• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Today my daughter was hit as she was at a complete stop behind a car that was stopped for someone crossing a crosswalk near Deer Park/Sea Crest. The elderly man (70) that ran into her had just arrived here with his family from Atlanta.

Thank goodness no one was hurt, but emotionally all were shaken up. She told me the impact pushed her into the car in front of her. She said that when he hit her his car then swerved around hers driving into the sand on the side of the road where he finally stopped. The car in front of her took off and did not wait for the police. I'm assuming he did not want to
talk with a police officer.

Because of the traffic on 331 it took a while to get a police officer there and he said that most everyone was working the 331 jam. Her car is a total mess with damage from one end to the other. I think she said the car of the man from Atlanta had to be towed too because of the damage.

My granddaughter was in the car and is very shaken and sick to her stomach. All she could say was that she felt sorry for the man from Atlanta because he looked so sad.

I am just so thankful that no one was hurt and there were witnesses that came to their aide.

Before that around mid-day I was returning home with my younger daughter and we were right behind a 2- 3 car crash on 98 between Publix and East Hulette. There were cars everywhere and young girls sobbing on the side of the road. It was another emotional shake-up and hopefully everyone is okay.

May we all drive with even more caution then we normally do.

Kat, I'm so glad everyone is okay - ((hugs))

As dangerous as 98 is, we have noticed we have FAR more near-misses on 30A. Fuzz and I drove from Inlet Beach to Grayton on 30A yesterday and he had to slam on brakes - not just slow down, stomp on them to the point the seat belts tightened up - three different times. :blink:

mommaDee

Beach Comber
Jun 17, 2009
I am a land locked Canadian
I just read this thread and am so glad to here everyone was okay in the accident. I saw the accident on Saturday as we were driving to our rental at Watersound. The damage did look bad. I marvelled at how that much damage could have happened on a relatively quiet stretch of road which has a fairly low speed limit. It just reinforces how we all must pay very strict attention to our driving at all times! My family and I had just completed a 20 hour drive through some pretty crazy traffic. While we are now in "paradise" I will still keep alert to the traffic! (I love the name Kat-- my daughter Kathryn prefers to be called "Kat" which is a perfect name for her)

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Thanks everyone...I think I'm more shook up from this accident then my daughter and granddaughter. Probably just reliving last year when in January I was hit from the rear by a Semi Truck as I slowed down behind someone turning. Then....2 months later I was in an accident where a college student ran a red light and pushed me into the middle of the Blvd. by Destin Commons. I have tried to teach my children to drive with extra caution, but sometimes no matter how cautious you are....well, it just doesn't matter when others are not watching or are driving reckless.

It seems the past few years I've noticed more and more that people seem to be taking more chances crossing in front of cars, passing cars right and left, going through red lights and continuing to turn in turn lanes after the light has turned red. I see this predominately on Hwy. 98, but 30A is getting pretty scary too. Everyone is in a hurry....not just people from out of town, but people who live and work along the Emerald Coast.

:dunno:

ThirtyAGal

Beach Lover
Jan 11, 2007
Tennessee
  1. Speeding
  2. Unsafe or too-frequent lane changing
  3. Not using turn signals
  4. Tailgating
  5. Not yielding the right of way
  6. Ignoring traffic signals
  7. Driving while impaired by alcohol or chemicals.
Don't forget:
  1. Applying makeup
  2. Yakking on the phone
  3. Reading
I was almost killed on the interstate in B'Ham on the way to Seagrove 3 yrs. ago, by a man who was READING while driving. Very frightening!