• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
SWGB thanks for that plug about Panama City Dive Charters. I had not heard of them. Sounds like they would be a great trip for those who dive.

They are an excellent operation. The Dive Shop is owned/operated by Mike Gomez who has years of experience in Panama City Beach. I use to manage Hydrospace Dive Shop, but have recently found out that PCDC has bought out Hydrospace and all their boats.. I highly recommend them...If you are certified, by all means go see him and if you are not, he is an instructor too and can teach you this wonderful sport.... GO BLOW SOME BUBBLES..it's GREAT fun....

tistheseason

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Atlanta, GA
If I was going to swim with a shark, it would be a whale shark. Although I have to question the fact that they eat only plankton. They are so big. . .how can someone eat that much plankton. I bet they supplement every once in a while with a fish or small person!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Whale Sharks are actually one of the most docile creatures eating only plankton and jelly fish... BOY OH BOY.. I only wish I had been there.. a one in a lifetime experience.....:D

...and elephants and hippos are vegetarians, but you wont find me petting wild elephants or hippos. :D

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007

happy2Bme

Beach Fanatic
Sep 24, 2007
Sowal
I doubt that fishing for whale sharks with krill as bait would be near as exciting as fishing for alligators with poodles as bait!

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
What's really scary is flying along the beach and seeing just how many sharks are out there. :eek: Even Parasailing gives you a bird's eye view of the sharks.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I doubt that fishing for whale sharks with krill as bait would be near as exciting as fishing for alligators with poodles as bait!

You know it's a poodle that was responsible for the do not feed the gators signs? ;-)

What's really scary is flying along the beach and seeing just how many sharks are out there. :eek: Even Parasailing gives you a bird's eye view of the sharks.

There not always there. Me and scooterbug flew with FFF from SanDestin to St. Joe along the coast and saw only 1-2. Those were even kind of in dispute as well.

Sharks in the Panhandle

Hi guys I just found this forum from the incoming links to my website when the whale shark video was posted (thanks for the plug). The whale shrks was an opportunity of a lifetime, at least so we thought but it turns out that they have been spotted quite a few times this Summer from Orange Beach to PCB and everywhere in between. I know that locally several of the dive operations have been lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time like we were on the 4th of July. A point of clarification though, we are not the same as Panama City Dive Center who bought the old Hydrospace boats, but rather we are a smaller boat and certification operation with no retail shop.... we just pretty much just dive.

As an avid spearfisherman I have been in the water with many aggressive sharks and they are only ever trying to get our fish. When we are just diving they are seldom around and never aggressive. While I have no doubt the shark sighting at the beach that day was exciting and the lifeguard's actions were indeed selfless, there was never any real danger to the swimmer and I'd go further and bet the shark was more likely 8' if it was a bull. Bulls in the double digits are very very rare especially in the gulf. As to the question of a ratio to encounters with swimmers versus bites...... its a really lopsided ratio. Spearfishing on scuba gear means we shoot, kill and keep our catch on us while we continue our dive. Wounded fish struggling on a spearshaft send out a vibration through the water up to a quarter of a mile out in all direction which is pretty much like ringing a dinner bell to a shark. So here we are, with dead fish attached to us and curious sharks cruising around to see if they can get a meal.... and everyone spearo I know has all his or her fingers toes and other appendages still firmly attached.

I boils down to the fact that most attacks are simply mistaken identity or curiosity. Most human infants put stuff in their mouth's to figure out what they are dealing with, and with no hands, sharks are even more likely to take an investigative nibble on an unfamiliar object. Its hardly an attack but if the shark is large enough it can still be fatal to us. The only people I know who have been bit by sharks or barracudas while diving were messing with them first.

Also in my experience with local waters the limestone reefs offshore of Sea Grove Beach are home to more adult bull sharks than anywhere else in the Panhandle, yet some how everyone seems to survive their beach visit year after year. Its only the rare exception and the primal nature of the fear it arouses in us that so captures our imagination when it comes to sharks. It would be far more prudent to worry about being hit by a drunk driver, something that is statistically much more likely and more deadly.

-Capt Pat Green
Panama City Dive Charters