• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
I understand the engineering, but let's look at it after the next tropical storm grazes the area and the pilings are exposed.

The pilings vary in length but average more than 50 feet which would have them into the ground below the erosional area on the beach by more than 25 feet in most places. Not to mention there are three piles per row and numerous rows, etc... For comparison with much shallower piles, smaller diameter and wood versus concrete, look at the restroom that has survived since before Opal and various other structures along the gulf-front.

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington
A vibrating compactor did that? Yeeeah right! I smell a design flaw or possibly poorly laid concrete on the surface. Looks like it expanded more than they expected it to.

Thanks for the pics!

WOW that is THIN concrete topping! Again, perhaps every single piling will stay right where it is, but I am still saying that a tropical storm 70 miles away is going to eat this thing up.

So what is this repair going to cost?

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
WOW that is THIN concrete topping! Again, perhaps every single piling will stay right where it is, but I am still saying that a tropical storm 70 miles away is going to eat this thing up.

So what is this repair going to cost?

The top layer is applied over preformed sections that were trucked in and placed by crane over hundreds of pilings driven deep in the sand. If a storm takes this thing out we are all in trouble!

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
I drove by there yesterday and looked at the heave. It looks like expansion joints either weren't working properly or maybe there weren't enough of them. It's buckled up due to pressure of expansion.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I'm calling extreme BS that an overweight UPS truck turning around caused that! Cracks maybe, upward heave in the center of a recently poured section no. Hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like the section below is still level so the concrete topping was the problem, not the structure. Workmanship flaws IMO.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Now that I've looked at the pictures I'm betting someone didn't secure their anchor.