• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
the hospital here is beautiful, but we have seen more landscapers there than doctors. actually, after 3 visits there, we have never seen a doctor, even in passing which was worrisome. the one time we used the ER we did not see an MD, and RN or even an LPN, in the 4 hrs we were there, but a "Physician's Assistant"- who informed me the gross total of her education was a couple years at a local community college- who FAXED (you heard that right, not emailed a digital file, FAXED) a copy of my MRI to a radiologist.

Sorry your experience at the ER wasn't what you had hoped. We have had the opposite experience at the hospital. The 3 times we've had to use the ER we've seen an MD each time, and a lot quicker than when we lived in a big city. They all seemed very knowledgeable and caring.

The Physician's Assistants that I know have a 4 year degree and 2 years in a PA program.

krenie

Beach Comber
Jan 18, 2009
We are a family with three boys: 13, 8, and 4. Just bought in Watercolor and planning on relocating from the Memphis area in June 2010. We can't wait. Oh, and I'm sure that there are already one or a thousand Memphians who have found their place at the beach.

For what it's worth, we have been told really positive things from those with families who live in WC currently.

Great to hear more families are moving/considering moving. We are listing our house later this year, and hope to be at Watercolor by 2010. We have four children ages 6,7,8,10. FYI, one full-time WC family was gracious enough to meet with us when we were looking at the area....she could not have been more generous with her time and information. I am so hopeful that this move will work out for us!

melscuba

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
Roswell, Ga hoping SoWal someday
Great to hear more families are moving/considering moving. We are listing our house later this year, and hope to be at Watercolor by 2010. We have four children ages 6,7,8,10. FYI, one full-time WC family was gracious enough to meet with us when we were looking at the area....she could not have been more generous with her time and information. I am so hopeful that this move will work out for us!

Are you at all concerned about the move for your older one? Our kids are 5,6 and soon to be 10. I am a little apprehensive about moving the older child. She's pretty well adjusted here. In my mind, SoWal would be an terrific place to grow up. I realize however, I am seeing this through my adult eyes. I mainly fear loneliness for her.

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
Are you at all concerned about the move for your older one? Our kids are 5,6 and soon to be 10. I am a little apprehensive about moving the older child. She's pretty well adjusted here. In my mind, SoWal would be an terrific place to grow up. I realize however, I am seeing this through my adult eyes. I mainly fear loneliness for her.

The older they are, the harder it will be for them, but I wouldn't worry about loneliness. The kids here are pretty used to having new kids show up and seem to welcome them with open arms. The friendships I've seen between the kids have been very strong but they seem to enjoy adding a new friend to the pack. Being involved in sports either at the recreational level or team sports at school really seems to bond the kids and make them feel included. At 10yr old and middle school level there are a lot of sleepovers (especially for girls) and doing things together. The pools at Watercolor would be a big draw for kids to be spending time at your house!

krenie

Beach Comber
Jan 18, 2009

We switched schools this year(from private to public) and I was concerned for my fifth-grade girl. However, we did tons of playdates and got her involved with school activities...she is so happy. It gave us confidence that we could do this move. Also, having four kids close in age always attracts a lot of friends/siblings to our house...I think the situation would be similar at WC. I would not hesitate to reach out to existing families as well to help ease the transition. From what I can tell, they are wonderful people.

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington
Sorry your experience at the ER wasn't what you had hoped. We have had the opposite experience at the hospital. The 3 times we've had to use the ER we've seen an MD each time, and a lot quicker than when we lived in a big city. They all seemed very knowledgeable and caring.

The Physician's Assistants that I know have a 4 year degree and 2 years in a PA program.

I would also rate my experiences with SHEC, both in the E/R, diagnostic testing units and the regular hospital ahead of my experiences with hospitals in Atlanta and the Midwest. The quality of the medical treatment here is one of the good things about the place.

As I said earlier, if you have special needs, you may need to drive a little farther. We probably don't have the depth of specialties in pediatric care yet because we really have had more older people than families moving in .

melscuba

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
Roswell, Ga hoping SoWal someday
The older they are, the harder it will be for them, but I wouldn't worry about loneliness. The kids here are pretty used to having new kids show up and seem to welcome them with open arms. The friendships I've seen between the kids have been very strong but they seem to enjoy adding a new friend to the pack. Being involved in sports either at the recreational level or team sports at school really seems to bond the kids and make them feel included. At 10yr old and middle school level there are a lot of sleepovers (especially for girls) and doing things together. The pools at Watercolor would be a big draw for kids to be spending time at your house!

Thanks for the positive words. I find it quite scary to make such big decisions for my family... not me or my husband so much, just the kids.:D Sleepovers and school activities are just what we're looking for... maybe even some surfing worked in there! We're hoping to buy when we think the market has settled. We'd love to make it our full time home, but we'll see what happens. We also have an old wooden boat that we think would suit the inland waterway perfectly! She's been a fresh water girl for a long time, but spent many years on the Chesapeake Bay. We'd love to have some adventures as a family with her down in SoWal and beyond. Thanks again!

JUL

Beach Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
Madison, Alabama

and have continuing ed and testing requirements throughout their career not just to be a PA but to stay a PA

dcurlin

Beach Comber
Aug 3, 2008
Considering a move

We are researching and considering a move to 30-A as well. We plan to check out watercolor in June but have a long history of stays in Rosemary. I was wondering if anyone has any feedback about the local schools and extracurricular activities. My 3, 6, and 8 year old play violin and piano and attend a private school outside of Memphis. How hard is it to find music instruction? Is there a soccer club? What are the local schools like? We want to push ahead in foreign language as well. Are there any local resources? Thanks in advance for your feedback! This is a very helpful thread!

3suns

Beach Comber
Mar 8, 2008
FLA USA
We will be moving to Sowal (Seagrove) next week and are so excited. We have 3 kids:
6, 3 and 2. We have been planning for 3 years to move on 30-A. House, business and schools are lined up. There seems to be some good choices for schools, once I did the research I found there to be more options than I originally anticipated.
We want to push ahead in foreign language as well. Are there any local resources? Thanks in advance for your feedback! This is a very helpful thread!
The school I enrolled my son in starts spanish in Kindergarten through 6th grade.
There seems to be many activities for children: soccer, art classes, nature classes, surfing classes and so on. I think as long as you dive in and keep a positive attitude then your children will follow. I will keep everyone posted after I actually move in!