• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
A normal person could look at the size of the hook or bait and tell if someone was intentionally fishing for sharks. If you have half of a Mackerel on a big@ss hook, you are fishing for shark.

Yes, there are people who will catch sharks, not fishing for sharks at all.

30ABandMan

Beach Fanatic
Apr 1, 2007
SGB
A normal person could look at the size of the hook or bait and tell if someone was intentionally fishing for sharks. If you have half of a Mackerel on a big@ss hook, you are fishing for shark.

Yes, there are people who will catch sharks, not fishing for sharks at all.

I agree, you never really KNOW what you're going to come up with but you can pretty well guess. The guys I approached has steel leader, bug hooks and a slab of bonito about the width of a deck of cards and 1.5 times as long.

Plus the one said they were doing it.

butterbean

Beach Fanatic
Jun 15, 2006
and if you have a hunk of mackerel and a big hook you may be shark fishing but I don't think you are breaking the law.....

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
where is the above ordinance from? .... state? county? If they were using bonita that would probably be considered "bloodbaiting" due to that type of fish.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
where is the above ordinance from? .... state? county? If they were using bonita that would probably be considered "bloodbaiting" due to that type of fish.

I think it is all part of the beach activities ordinance. But since it is affecting the habitat of animals and you might hook a turtle I would look for it to be banned soon.

John

Beach Fanatic
Dec 3, 2005
SoWal
where is the above ordinance from? .... state? county?

It's from Walton County. I don't think it's unlawful in Bay County and I'm unsure about Okaloosa County. It references INTENTIONAL shark fishing, the way I interpret it.

I don't make the rules, nor am I an enforecement officer.

croixbum

Banned
Jun 15, 2009
West Point, MS
Lady Fish Bait

Would cut up ladyfish be considered shark bait? I guess the big question is are ladyfish legal to use as bait. I know that they give off a lot of blood, some guy on the beach said they could be used for bait.

30ABandMan

Beach Fanatic
Apr 1, 2007
SGB
Yes, they can be used as bait but what are you fishing for? They are boney and a bit bloody. You may be able to strip them for blue fish I guess. I catch everything out there, Pompano, Reds and Skip Jacks on sand fleas. But bait and jigs are good for blue fish.

John and Lynn at Yellow Fin are a great source of face to face fishing info.