• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ThirtyAGal

Beach Lover
Jan 11, 2007
Tennessee
I hate hate hate this thread. I am terrified of SNAKES!!! One of the reason I like to go to the beach and not the lake (many of which are much closer!) is because I think lakes have too many snakes. The fact that this little boy was bitten in Seacrest, where our house is. . . .makes me want to cancel our upcoming vacation. UUGGGGHHHH. . . . .please ask all snakes to exit the area. PLEASE!!!!!

:yikes:I feel EXACTLY the way you do. I had never seen snakes at the beach until I started going to SoWal. As much as I love the place - I don't know why they don't put snake fences around the whole area!

Roy Hardin

Beach Lover
Jul 18, 2009
After my snake bite, and hospital stay, we learned if you use snakeaway,around and or mothballs around your shrubs, keep your property trimmed and neat, the snakes are less likely to have prey. We removed our pinestraw which bugs, frogs and birds love ,then come the snakes. If you need some help, Call Jessica @(850)830-6743

futurebeachbum

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Snellsburg, GA
www.myfloridacottage.com
jump like a screaming sissy.

That is actually my standard response to a snake I come upon all of a sudden. :shock:

If I've seen them a little ahead of time, from a distance, I've got no problem with them will either avoid them or play with them if I am sure they are not poisonous.

Surprise me with one though and I scream for sure.

futurebeachbum

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Snellsburg, GA
www.myfloridacottage.com
Can you post a photo of the snake so we can know what it looks like?

Nice article on them here:eNature: FieldGuides: Species Detail

Here's one
ar0132_1m.jpg

Try this link to see a few more of the critters.

gardening1970

Beach Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
Atlanta
:lolabove:Of course I am! However there are probably many snake-o-phobes, like me, out there, and if I could invent such a thing I am sure I would be able to afford a house like Charlie Hilton's.

Please get to work on that fantastical fence - I'll buy one! Our yard is mostly wooded and includes a shallow creek, providing habitation for a bit too much nature on some days. I love to garden and am very concerned that one day I will find the snake too late to get out of the way. Just weeding the bank of juniper is a scary task. For years, we joked about the Easter Snake we would stumble across annually while hiding eggs. My golden retrievers seem to smell them and will halt in their tracks if a snake is around. One day they wouldn't leave the back porch steps. I follow their lead.

ThirtyAGal

Beach Lover
Jan 11, 2007
Tennessee
Please get to work on that fantastical fence - I'll buy one! Our yard is mostly wooded and includes a shallow creek, providing habitation for a bit too much nature on some days. I love to garden and am very concerned that one day I will find the snake too late to get out of the way. Just weeding the bank of juniper is a scary task. For years, we joked about the Easter Snake we would stumble across annually while hiding eggs. My golden retrievers seem to smell them and will halt in their tracks if a snake is around. One day they wouldn't leave the back porch steps. I follow their lead.

:cool:For $5,000.00 and three Valium I will weed that yard for you.

Just kidding - if I lived in a place like that (though it sounds beautiful) I wouldn't leave the house.