• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ls2006vacay

Beach Lover
May 3, 2006
Hi!
I am coming down with my family Monday and had a few questions:

1) any recs for a natural/organic food store in Sowal or Destin?
2) I read the thread about the tent city. If we bring a tent to the beach and we always take it back down when we leave is that OK? Or will bringing stuff like that to the beach just make the locals hate us :sosad:
3) any recs on stuff to do with a toddler? aside from beach/pool? He is 19 mo. Is there a water park/splash park for young ones, zoo, playground, anything else?
Last question..
we're actually staying in Sanddestin (if it were my dollar, we'd be in Sowal.. ), is the traffic going to be really bad between sowal & sanddestin? I'd really like to spend some time in sowal

eep I thought of another one: is there a "sowal.com forum" for Destin? that you recommend.. a good destin forum.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
1) For the Health of It in Blue Mountain Beach has a wide selection.

2) The issue is tents left up for days and weeks at a time and often ultimately abandoned - bringing a tent to the beach each day, actively using it, and then taking it down each day when you leave the beach is perfectly okay.

3) No idea

4) Traffic could be an issue - but that is all relative based on where you are coming from.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
Kids activities

Check out bigkahunas.com and see if they might have something for your youngster. It is a huge water park right on the main highway through Destin West of where you'll be staying by a few miles.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
Kids activities

Also check out gulfarium.com that is located just before you cross the bridge into Ft Walton Beach.

sullygromo

Beach Lover
Jan 22, 2008
Don't worry about the tent city thread. Take your stuff, have a great time on the beach, and take it home w/ you. Just like you were going to do anyway....they're not talking about folks like you. Kahuna's for the little guy....he'll love it. FTHOI also has a nice juice bar..

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
your little one will love the water falls in the toddler play area at Destin Commons, right in front of the Rave movie theater. go to the Destin Commons web site, I think it is www.destincommons.com and see all the things they have going on...kids love it there. There is a playground at Baytown in Sandestin too, but check it out first; unless they have changed some things since last year, it gets really hot--

If you come to 30A, check out the fabulous playground at Alys Beach...let your little one climb the mountain, swing, play in the sand...it is a great play ground with picnic tables and some shade.

Last edited:

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Thanks for packing up the tent and stuff and taking it with you at the end of the day.

I don't think the traffic to & from SoWal will be a big issue...but parking once you get here might.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
If For the Health of It doesn't have it, the Publixes around here have some decent organic offerings. Also some good stuff at Toni's Produce Market (take the road between Grayton Beach and US 98, and look for the sign)

There's at least one playground in Sandestin, IIRC. Also, if you've got a YMCA membership back home, the Destin YMCA by Home Depot looks like it's got a nice children's area with its pool complex, and they sometimes have reciprocal agreements. Frank Brown Park on US 98 in Panama City Beach also has a nice children's area in its aquatic center, though I remember thinking they're a little pricey if you aren't a FL resident.

BeachbumAggie

Beach Fanatic
Jun 6, 2008
Arlington, TX
There's also a Fresh Market store in Destin that had really nice looking organic produce and foods.

The Village at Seacrest has a splash area in the little town center.

We've never had problematic traffic between Sandestin and 30A.

Reviews of vacations, hotels, resorts, vacation and travel packages - TripAdvisor, go to the forum and enter Destin; they have an active forum on tripadvisor

Have safe travels and a great time!