• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

skier

Beach Lover
Mar 7, 2005
Just looking at some prices in Watercolor and noticed that several lots and homes dropped prices between last week and this week. Looks like the market might be starting to move more toward reality.

Advance The Man

Beach Lover
May 19, 2005
skier said:
Just looking at some prices in Watercolor and noticed that several lots and homes dropped prices between last week and this week. Looks like the market might be starting to move more toward reality.

Not sure a week determines a trend. Here's the latest release prices for the June 28th release.

skier

Beach Lover
Mar 7, 2005
One week does not make a trend, BUT this is the first time I have seen prices dropped (versus increased) since the inception of Watercolor.

Also, many of the properties on the current price sheet are priced higher than the prices on the latest release from Arvida. The St. Joe folks probably have a better sense of what will sell and at what price that all the average Joes that are pricing based on what the herd currently thinks property should be worth.

skier said:

I have been watching the MLS for some time now and have noticed several price reductions BUT (IMHO) those properties were not seriously for sale. The price was set so high as to start a new trend. I've done the same thing. Offer something up for sale that you don't really want to sell and if somebody will pay that price great!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
RiverOtter said:
I have been watching the MLS for some time now and have noticed several price reductions BUT (IMHO) those properties were not seriously for sale.
Thank you RiverOtter. Well said. If we look at only the change of price, we should be concerned. If you take into account, the people selling and listing the property, their motivation, and their knowledge of market, things don't look so bad. If the sellers and agents were placing "realistic" prices on the properties, we would see great demand, and sales. As it stands, Buyers are taking a step back to evaluate rather than purchase. Just my two cents.

skier

Beach Lover
Mar 7, 2005
I disagree with you about the intent of the sellers dropping prices. Two recent decreases were by builders that can't afford to carry the property long term versus owners that are merely testing the waters. Bottom line--no one really knows at this point in time if the market is softening or not. But, it certainly looks like a bubble to me with huge amounts of inventory and only a small percent of people in the US that can afford $1.5 million plus for a second home. I would be willing to bet that there is now a 3 or more year supply on hand of lots and homes and maybe a bigger supply of condos.

skier said:
I disagree with you about the intent of the sellers dropping prices. Two recent decreases were by builders that can't afford to carry the property long term versus owners that are merely testing the waters.

Isn't this the same thing? The builder / developer may have $350/sq.ft. (I'm guessing here, I don't know the actual #'s) in a project (lot and house) and has listed the property for $550/sq.ft. Buyers aren't willing to pay $1,100,000 for a 2,000 sq.ft. house that is 1+miles to the beach so the builder/developer drops his price to $525/sq.ft.

Buckhead Rick

Beach Lover
Feb 15, 2005
Also do not forget the "short fuse" on some Watercolor property, like a stock option, the shorter time until expiration the less the option is worth. The last time I was getting a free cookie in the St Joe office a builder was discussing with the saleperson how much he should "low ball" the seller since there was only a few months to go before building had to start, they decided to offer $100m less that the $700m list- don't know the outcome. Like a golf shot, each one makes someone happy.

phdphay

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005
I was talking to someone here in Georgia tonight, and he said that he is putting his One Seagrove Place condo on the market just for the heck of it because he thinks the bubble is about to burst. A lot of people I know feel that way, whether it's true or not. I know some people who paid too much for a lot thinking that prices could only go up, yet construction costs are so high that they feel that if they built, they could never get their money back. So they're thinking about selling the lot. I think they might make a small profit on it, but it's minuscule compared to the profit made by the previous two owners.