• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

bluemtnrunner

Beach Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
Red on the head,you're dead!

Alright, I'm getting conflicting information here kids. Red on the head your dead....Coral Snake black on the head...dead....Pit viper dead, not pit viper...neuro toxin....dead. Triangular head, dead....skinny head....dead.

I'm with SWGB...If it slithers, coils or shakes, it is probably a harmful snake.

Paige

Beach Lover
Mar 6, 2005
Arkansas
Red and yellow, kill a fellow, red and black a friend of Jack. So if red meets yellow it is a coral snake, and if red meets black it is ok.

Also, coral snakes do not have fangs like most people think of fangs, so it has to be attached for a period of time to get its toxin in you.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
OK, I'm definitely wearing boots when I come to SoWal next week and I now have an excuse not to weed. We just got back from Italy and wearing short boots with dresses is particularly fashionable this summer, so boots with bathing suits should be the SoWal version of this fashion.

dogflyguy

Beach Lover
Sep 24, 2007
Hey Everybody!!
The easiest way to remember if its bad is think of them as red lights if you see yellow proceed with caution and if you see red "Stop" (or run the other way). I have to agree if it was around five feet it was more than likely a Mud snake.

happy2Bme

Beach Fanatic
Sep 24, 2007
Sowal
Hey Everybody!!
The easiest way to remember if its bad is think of them as red lights if you see yellow proceed with caution and if you see red "Stop" (or run the other way). I have to agree if it was around five feet it was more than likely a Mud snake.

another good rule of thumb is to remember that, in Florida anyway, most poisonous snakes (excepting the coral snake) have a definitively triangular-shaped head and stubby tails, as opposed to a the nonpoisonous which tend to have heads shaped like a thumb, with longer, narrower tails. The best rule of thumb is: don't stick around to admire it if you don't know what kind of snake it is!