• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
:D this is getting good.

:popcorn:

just think this wouldn't have even happened if these people would have just picked their things up and taken them with them. all of this over something so damn simple (by picking it up) but yet so damn hard (for people that don't give a sh!t). blows my mind.

Simple fact is that people having fun on the beach make mistakes and simply forget things. People do give a sh!t about thier belongings. It's not done out of malice.

Last edited:

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
Which law am I advocating breaking? IMO all this lady did is ENFORCE our local ordinance - I believe it is #2003-7B - that any items left on the beach will be confiscated!!!

Or perhaps as a turtle watch volunteer she was more focused on the Endangered Species Act?

If she broke no laws then a court of law will decide that. But when many were applauding her actions, she had been arrested for breaking the law.

To me and obviously others on this thread that gives the impression that one is supporting the breaking of the law of criminal mischief.

If you are simply supporting her removal of items on the beach then we are in total agreement, if you are applauding her means of doing that by commiting criminal mischief, then we don't agree and obviously neither did law enforcement.

I seriously doubt she would have been arrested, and booked had she simply been trying to support clean beaches.

I support keeping the beach clean, I support safe haven for the turtles, I do not support breaking the law to make a point or taking the law into one's own hands.

Last edited:

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Understood. But you should understand that there are people who agree with you on that but also have the maturity and wisdom to denounce this kind of behavior.

So what is anyone doing this year to start ridding the beach of this overnight junk other than saying "isn't it a shame--why don't 'they' do something about it?"

The "rules and laws" didn't work; the "24-hour ticketing" program was a farce; now the lawyers moved in with their cease and desist orders to removing the junk. Call it what you will, but the situation is getting worse year-by-year-by-year, and now someone took action (others have too--they just didn't get caught).

I can sense her frustration at the local officials, who, without a ball between them, let this situation get to the point where rational, caring people crack. I stand by my assessment of this lady's actions....with her rage akin to "driving the moneychangers out of the temple"...she's reached her level of pissativity. If she decides to do it again, I'd be proud to be in her posse.

NOTE TO CLUELESS, SELFISH OR UNINFORMED (check one that applies) FOLKS WHO LEAVE THEIR JUNK ON THE BEACH OVERNIGHT: Remove it.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Environmental terrorist should be sent straight to Gitmo. Or that other place where we give them $200 million to go. Maybe she is on to something.
Are you referring to the people who destroy the environment by leaving their crap all over the beach, potentially causing damage?

I'm still wondering what will happen to my tents, chairs, cooler, shovel, along with personal items, if I set them up on the lawn of the Walton County Court House. I bet the cops would have them removed pronto.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Simple fact is that people having fun on the beach make mistakes and simply forget things. People do give a sh!t about thier belongings. It's not done out of malice.

Sure, Geo reminded us a while back that people can get distracted and totally forget about their possessions (for short periods of time). HOWEVER, it seems that too many people conveniently "forget" about all of their crap for the entire length of their vacation, and that is unacceptable in my opinion. If you give a crap about your crap, take it home with you when you leave the beach for the day. I don't go to your home and leave my crap in your backyard, so please don't do it when you come to mine. ;-)

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Are you referring to the people who destroy the environment by leaving their crap all over the beach, potentially causing damage?

I'm still wondering what will happen to my tents, chairs, cooler, shovel, along with personal items, if I set them up on the lawn of the Walton County Court House. I bet the cops would have them removed pronto.

And you know that is public property. And you want ALL of the beach to be public property. But again, you leave out the part to your position that involves STEALING private property from someone who has paid for it and is currently paying taxes on it. And then cheer someone for going onto their land and destroying private possessions.

I just want the tourist that visit this area to understand that thankfully, local law enforcement is not like that. They do not condone the stealing of property or the criminal mischief to private possessions, and will arrest people more likely than not broke the law. So do not fear, the property destroyers are still being held in check.

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
So what is anyone doing this year to start ridding the beach of this overnight junk other than saying "isn't it a shame--why don't 'they' do something about it?"

The "rules and laws" didn't work; the "24-hour ticketing" program was a farce; now the lawyers moved in with their cease and desist orders to removing the junk. Call it what you will, but the situation is getting worse year-by-year-by-year, and now someone took action (others have too--they just didn't get caught).

I can sense her frustration at the local officials, who, without a ball between them, let this situation get to the point where rational, caring people crack. I stand by my assessment of this lady's actions....with her rage akin to "driving the moneychangers out of the temple"...she's reached her level of pissativity. If she decides to do it again, I'd be proud to be in her posse.

NOTE TO CLUELESS, SELFISH OR UNINFORMED (check one that applies) FOLKS WHO LEAVE THEIR JUNK ON THE BEACH OVERNIGHT: Remove it.

Huh? You've never met this person, you have no idea of her character, you don't know if she's trustworthy. You know nothing of her intelligence her judgement but you'd be willing to join forces with her based on acts of what I would call vandalism. I think you're moving too quickly.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
wrobert, you are making assumptions, one being that people don't leave their beach crap on public beaches. Secondly, I don't recall cheering anyone on in this thread.

Seems that the law enforcement didn't have a problem removing tourists from the beach, but it when it comes to removing tourists beach crap, suddenly there is a problem. Go figure.

Lastly, if I'm walking on the beach at night and I fall into a canopy frame after tripping over the guidewire to said canopy, thereby crushing the leg of the tent, am I going to be hauled to jail? I've done just that, and it hurt like a mo-fo.

People, remove your crap daily.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Huh? You've never met this person, you have no idea of her character, you don't know if she's trustworthy. You know nothing of her intelligence her judgement but you'd be willing to join forces with her based on acts of what I would call vandalism. I think you're moving too quickly.

I'm not planning on bringing her home to Momma...I'd just like to assist in the removal of the nighttime crap & scrap from the beach.

HeyJude

Beach Comber
Oct 2, 2008
A question for all of those that condone what the person arrested did or are...gulp...alluding that what was done was "heroic" in some way ... why is this individual denying that they did it? By denying it, unless they really didn't do it, it is telling me they KNEW it was breaking the law....that is was "wrong".