• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

mikecat adjuster

Beach Fanatic
Oct 18, 2007
Seagrove.
www.myspaceherspace.com
It's interesting. I went through Destin looking for some fins two days ago and found none. There were the cheap package deals at Walmart, but they were the strap kind that I find pinch me if not wearing a boot. And the mask and snorkel that came with it, I already have.

In fact, I have three masks that all are horrible. The only good mask I had was broken when I let someone on the beach borrow it. The reason it was 'good' was that the silicon was soft and felt comfortable on my face and it fit to where it did not leak easily.

Regarding fins, I went to Panama City yesterday and stopped at 8 to 10 places and again, did not come away with any fins. There were children's fins and the package deals with the open (adjustable) type fins, but again, I want the close foot kind. I guess I'll have to order some off the Net.

It's ironic. I live on the Gulf. You'd think stores around here would have fins galore. Well, gotta go. Oh, I'm still seeing a tremendous amount of NUrse sharks out there.

Walton Outdoors

Beach Fanatic
Oct 8, 2008
www.WaltonOutdoors.com

Franny

Beach Fanatic
Mar 27, 2005
Pt. Washington
We have purchased our gear from Dixie Divers in Panama City for years, great equipment. 850-914-9988. We had a great snorkeling trip yesterday. We went a little east of the Panama City pass and snorkeled in the clear area and then went over to the grassy area's. There were sea urchine, all kinds of small and medium sized fish and Canuck spooted a small Bonnett shark. Great day!

Arkiehawg

Beach Fanatic
Jul 14, 2007
SoWal
I found some pretty decent snorkeling sets and separately sold gear at
Scuba Gear, Scuba Equipment and Scuba Diving Equipment. Getwetstore.com - pretty basic shop. I liked the fact I could get "reader" lenses put in without much expense. They seem to have good prices and I got the Cobra snorkel and the Promate mask
Divers Supply - Discount Scuba Gear - Serious About Your Fun, and Your Savings! - these folks have higher end items, however not always in stock

You can get great deals on line if you shop around. That's the good news. The bad is that masks fit everyone differently and you really should try to test it by making sure you get a good seal on your face.

Tip> Go to a dive shop and try several masks until you find one that fits comfortably and seals well. Get the make/model and go online for deals.

I've done that many times in the past with great success.

TimeIsFree

Beach Lover
Sep 25, 2008
I've had a GRAYT set of US Divers snorkeling gear, and it was bought as a set, but it was so long ago I can't recall the store, but probably was Sports Authority in ATL. MAsk and fins are yellow, and I think they look great and offer high visibility to others while I'm out there.

Definitely get a silicon mask for better fit and more light. The plastic on mine is yellow, and the "lens" is one piece. It seems your field of view is better than masks w/ two "lens" (one for each eye). The yellow seems a bit brighter when looking thru, as many are dark blue or black. Some have a small "side lens" on either side to provide more light and aid in peripherial vision. Silicon will cloud when left out in the sun, so when you're not using it, place it in the shade or under a towel.

Snorkels these days are pretty hi-tech, and most seem to have a mechanism to keep water from waves going down the tube while swimming on top looking down. Most also have an easy method for clearing when holding your hand over the top and exhaling.

I too like the closed heal for snorkeling, although using them for SCUBA in situations of strong current is not recommended as it could get sucked off while kicking against the current. If the water is cold you'd need to wear bootties which don't fit when wearing the closed heal set, so adjustable heals can be handy in some instances. Many of the adjustable heal fins seem needlessly bulky for normal conditions in the Gulf.

I'm keeping an eye out for a new mask myself, as mine clouded after a friend took it to the beach for a week and left it in the sun everyday... The lens is a bit scratched, and so it's not as clear as I'd like. It seems the lens is some sort of plastic with a coating on the outside that scratches pretty easily, so always take care when cleaning the lens.

I 've always loved snorkeling off the beach by our condo in W.PCB. There's usually something fun to watch or find, even when there's not much real fish action on the open sand. It's just so relaxing to go out and swim around in that clear emerald water, especially on the backside of the second sandbar with all that white sugar sand. I just wish I wasn't so freaked about maybe seeing sharks when I drop anchor and climb out of the kayak out there.

wishin' i was swimmin' out there now!!!

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA

ozbeachmom

Beach Lover
Feb 8, 2007
Kansas/miramar beach
Thanks all for the advice! I went over to the local dive shop here and they were having a great sale. Purchased a mask for 1/2 price and researched the fins (not on sale) so will purchase them on line since i was able to try them on and know what I want. Looking forward to coming at the end of the month and using all my new gear.

ChillPill

Beach Fanatic
Apr 8, 2009
I'm so glad you started this thread. I will use the great advice offered as well.

After being out on Grayton Beach today and seeing the incredible activity in the water I must go shopping immediately too. It was fabulous, the water was clear & the schools of fish were passing right on the edge of the first sandbar, some even closer in- one right after the other. Amazing to view. Get your gear ready and come enjoy this!