• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I am but they are extremely heavy made all out of wood. I would like to get a bit a surfing in as well as lake cruising and for this I need a lighter than wood board. I have a masters in sculpture and would love to put my education to use. I am also thinking to shape my own SUP board if I could locate a large enough blank like a 12'6" styrofoam by 35" wide. Anybody know where I can get the blanks?

pgurney

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
ATL & Seacrest
A wooden one shouldn't be any heavier than 30 to 35 lbs if light wood like cedar is used and you are careful with the epoxy. I have a 16 ft long wood-stripped sea kayak that only weighs about 35 lbs.

Take a look at these wooden long boards that only weigh 22 lbs.
Woody Logic Surfboards - FOR SALE

Thanks pgurney. I looked at this kit last summer but the SUP was not available. I even called the guy in Inverness and suggested he start offering a SUP kit back in July 08. Im thinking this kit might be my answer. thanks again for the suggestion.

pgurney

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
ATL & Seacrest
I'm not trying to influence your decision here (although I love the wooden boats & boards - and with you being a sculptor and all...), but here's some more info if you decide to go this route.

You don't have to pay for a full kit. You can build from scratch and probably save a few hundred dollars while getting some real satisfaction. There are some free plans here: Tree to Sea HWS Builder's Forum under the "Stuff Available Forum". If you look for the plans by Andy Gere, it's for an 11'6" SUP. If you search the "Projects" forum you'll find a great thread by Andy that shows his build. His came out at 36 lbs, but he used redwood, a lot of blocking and was heavy on glass and epoxy. I think there are also other free plans there to build from scratch. There are some really nice boards in the "Projects" forum if you're interested in perusing.

At that same link under "Projects", look for a thread by "Boco-Rio", who built a 10' SUP. He is the same builder that was in the link in my previous post, "Woody Logic". He may have updated his instructions to include plans for the SUP.

You can also get a partial kit. These guys will sell you CNC cut ribs and spars for the innards and you add your own wood for stripping, they'll also sell the fiberglass/epoxy kit that has some accessories in it. The basic ribs and spars kit is the way I'd go if I were going to build one of these....which I contemplate on a regular basis. It seems like a good price to get a precision cut skeleton. I'm not real crazy about the aesthetics of the woodwork shown on the boards in this link...they can be so much more.. but here's the link. Wood Surfboard Kits

Anyway, it sounds like you may be already familiar with all these sources, but thought I'd share in case you weren't.

If you go this route and would like some more resources let me know. I've stripped two kayaks and have found some good places/resources.

Last edited: