• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
It's better than March or April. ;-)
I don't even attempt to get in the water during spring break. I am very cold natured.

October 15 is about my cut-off date for a good swim and this is from someone who likes her water like soup. ;-)
The first weekend in October the Gulf is nice and warm. The second weekend it's usually good. But October 15 (when we're there for fall break) is my cutoff, too.

ls2006vacay

Beach Lover
May 3, 2006
So what's the deal with black flies? Is that an Oct. thing? Is it every year? I am not familiar. I have one vague childhood memory of them though..

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
So what's the deal with black flies? Is that an Oct. thing? Is it every year? I am not familiar. I have one vague childhood memory of them though..

From what I recall the flies come mostly in September as a result of shifting winds (coming from the north).

Get some Cactus Juice and you'll be fine. I think For the Health of It and a few other places on 30A sell it...

Yes- the Gulf is very swim worthy in October...

ThirtyAGal

Beach Lover
Jan 11, 2007
Tennessee
:dunno:Cactus juice? The last remedy I heard down there was Publix distilled vinegar (which really doesn't work that well). Tell me more....

happy2Bme

Beach Fanatic
Sep 24, 2007
Sowal
Yeah, I know, we just left and I'm already trying to come back..

Is October swimmable? Weather.com said the avg high was 80. I'm thinking that might be a little cool for my toddler (?) Or is it really warm enough to swim?
Maybe Sept would be better?

I prefer to live vicariously off the tourists.....being a Southern Floridian, transplanted to "the north", my blood is WAY to thin to swim in anything but a heated pool/jacuzzi come October!

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
October could be chilly for a toddler, but it's a great time to swim for older kids/adults.

I swim Easter to Halloween, but I am a water baby who used to swim in snow melt.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
:dunno:Cactus juice? The last remedy I heard down there was Publix distilled vinegar (which really doesn't work that well). Tell me more....

Cactus Juice is a repellent, IIRC the distilled vinegar is to south bites. Although usually ammonia works good for insect bites, vinegar for jellyfish.

SRB Pete

Beach Comber
Nov 19, 2008
ATL & SRB

Is October swimmable? Weather.com said the avg high was 80. I'm thinking that might be a little cool for my toddler (?) Or is it really warm enough to swim?

Is the wild bear a Catholic? Does the pope ... (er, never mind)

Grayton Kid

Beach Fanatic
Dec 7, 2005

I swim year round, haha. I surf so I get in the water whenever the waves are up, not going by the temperature. I think it feels nice in October, it might be a little chilled though.