• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Veronica99

Beach Lover
Mar 10, 2009
Mi Cocina vs. My Kitchen

How could I resist a visit to Mi Cocina as I live full time in the condos above the restaurant. The atmosphere looked inviting and the christmas lights illuminating the outdoor tables give the appearance of a village cafe. Unfortunately despite the tables, and the presence of to-go boxes for customer doggie-bags, there was neither outdoor service, or to go service. Sad for me as the smells were dragging me in however I wished to spend time with my dog and my son and would have loved to bring the fiesta home...

So I returned for lunch before a day at the beach with my sister and my son at a later time anticipating that the smells would deliver to my tastebuds. The hostess seated us at a table in the main dining room where the high traffic of the day was evident. The table we were seated at as well as the floors needed attention. Automatically a server assistant brought chips and salsa - usually a good barometer of what is to come. Unfortunately the salsa had no character and the chips were thick, hard, and dare I say stale.

I requested new chips, and the second batch was the ugly cousin to the first. When the actual server appeard several minutes later (We really needed some water to wash down those chips) I asked if there were any other options for the salsa, and was told there was some bottled hot sauce that might heat it up. Not exactly what I was expecting from a place I hear was furnished with pieces imported from Mexico...

When we asked the server's opinion on what to order she said she liked the chicken tacos. I asked if they were nice and moist, and she said "No, they are dry, but I don't really eat anything else on the menu". Ok - I was thrown a little off balance, but we are on the beautiful Emerald Coast, so the fish tacos caught my eye. I asked - "What do people say about the fish tacos?" She replied, "They are good I guess but like I said I don't really eat them."

My son ordered a taco with rice and beans on the side, never got the rice, and the beans could have been used to lay bricks. I couldn't even swallow them.
The fish tacos came out and looked pretty, light and fresh, but the glamour disappeared on the first bite. I was told the fish was grouper. This was not grouper, and it was overcooked. There were no seasonings or any flare to the tacos at all.

I again requested a flavored sour cream, hotter salsa, or something to help me enjoy this meal, however there were no options available. I removed the fish from the tacos and explained to the server that it was not grouper. She was not sure how to respond and I was not prepared to hear once again how she doesn't eat anything on the menu - that should have been my first clue!

All that being said, the margarita with the sangria swirl was refreshing and may have provided me the tranquility needed to complete the lunch without a tantrum. So - as I always promise to give every establishment more than one chance, I returned tonight at 9:50 in hopes to revisit the one thing I remembered fondly - the margarita.

When I walked in I asked the hostess, "Is it too late for a margarita?" The sign on the door states that the bar is open until 10pm... She told me I should ask the bartender. When I approached the bar, two girls with some beers who appeared as though they may have been servers told my sister and I that the bar was closed, the bar staff appeared to be in the back cleaning up, however there were still customers in the bar. I lingered for a moment in hopes to get the attention of a bartender, but no luck. Obviously this establishment is doing so well that two customers, a bad lunch, lack of service, or any individual experience is unimportant. I hope our tourists don't figure this out, or Mi Cocina may be in trouble...

HeyJude

Beach Comber
Oct 2, 2008
This is interesting but my buds and I had an almost exact same experience as you when we went. We had given it a whirl right when they opened so never said anything as it's unfair to judge during the first week while kinks are still being worked out, etc. Fish tacos were actually spit out, chips tasted old, salsa was crushed tomatoes and that is all, queso tasted burnt and chicken tacos were as dry as a bone. And we didn't even get beans and rice as they didn't have any. I did promise myself I would give them another shot, though, but after reading your experience may wait a bit longer as the kinks are still there. I only wish them the best of luck as we need this kind of place here although El Mercadita does a great job and it's about 1/10th the cost.

hummous&carrots

Beach Comber
Dec 1, 2007
Mi Cocina is fabulous! I went for the second time the other day for lunch and Anna and George have done it again!
I "behaved" and got the mexican salad with chicken and it was awesome! The interiors are also fabulous! They really did a lot to warm up and large and stale space. I love the large dog painting and all the fun colored pots.
I just gotta get back and get myself one of their delicious margaritas!
Congrats Ann and George!

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Hi friends,

When we opened Mi Cocina just 7 weeks ago we named it after our favorite restaurant in Dallas that friend’s own. We ran the “traps” to make sure we could use the name but did not catch the national trademark they own. It was our boo-boo. Aren’t our lives a constant lesson? So, we are changing the name from Mi Cocina to La Cocina (the kitchen in Spanish) …… just wanted you to know since you might start to notice the change.

After Labor Day we have great plans to tighten up our menu--- give you more of what you are loving the most! You’ll see a Happy Hour from 4-6 daily, more appetizers, more specialty margaritas (I’ve been the taster and they are YUMMY)—made with fresh fruits, more combination plates (enchiladas and tacos just like you like it) and $6.95 lunch specials that’ll make you want to eat there every day of the week!! So, great things are happening at LA COCINA… we’re even installing a TV in our bar for football season!!

We are so blessed and fortunate to call YOU our friends as well as our customers and we THANK YOU for your support—always! WE love your feedback too… so tell us… we want to be your favorite Mexican restaurant!

Thanks for passing the word …………..

Ann and George

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I actually really enjoyed the fish taco I had there. It obviously wasn't the usual tilapiacrapia, but I didn't ask what it was. We ate at the bar, and the bartender (didn't catch her name) was very attentive and friendly. Weak points were hostesses-we arrived after 9pm and they were obviously way more interested in whatever it was they would be doing after work than getting us a table. margarita has already been beaten to death above and rightly so. I would give the place a try, eat in the bar, stick with cerveza or soft drinks.

BigEasy

Beach Crab
Jun 7, 2008
Not Telling the Truth

To those of you that read the story about George and Ann having to change the name of Mi Cocina I would like to tell you the truth about why they had to change the name. I am from Dallas and was the first to call my friends at M Crowd Restaurant group to alert them about this restaurant using their name. Mico who is the owner of M Crowd was shocked and very upset that this organization would degrade his lifes work by stealing his name. George and Ann put in the post about how they are "friends" with Mico and the M crowd group when in fact this organization had no idea who these people were until I alerted them. It is a shame that the Hartley's must lie about trying to steal the name of the best Tex Mex food in Dallas. Mico and I just really felt strongly about setting the record straight. If anyone has any questions or would like to speak with Mico or anyone at M Crowd about the real story please feel free to give them a call. 972-960-7774 Thank you to those of you that can see the truth in this matter.

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
To those of you that read the story about George and Ann having to change the name of Mi Cocina I would like to tell you the truth about why they had to change the name. I am from Dallas and was the first to call my friends at M Crowd Restaurant group to alert them about this restaurant using their name. Mico who is the owner of M Crowd was shocked and very upset that this organization would degrade his lifes work by stealing his name. George and Ann put in the post about how they are "friends" with Mico and the M crowd group when in fact this organization had no idea who these people were until I alerted them. It is a shame that the Hartley's must lie about trying to steal the name of the best Tex Mex food in Dallas. Mico and I just really felt strongly about setting the record straight. If anyone has any questions or would like to speak with Mico or anyone at M Crowd about the real story please feel free to give them a call. 972-960-7774 Thank you to those of you that can see the truth in this matter.

Degrade his life's work? Stealing the name?

Dude, they opened a restaurant in FL and named it after their favorite place in Texas. Then they found out that it could cause legal issues so they are changing the name. And they have acknowledged their mistake.

Why all the drama?

Sheesh...

EDIT: Did you register a Sowal ID just for this? That was your first post...

Last edited: