• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
I can think of exceptions to that rule -- garbage. People are constantly taking other's property when they pick up garbage. You may be missing the point that many people leave their crap on the beach, even when they are heading back to where ever they live, thinking that others may be able to use it.

The exception may be in that no one would prosecute you. But the law as written use to be pretty explicit. Have not looked at it lately so maybe it has changed.

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
Thank you OLL! Miss Sallie Williams would be proud! For those of you who just got here, Miss Sallie was a realtor who "developed" Seacrest in the early 1970's. She was passionate about the beach, and protecting the natural beauty that we enjoy. Pick up the trash, fill in the holes, explain things to our visitors, don't look to government or someone else to do it all -- and enjoy the beach once again. Life could be so good.

Miss Sallie sounds like a person I could respect and a realtor that cared about the area and not just making a sale. Sadly that is not the case with all realtors in the area.

Many wonder why some beach front property owners feel they "own" the beach. Well that is because that is what their realtor sold them. I have personally witnessed someone being told by a realtor that there is no reason to be concerned about others using the beach between their property and the Gulf, and that they don't need to be concerned about leaving their belongings over night on their property. And before anyone says that someone investing that much money should know the local situation, they hired a local "expert" to provide that info.

So maybe part of the problem is not just the tourists.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Littering on the feeder roads to 30A (also Scenic Hwy) carries a fine up to $500 per incident. Why the hell are our beaches not also protected like this? Seems to me that the biggest reason why our roads are designated as "scenic" is because they are the route to some of the prettiest beaches in the world. Leaving your crap on the beach overnight should be considered "littering" and should carry a fine at least as heavy as those issued for littering on the roads getting to the beach, IF NOT GREATER. The only problem with that is enforcement, because no one in their right mind is going to be laying claim to a $99 canopy and three year old plastic chairs with rusty frames, in exchange for a $500 fine. But, at least then, the abandoned property would really be abandoned as no owner is laying claim.

...and for the absent-minded yahoo who happens to leave his Rolex watch in the ice cooler on the beach overnight, he could lay claim to his watch and pay the $500 fine for littering and reclaim his watch.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Miss Sallie sounds like a person I could respect and a realtor that cared about the area and not just making a sale. Sadly that is not the case with all realtors in the area.

Many wonder why some beach front property owners feel they "own" the beach. Well that is because that is what their realtor sold them. I have personally witnessed someone being told by a realtor that there is no reason to be concerned about others using the beach between their property and the Gulf, and that they don't need to be concerned about leaving their belongings over night on their property. And before anyone says that someone investing that much money should know the local situation, they hired a local "expert" to provide that info.

So maybe part of the problem is not just the tourists.

I too, have heard one, but only one, Realtor shouting that the owner had full rights to all their property. The only problem with that particular Realtor is that he/she is not an attorney, but sounded as though he/she was giving legal consultation. Property rights are not determined by Realtors. ;-)

Beanstalk

Beach Lover
Apr 12, 2009
Abandoned or not, I do not believe you can legally destroy something that is not yours. The Florida theft statute is pretty comprehensive, basically taking of possession of anything that you know not to belong to you is theft.

And if destroying abandoned stuff was for the good of the turtles, how did it help to destroy it and leave the stuff in place, the turtle knows no difference between a float with air and a flat float.

Since it was already DISCARDED than it belonged to no one. IMO no law was broken other than maybe if she left it behind and "Littered"

a⋅ban⋅doned

 /əˈb?n
thinsp.png
dənd/ Show Spelled [uh-ban-duh
thinsp.png
nd] Show IPA
?adjective 1.forsaken or deserted: an abandoned building; an abandoned kitten.
2.unrestrained or uncontrolled; uninhibited: She danced with abandoned enthusiasm.
3.utterly lacking in moral restraints; shameless; wicked: an abandoned and dissolute ruler.

Origin:
1350?1400;
ME; see abandon 1 , -ed 2
thinsp.png

?Related forms a⋅ban⋅doned⋅ly, adverb

?Synonyms
1. discarded, rejected. 3. See immoral.

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
Littering on the feeder roads to 30A (also Scenic Hwy) carries a fine up to $500 per incident. Why the hell are our beaches not also protected like this? Seems to me that the biggest reason why our roads are designated as "scenic" is because they are the route to some of the prettiest beaches in the world. Leaving your crap on the beach overnight should be considered "littering" and should carry a fine at least as heavy as those issued for littering on the roads getting to the beach, IF NOT GREATER. The only problem with that is enforcement, because no one in their right mind is going to be laying claim to a $99 canopy and three year old plastic chairs with rusty frames, in exchange for a $500 fine. But, at least then, the abandoned property would really be abandoned as no owner is laying claim.

It is all about money.

The only reason that the ordiance to keep the beaches clean is not being enforced is that they are afraid to offend a paying guest that wants to be lazy and leave their crap on the beach overnight.

And years ago it probably was not that big of a problem for two reasons. One fewer people came to the area and people were just generally more responsible and caring about the impact their actions have on the area.

Now you have more visitors and more that simply do not care. Until the county truly begins to care, it is not going to improve. You can educate all you want but those willing to be educated are not the ones causing the problems.

A fine is a great idea on paper but will have no effect without enforcement and therein lies the problem.

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
I too, have heard one, but only one, Realtor shouting that the owner had full rights to all their property. The only problem with that particular Realtor is that he/she is not an attorney, but sounded as though he/she was giving legal consultation. Property rights are not determined by Realtors. ;-)

Exactly and you realize that and I do too, but the average person buying property is going to trust that local realtor.

Many when looking at a million dollar sale are going to tell the buyer what they want to hear instead of the truth.

Also if you call around and get info from some of the local beachfront associations about renting, they are spreading some untruths also about beach usage and cleanup.

I was specifically told that I could leave my stuff on the beach during my entire stay and it would be fine. Certainly I would not do that, but it was interesting that a local would be promoting this.

And again it comes down to money, the agent was more interested in my renting and less about the beach.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
I can think of exceptions to that rule -- garbage. People are constantly taking other's property when they pick up garbage. You may be missing the point that many people leave their crap on the beach, even when they are heading back to where ever they live, thinking that others may be able to use it.

Exactly why this guy has now stopped picking up garbage. I'm going to sit back and watch the beaches go to hell and when the tourists stop coming to the red-neck riveria, then the county will stand up and do what they should have done long ago.
Come to think of it, if the tourists stop coming here, then they won't be bringing tents and chairs and garbage and then the beaches will eventually clean themselves. Hmmmmmm......:roll:

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
...the TDC would NEVER let that happen...Hey! Maybe we can blackmail them by threatening to send the portfolio of photos to the St Pete Times (local papers wouldn't post the story) unless they get off their collective arses and do some serious cracking down on the overnight and abandoned beach crap and scrap.

This was tried at the local level. Several people gathered photos early in the morning and for several days, they were sent to local officials in an attempt to get their attention to how bad it was getting. Last I heard, the person who was sending in the photos was blocked from being able to send emails to county officials. How's that for a response folks from your elected officials?
:bang::bang: