• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Listen to the Mp3 file for Today's News Segment 2 http://www.wzep1460.com/Tues</SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN>day</SPAN>%20Segment%202.mp3</SPAN></SPAN>

Jail Uniforms Changed When Jail Changed

They went from green to black when the county went from Sheriff managed to county managed. Yesterday we reported on the donation of equipment from the Walton Sheriff?s Office to the Holmes Sheriff?s Office. First News talked to Danny Glidewell, Walton Corrections Director who says they had to make a number of changes and purchases when the county took over the jail operations.

Glidewell says they had to buy new uniforms because the old ones had a star and sheriff?s department patches on them. To take the patches off and replace them would take time and labor costs. The old uniforms also had green pants with a gray shirt. The green uniforms are reserved for sheriff?s departments. Glidewell also says they had to buy all new road crew equipment.

In the long run the Corrections Department has a cheaper uniform. Glidewell says what they changed to only costs about $8 to $12 a piece where the regular uniform shirts were around $35 each.

Glidewell also says the jail has food costs down an additional .19 due to the use of the garden. He says the July meal price came to .50 a meal, which is down from .69. Glidewell says this is attributed to the garden. He attributes this and other savings to the employees, saying, ?They have worked hard to keep costs down.? Glidewell feels the employees at the jail and in other parts of the county should be given credit for the cost savings because they are having to ?do more with less.? When the county took over the jail operations, the cost was over $1 a meal. Glidewell says they have been holding the line on costs.

The jail averages over 200 inmates a day, times three meals a day at .19 a meal, that equates to over $100 a day in savings. The Jail works with its neighbor, Walton Correction Institute to produce the garden. They are currently in the process of planting the fall garden.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Listen to the Mp3 file for Today's News Segment 2 http://www.wzep1460.com/Tues</SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN>day</SPAN>%20Segment%202.mp3</SPAN></SPAN>

Jail Uniforms Changed When Jail Changed

They went from green to black when the county went from Sheriff managed to county managed. Yesterday we reported on the donation of equipment from the Walton Sheriff?s Office to the Holmes Sheriff?s Office. First News talked to Danny Glidewell, Walton Corrections Director who says they had to make a number of changes and purchases when the county took over the jail operations.

Glidewell says they had to buy new uniforms because the old ones had a star and sheriff?s department patches on them. To take the patches off and replace them would take time and labor costs. The old uniforms also had green pants with a gray shirt. The green uniforms are reserved for sheriff?s departments. Glidewell also says they had to buy all new road crew equipment.

In the long run the Corrections Department has a cheaper uniform. Glidewell says what they changed to only costs about $8 to $12 a piece where the regular uniform shirts were around $35 each.

Glidewell also says the jail has food costs down an additional .19 due to the use of the garden. He says the July meal price came to .50 a meal, which is down from .69. Glidewell says this is attributed to the garden. He attributes this and other savings to the employees, saying, ?They have worked hard to keep costs down.? Glidewell feels the employees at the jail and in other parts of the county should be given credit for the cost savings because they are having to ?do more with less.? When the county took over the jail operations, the cost was over $1 a meal. Glidewell says they have been holding the line on costs.

The jail averages over 200 inmates a day, times three meals a day at .19 a meal, that equates to over $100 a day in savings. The Jail works with its neighbor, Walton Correction Institute to produce the garden. They are currently in the process of planting the fall garden.

I wish I knew what they were feeding them for 1.50 a day. Although years ago I sat in on a discussion of feeding at hurricane shelters, one of the guys was actually pricing nothing but canned water, lima beans, and rice. Three times a day. Figured it would shorten the stay down to those that really needed to be there.

Romeosmydog

Beach Fanatic
Nov 6, 2007
here
I wish I knew what they were feeding them for 1.50 a day. Although years ago I sat in on a discussion of feeding at hurricane shelters, one of the guys was actually pricing nothing but canned water, lima beans, and rice. Three times a day. Figured it would shorten the stay down to those that really needed to be there.

My brother said he darn near starved to death during his few months stay. He said they served canned peas and bread mostly. Bubba hates canned peas and I can bet that is why his last visit to the Walton County Jail was his LAST visit to the Walton County Jail.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I think they are talking about the officers. Maybe the inmates wear pink like Sheriff Joe in Arizona makes his do.:rotfl:

Okay I read that wrong. Seemed odd since most jails go for something a little more obvious in case of escape.

My brother said he darn near starved to death during his few months stay. He said they served canned peas and bread mostly. Bubba hates canned peas and I can bet that is why his last visit to the Walton County Jail was his LAST visit to the Walton County Jail.

Then the idea of correction worked. :D

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
I vote for bright pink leopard Snuggies! Airbrushing of their #s across the chest is genius that I borrowed from rapunzel.

Romeo...will you please start a blog or write a book? :lol:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Nice to hear we are making good financial decisions SOMEWHERE - cheaper uniforms, reducing food costs by growing food, works for me!

Frankly I like hearing they have to eat yucky food - it's a punishment after all!

choctawjesse

Beach Comber
Aug 4, 2009
Where are the taxpayers

I sat back and waited to see if any of our great crusaders would say a word thanking the commissioners for saving money here. But I was right, they will trash the commissioners over a few thousand dollars benefits but will never give them credit for anything they do right. Hypocrites.