• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
I really wish that one of the newspapers would do an expose..with full color photographs...showing just what is happening to the beaches--it would probably be picked up by AP and Facebook and Twitter and we would make the International News...to think that we have such a treasure in our natural habitat and we are destroying it...by neglect, laziness, and lack of government regulations that are appropriate or elected officials who have the courage to enforce the rules they've written.

It is disgraceful IMO.

...the TDC would NEVER let that happen...Hey! Maybe we can blackmail them by threatening to send the portfolio of photos to the St Pete Times (local papers wouldn't post the story) unless they get off their collective arses and do some serious cracking down on the overnight and abandoned beach crap and scrap.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
When we bought our property you could shoot a cannon east and west and never strike a soul.

That reminded me of my dad, who used to say the same thing about Hwy 98 in wintertime, particularly in front of the store we owned 30-40 years ago. :love:

However, I also had relatives who owned gulffront property, and while they didn't appreciate people traipsing through their sandspur-filled back yard and using their private stairs, people walking across "their" sand from east to west didn't bother them in the least. I honestly don't think it ever occurred to them to consider the beach itself as their private property. Far as they were concerned, owning to the MHWL just meant someone couldn't build between them and the beach. It was a kinder, simpler time, and I miss the heck out of it.

30ABandMan

Beach Fanatic
Apr 1, 2007
SGB
That reminded me of my dad, who used to say the same thing about Hwy 98 in wintertime, particularly in front of the store we owned 30-40 years ago. :love:

However, I also had relatives who owned gulffront property, and while they didn't appreciate people traipsing through their sandspur-filled back yard and using their private stairs, people walking across "their" sand from east to west didn't bother them in the least. I honestly don't think it ever occurred to them to consider the beach itself as their private property. Far as they were concerned, owning to the MHWL just meant someone couldn't build between them and the beach. It was a kinder, simpler time, and I miss the heck out of it.

I agree completely...

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
...the TDC would NEVER let that happen...Hey! Maybe we can blackmail them by threatening to send the portfolio of photos to the St Pete Times (local papers wouldn't post the story) unless they get off their collective arses and do some serious cracking down on the overnight and abandoned beach crap and scrap.

sounds good to me.:D

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Whether you agree or disagree Mary has probably done more for the "get the crap" off the beach cause then anyone has done in a long time!

I was down in Seagrove last night and was appalled at all the crap left on the beach.

I truly feel if people were forced to bring there junk in at night they may think twice about what they bring down there. Imagine having fun at the beach without all that plastic junk....:roll:

I think this issue rates a photo expose' by the fabulous Kurt--especially the garbage heap left behind on the morning of the 5th of July before we haul our arses out of bed at 0'dark-thirty to clean up the mess. Me thinks that visitors may be under the impression that our beach cleans itself--or that the county has a "Disney-like" squad of cleaners who leap out from behind the dunes.

I really wish that one of the newspapers would do an expose..with full color photographs...showing just what is happening to the beaches--it would probably be picked up by AP and Facebook and Twitter and we would make the International News...to think that we have such a treasure in our natural habitat and we are destroying it...by neglect, laziness, and lack of government regulations that are appropriate or elected officials who have the courage to enforce the rules they've written.

It is disgraceful IMO.

This photo was taken near the "incident" about 9am this morning:

p6180031_s.jpg

...and nearby signs like this are posted:

p6060009_s.jpg

Hadn't looked at this thread since yesterday. I applaud all of these posters for their gutsy posts! SHELLY and gw...get on it!

SJ...once again, you have provided the pic that says it all. I snapped a little when I saw it. I am trying to think jsut how I would react if I had driven 12 hours in the car for our once a year vacation and walked down to the beach to see this junkpile....I probably would have cried. I can't imagine I would pay to return to such a mess the next year. Does the TDC really believe this is good PR????

jd

Beach Lover
Jun 11, 2008
Atlanta
...and I'm disturbed by the attitudes of the people who think leaving junk all over the beach is OK--so I guess it's a wash.

Disapproving of this lady's actions doesn't mean you believe leaving junk on the beach is ok. It just means you know there is a more rational, mature and LEGAL way of handling the situation!

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
This photo was taken near the "incident" about 9am this morning:

p6180031_s.jpg

...and nearby signs like this are posted:

p6060009_s.jpg

This is a disgrace. Since the Ordinance went into effect, this hasn't happened to this degree at Blue Mountain, but we have lifeguard stands, too. They do a great job watching the waters AND the beaches for violators.

Hope the County gets this revised soon so they can resume their duties.

jd

Beach Lover
Jun 11, 2008
Atlanta
wrobert, you are making assumptions, one being that people don't leave their beach crap on public beaches. Secondly, I don't recall cheering anyone on in this thread.

Seems that the law enforcement didn't have a problem removing tourists from the beach, but it when it comes to removing tourists beach crap, suddenly there is a problem. Go figure.

Lastly, if I'm walking on the beach at night and I fall into a canopy frame after tripping over the guidewire to said canopy, thereby crushing the leg of the tent, am I going to be hauled to jail? I've done just that, and it hurt like a mo-fo.

People, remove your crap daily.

Tourists were removed from the beach????? Sounds like there's a good story there!!! ;-)

Everytime

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelby County, Alabama
There is nothing illegal about being on the beach at night. I have walked in the morning and passed by people sleeping on their beach towel. During nesting season, it is recommended to not have bright lights as they will blind a turtle for awhile and should a nest hatch, the turtles naturally crawl toward light which is supposed to be the horizon and therfore the ocean. This is why some have come up with the red light covers as it is a part of the light spectrum that turtles apparently don't see and yet it gives people lighting to be able to see where they are going.

Thanks for clarifying this for me! I knew about the light hazard, but I had heard from some posters or notices in the past that humans shouldn't be (or sleep) on the beach at night because we are therefore a potential obstruction to a potential sea turtle who may be needing to lay potential eggs. Common sense would tell me to watch out for her and move out of her way, so I am glad we are not legislatively forbidden from traversing the beach at night.

wrobert, I think you would find that you and I probably agree on more political issues than we disagree on. The obvious exceptions appear to be overnight beach belongings and misplaced high rises. However, I always thought you were an anti-tax person, yet now you are wanting people to be taxed for designated t-shirts? Isn't that a bit burdensome and, well, over-taxing?