• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
"That law dictates which items can be left on the beach overnight, but its enforcement was suspended last month to give county officials time to revise it."

This might have something to do with the alleged acts.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
I am asking you to retract your statement.
I am not being paid to do this job, nor would I accept pay as I have indicated. It is a volunteer organization. I do this for a completely different reason that I surmise you do not understand. If I had to purchase the shirts to be able to represent this organization and walk the beaches for them, I wouldn't have hesitated.
Please contact Sharon as Kathydwells suggested. I speak of the things I know about this organization, but I am not a spokesperson for them.

...don't sweat the small stuff--claiming a volunteer t-shirt as compensation is pure piffle.

croixbum

Banned
Jun 15, 2009
West Point, MS
Outsider Looking In

I have just joined this network, I am what you would say is a tourist. My 2 cents worth, you have the most wonderful place in the world. We used to go to Panama City, got tired of it, started going to Gulf Shores, condos took over beach, found Seagrove Beach 4 years ago and would never go anywhere else. We visit 2 times a year, spend our family thanksgiving on the beach. In all of my trips I have never felt like we were looked at as tourists, the people there are so nice. Some of the issues here may be that the people are not as informed about things as they should be. Me for one didnt realize the value of the efforts to protect the turtles until I did a little research. No matter where you go there are going to be people who dont care how they leave any place they go. We have a new Wal Mart, within days there were dirty diapers in the parking lot. My hats off to all of you for trying to preserve the place you call home, I am trying to figure out how I could become a part of it. As for the lady who was arrested, she has problems. Cleanup the landfills, go back to using cloth diapers.

Everytime

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelby County, Alabama
I've posted in other threads on the hazards of leaving items on the beach, but I have to say that I'm disappointed in this lady's approach. Apparently the law needs to be fine tuned so that the proper authorities can manage beach items appropriately.

Besides the turtles, there are the many who like to be on the beach at night who shouldn't have to worry about stumbling into a hole or tripping over wire holding up a tent. It just takes away from the experience.

Ever since I was a kid, I've been one of those people who likes to go out on the beach at night and enjoy the moon, stars, and sound of the surf. As much as I love the beach during the day, there is something else about it at night. However, I thought I had read on other threads and notices and such that we (humans) are not even supposed to go on the beach at night, with or without flashlights, because it may interfere with sea turtles. I'm glad to hear a turtle watch walker acknowledge people going on the beach at night. I think if you are responsible and keep an eye out for turtles, it can be acceptable to go on the beach at night. I hope to be able to take my daughter (and other future child[ren]) out there with a (covered) flashlight like we did when we were kids. What is the official rule on people on the beach at night from May through October?

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
This was published in todays paper. It says the beach patrol or law enforcement had suspended enforcement of this law so they could rewrite it. Does anyone know why or what reason they have to rewrite it?

Woman charged with destroying items left on beach

She is suspected of removing items in efforts for Turtle Watch

By KIMBERLY WHITE
Northwest Florida Daily News 654-6905, ext. 244 kimw@nwfdailynews.com

SEAGROVE BEACH — A 57-year-old woman who was arrested Monday faces two misdemeanor counts of criminal mischief after she allegedly destroyed tents and inflatable floats on a beach in South Walton County early Friday.
According to a press release from the Walton County Sheriff ’s Office, witnesses saw Seagrove Beach resident Mary Brady destroy the items on a stretch of beach behind the Beachcrest Condominiums on County Road 30A in Seagrove Beach.
“There were several witnesses that saw the incident,” said Mike Gurspan, the public information officer for the Sheriff’s Office. “The investigators gathered all the information (from the witnesses) before the actual arrest was made.”
Brady, who is a reporter at the Walton Sun, recently began volunteering with South Walton Sea Turtle Watch. She confirmed that she was walking the beach as a Turtle Watch volunteer Friday morning.
She denied causing the damage, but declined further comment on the advice of her attorney.
She bonded out of the county jail and is awaiting a July 23 court date.
The incident generated some interest among south Walton County residents who are hotly debating the so-called Leave No Trace ordinance.
That law dictates which items can be left on the beach overnight, but its enforcement was suspended last month to give county officials time to revise it.
Meanwhile, Turtle Watch volunteers and other residents are concerned beach chairs, tents and other items left on the beach are interfering with the nesting habits of endangered and threatened sea turtles, which must make their way across the sand to lay their eggs.
Sharon Maxwell, director of South Walton Turtle Watch, said Brady had been volunteering with the group about three weeks.
“Of course, we don’t condone what she is supposed to have done,” Maxwell said, who added that until Brady’s case is resolved, “We asked that she not walk for us anymore.”

Beanstalk

Beach Lover
Apr 12, 2009
Sharon Maxwell, director of South Walton Turtle Watch, said Brady had been volunteering with the group about three weeks.
?Of course, we don?t condone what she is supposed to have done,? Maxwell said, who added that until Brady?s case is resolved, ?We asked that she not walk for us anymore.?

Curious, Do they offer any training before they allow someone to walk? :dunno: What are the Rules they go by? What are they suppose to do under the "Groups Banner?" Just thinking...:dunno:

Last edited:

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
It is crazy to me that the turtles even need to be part of the conversation. I understand that items on the beach interfere with their nesting and that many need to be educated on this. But it shouldn't take this education to get folks to pick up after themselves...

Except for a campground, I know of no other place where I can leave tents and chairs overnight. What is it about the beach that confuses folks and makes them believe it would be okay to leave their stuff out???

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
It is crazy to me that the turtles even need to be part of the conversation. I understand that items on the beach interfere with their nesting and that many need to be educated on this. But it shouldn't take this education to get folks to pick up after themselves...

Except for a campground, I know of no other place where I can leave tents and chairs overnight. What is it about the beach that confuses folks and makes them believe it would be okay to leave their stuff out???

Yes, what is it:dunno: