• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Rollin' Tide

Beach Comber
Oct 6, 2008
Walton County now has a Florida Virtual School franchise. Local teachers facilitate virtual courses for home schooled students within Walton County. Courses are available for middle and high school students. If you need more information, contact the office of instruction and curriculum or student services at the Walton County School District (892-1100).

melscuba

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
Roswell, Ga hoping SoWal someday
Walton County now has a Florida Virtual School franchise. Local teachers facilitate virtual courses for home schooled students within Walton County. Courses are available for middle and high school students. If you need more information, contact the office of instruction and curriculum or student services at the Walton County School District (892-1100).

Are children allowed to supplement their education with Florida's virtual school (i.e. AP courses that may not be offered at the local public school)? To clarify... these kids would still attend public school for some classes and use Florida's virtual school to gain access to courses that may not be offered at their local school.

rocketman

Beach Comber
Jun 28, 2008
melscuba:
My suggestion would be to visit the Florida Virtual School website. It is very comprehensive in explaining the courses being offered. You will find it is an excellent opportunity and source for enhancing a child's education. One wishes you the best in your endeavors.

Respectfully,
Rocketman

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com

Okay, explain. Several students in Walton County have already been attending FVS. And FVS classes were available at the schools in the past, so what does having a franchise add to the equation?

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Okay, explain. Several students in Walton County have already been attending FVS. And FVS classes were available at the schools in the past, so what does having a franchise add to the equation?

I believe it has something to do with Walton County schools getting to "count" the students taking FVS classes. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I remember this being the gist- for example, the district will now be able to count home schooled kids using FVS in their enrollment? Maybe Mark can jump in here and correct/explain my awful explanation! But I am thinking there is more incentive for the schools to promote/offfer FLV info now that they are getting credit for the students taking the courses.

And yes, Melscuba- you can supplement with FVS. We are using it for a foreign language supplement, and our son will go to the media center for 1 class and work on the computer for his online class.

mdd88jd

Beach Lover
May 26, 2008
I believe it has something to do with Walton County schools getting to "count" the students taking FVS classes. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I remember this being the gist- for example, the district will now be able to count home schooled kids using FVS in their enrollment? Maybe Mark can jump in here and correct/explain my awful explanation! But I am thinking there is more incentive for the schools to promote/offfer FLV info now that they are getting credit for the students taking the courses.

And yes, Melscuba- you can supplement with FVS. We are using it for a foreign language supplement, and our son will go to the media center for 1 class and work on the computer for his online class.

The change is something that legislature offered and we are trying to take advantage of this year. By applying for and getting a "franchise" we can get money (FTE) for home schooled kids who can take a virtual online class through our system. The other kids who have used Florida Virtual Online School to supplement their school schedule will still be able to do so. Should be no change to their use of virtual online classes.

Rollin' Tide

Beach Comber
Oct 6, 2008

The franchise allows for local homeschool students to be able to access virtual classes that may have waiting lists through Florida Virtual School. Right now several classes are closed, with wait lists, through Florida Virtual. The Walton franchise has classes open to only Walton students and the students are able to begin classes immediately instead of being wait-listed with other students throughout the state.

At this time, homeschooled students in sixth through twelfth grade are the only students being accepted into the Walton Virtual classes. Students enrolled in local schools should go through Florida Virtual to take additional classes....there is discussion that Walton may expand this service to students enrolled in brick and mortar schools, but there are many changes that need to occur before this can happen (Student Progression Plan, graduation requirements, etc.).

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
The change is something that legislature offered and we are trying to take advantage of this year. By applying for and getting a "franchise" we can get money (FTE) for home schooled kids who can take a virtual online class through our system. The other kids who have used Florida Virtual Online School to supplement their school schedule will still be able to do so. Should be no change to their use of virtual online classes.

Mark,

If getting the franchise allows the district to get FTE, what do they bring to the equation for those dollars? There is no way the State is just 'gifting' money without taking it from something else.

mdd88jd

Beach Lover
May 26, 2008
Don't know the answer to that wrobert. I will try to find out though. It seemed fishy to me too....