most people for years. By the time people get off the beach, cleaned up, napped, etc., it is 7:30. People can grab a quick bite before the show, or bring a picnic, or it is over early enough to get a bite after, which many were heading to do. Lots of kids- several hundred people last night, and those numbers will be there every Monday night for the rest of the summer. Seaside was still going strong with a huge number of kids under 5 at 9:30 last night when we left- racing around the amphitheatre!:lol:

Also, the plays start at sunset, and end in the dark, with the stage lights-:clap: