• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Hop

Beach Fanatic
Oct 1, 2006
Dune Allen
www.myspace.com
We do get nurse sharks here on a regular basis. We actually get a lot of different sea life here that you don't normally hear about.

Whale Shark Spotted Off Panama City Beach Coast

Most people didn't hear about it since it was spotted on July 4th. Here's the video:

YouTube - Panama City SCUBA Diving with a Whale Shark

Finally since they filmed it here's the plug:

Panama City Dive Charters - Scuba diving charters, specializing in wreck and spearfishing dives off Panama City and Panama City Beach, Florida.

thanks for sharing swgb...what an awesome sight.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Whale shark or not, I am not riding on the tail of a shark that is over ten feet long! (probably not even one which is two feet long.) CHOMP!

JUL

Beach Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
Madison, Alabama
I wonder if we will ever see the squid coming on shore like on the Pacific Coast. I think I would rather encounter a shark than a squid and it's tentacles!

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
SWGB thanks for that plug about Panama City Dive Charters. I had not heard of them. Sounds like they would be a great trip for those who dive.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Whale shark or not, I am not riding on the tail of a shark that is over ten feet long! (probably not even one which is two feet long.) CHOMP!

Nurse sharks go after krill (sp?) and your a pretty big guy so I believe you are safe. Never heard of anyone being gummed to death.

SWGB thanks for that plug about Panama City Dive Charters. I had not heard of them. Sounds like they would be a great trip for those who dive.

Yes, but they will admit that there's no guarantee you'll see a nurse shark. This was a fluke really. They were actually just finishing up a dive when they saw and immediately jumped back in.

jack S

Beach Lover
Jun 12, 2007
There should be an award presented to the lifeguard! Outstanding job! It ain't no pool out there!

We do get nurse sharks here on a regular basis. We actually get a lot of different sea life here that you don't normally hear about.

Whale Shark Spotted Off Panama City Beach Coast

Most people didn't hear about it since it was spotted on July 4th. Here's the video:

YouTube - Panama City SCUBA Diving with a Whale Shark

Finally since they filmed it here's the plug:

Panama City Dive Charters - Scuba diving charters, specializing in wreck and spearfishing dives off Panama City and Panama City Beach, Florida.

THanks for sharing this... I was actually in Sowal on the 4th:clap:, had heard about the siting, but never knew there was any video.... I have tried for years to dive with one.. it is just so rare..

Around 5-ish....lifeguards whistle everyone out of the water as a 12 foot Bull Shark was swimming back and forth in between the two sandbars. One of the lifeguards had to go after a man snorkeling for sand dollars who did not hear the whistle. His wife was frantic on the beach and everyone else too. Two red flags immediately went up.

I don't know this life guard's name, but he deserves an award for jumping on his rescue board and going out past the shark and bringing this man in. :clap: He had to get off his board and help the man on and then jump on himself and paddle in. He said as they were coming through waist to chest high water the shark swam right under the board.....saying that he was face to face with it.

The shark swam around a while then took off straight back into the deep. Apparently this is how he entered....straight on, not coming down the beach. If you were there maybe you can add to this.

Thank heavens no one was hurt.

First and foremost KUDOS to the lifeguard...but while our beaches are the most beautiful beaches in the world.. it is a fact.. they are out there.. most of the time..we just don't always see them... This happens every couple of years, with an influx of more than usual sightings...and THANK THE LORD, no one was injured.. But with the sargassum (SP?) grass acting as a nursery for all the little creatures.. you can find almost anything in that grass, from baby lobsters, fish, turtles and etc... which brings the fish to feed on the babies, therefore you have the bigger fish to feed on them and it only works up on the food chain of the sea...I am an avid diver and I have gone LOOKING for sharks.and most of the time, not finding them....they are dangerous, but.usually they are more scared of us than we are of them...accidents do happen.. but you have a better chance of being run over by a vehicle walking across the street, than you do of being bitten by a shark..I am thrilled by their beauty and also have a healthy respect for the awesome creatures, all of them,, of the sea...WE have to remember though.. sharks have outlived the dinosaurs..and that is something in this day and time....ENJOY our beautiful beaches.......with respect of course:wave: