• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

IRIETYMES

Beach Lover
Jul 9, 2007
We were headed to OFFH, Old Florida ya know what, yesterday afternoon for the special pricing from Sundog's and ended up behind a golf cart cruising at about 15 mph on 30A from One Seagrove Place until it turned in at OFFH. The folks were waving to pedestrians and acted as if it were a parade which it was not. I asked the guy driving if he was a taxi and he said no he rented the cart and I told him I thought they weren't supposed to be on the roads and he informed me that the rental agency, Butterflies, stuck a temporary tag on his cart and he could drive it anywhere. Any new reg's on this we don't know about? We were told several years ago that it was illegal to drive them on the streets unless just crossing the highway to a beach access point or into a development.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Unfortunately with a tag (that was obtained properly) they are street legal.

My biggest pet peeve are the people who under some BS impression that the blue stripes in front of PBTS is a parking area for them. It's not, I don't care how quickly you are running in, it's wrong, and the people that do it are incredibly worthless human beings.

kkddbb

Banned
May 13, 2009
get used to it folks! i hate it too, but it is what it is. its really no different than a construction tractor. we all have to share the roads. tip: dont take 30a if your in a rush

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
To be legal on the streets, the tricked out golf carts must be on 'low speed' roadways (35mph or less and, according to Florida code:

2) A low-speed vehicle must be equipped with headlamps, stop lamps, turn signal lamps, taillamps, reflex reflectors, parking brakes, rearview mirrors, windshields, seat belts, and vehicle identification numbers.

Some good quick info about low speed vehicles and golf carts here:

Florida Law

nodilberthere

Beach Fanatic
Aug 10, 2007
Why would anybody pay 700 bucks to rent one of these stupid things for a week, or even for a day it's 150 smackerooos???? Isn't it easier and safer to just use your car, or with that nice bike trail -- burn some energy and ride a bicycle?

Here at home, I get so annoyed seeing little toddlers in my neighborhood, nobody's kid rides a tricycle anymore....they all have electric cars. And then they wonder why junior is 20 pounds fatter than he should be :blink:

Yesterday I almost got run over by four kids in a Jeep Wrangler going to get my mail at the curb.....and they beeped and yelled at me. If they weren't four years old, I would have shot them the finger.:bang:

IRIETYMES

Beach Lover
Jul 9, 2007
Alrighty then, let's look like every other traffic bound, golf cart putting, cheek-to-jowl area of the Panhandle and turn this into motor vehicle heaven instead of a quiet retreat away from all of that. I give up. Never in a hurry down here but expect everyone to respect everyone else and maybe now and then look behind and give way to real traffic. Now don't get me started on bicycles that want us to believe "We are traffic, too," when in reality they are traffic impediments, too. But then again, that's just me.....hehehe

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I love how people think a compact car or a Smart car is a death trap, but don't see any reason why they can't drive a golf cart down the HIGHWAY w/ kids hanging off the sides. :bang:

kkddbb

Banned
May 13, 2009
I love how people think a compact car or a Smart car is a death trap, but don't see any reason why they can't drive a golf cart down the HIGHWAY w/ kids hanging off the sides. :bang:

i agree. but, respectfully smart and/or compact cars are death traps. 30A is very different from everyday road usage than in most communities. 30A traffic is fairly slow for scenic viewing versus most roadways. ive been in many accidents and i certainly wouldnt have wanted to be in anything other than a standard sized car or truck. heck, i feel safer on my bike on the bike trail than anywhere else for that matter.

Yzarctoo

Beach Fanatic
Mar 6, 2009
I own a street legal 4 wheel drive electrical cart...it is fully street legal, and comes with regular car insurance. I am unable to go out on to a street that has speeds posted higher than 35 mph. So I don't...I stay in my community. I do have a beach permit that allows me to go on beach...my cart is small, doesn't take up much parking space, doesn't use gas and I find it ideal for the small community in which I live. Perhaps the cart renter was not familiar with the Florida rules. Personally I have found 30A a rather slow moving road...slow drivers enjoying the beautiful view, bikers in clusters, slow moving construction vehicles, and folks not understanding 4 way stops. It's just part of the charm (?) of 30A.