• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

mikecat adjuster

Beach Fanatic
Oct 18, 2007
Seagrove.
www.myspaceherspace.com
Hey, it's me, Mike. I can't wait for my next, 'Another Walk with Mike' episode, but Olympus has not been able to provide me with a working camera. I just sent the inoperable one off again. But even without video, I can still tell you what I'm seeing in words. Here goes.

I sometimes take my kayak, at other times I just start snorkeling from the shore. When I do so, I start by going to the outer edge of the first sandbar where the breaking waves won't crash on me. I assemble my snorkeling gear there, and once I'm ready, I lay out and begin.

Lately, there is sometimes an algea/grass section there, but only very little. (A lot of grass in Panama City) It actually serves to attract fish. I see a lot of minnow type fish close in here. They use the grass to hide around. I also see a lot of larger fish here. I've seen a number of Mackerel, Spanish and King. Some of the king have been outright huge.

Today I saw a Ling/Lemon fish/Cobia in between sandbars in about 12 feet total depth, swimming in 5 feet. The fish was quite large and to be frank, quite intimidating to be in the water with. And yes, I saw another Nurse shark today. The life guards later told me they have been seeing it surface to where its fin protrudes from the water. When I saw it, like many that I see, its shadow became apparent first. This shadowy body was on the bottom. This particular one may have been 7 feet, and fairly thick.

When I saw it, it must have also saw me and it begin to slowly move off. I followed lightly but as my speed increased, so did its speed, and then moreso. Because of this, I decided it indeed did not want me around, thus I left it alone.

The nurse sharks I've been seeing lately have been swimming, whereas this one, like the ones I was use to previously, was on the bottom. So I guess its just when I cross their paths, sometimes resting, sometimes not, often in pairs.

I also see a lot of dead crab shell remains on the bottom. I know crab comprises a portion of nurse shark meals. I know plenty other fish feed on crab also, which is why as I move over the crawling creatures they take no time in covering their bodies with sand to completely concealed themselves.

I am also finding people things, like trash, which when I have my kayak along, I carry back to a trash can on shore. But not all the people things I find are trash :D.

I also find logs and wonder if they were part of a wooden boat or if it is timber from a piling. I find swim masks, and since mine is being held together with mono fishing line, I always hope it will fit well. This mask may. I washed it out and might try it tomorrow.

I find shadows, too. Scary shadows. The waves have a way of transporting light down to play tricks on you, especially if your eyes have recently seen a shark. Even the grass that comes right before your face, when you've been focused 15-20 feet down, appears to be a big thing that is passing down deeper. You'd have to experience it yourself to know; but fear is eminent.

It may be a few more weeks before I am able to get any footage of this great stuff. I've seen a few really interesting fish, too, that I don't know what the heck it is. It's just great being out there. Sometimes I almost shout out, 'I can't believe I am here'. The water can be so clear and its inhabitants so interesting, that I can feel like nothing else exists. Nothing but what I am experiencing.

I had a friend here this past weekend who would not come out there with me because of the number of nurse sharks I'm seeing. And he is a real adventurous person. Oh well, for now, I do this alone. It sure is fun though.

Well, hopefully sooner than later I'll be shooting more video, but until then, I'll add anything I think someone might find interesting. Later :wave:

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
Always enjoy your updates, Mike. Take your friend to the Alvin's Island in Panama City Beach that is next to Shipwreck Island and the old Miracle Strip Amusement Park. Pretty nice size shark in tank. Not sure what kind. Maybe you can increase your friend's comfort level by posing with this captured creature. We had fun there yesterday, but it is always sad to see the remnants of the amusement park next door. Played the quarter game and extremely nice attendent gave us extra coins. The alligator display is still there at Alvin's Island, but just a few big ones and no babies. It is still an old time beach kitch place that I enjoy visiting at least once a year.

Samuelsgran

Beach Lover
May 11, 2009
South Al
Hey, it's me, Mike. I can't wait for my next, 'Another Walk with Mike' episode, but Olympus has not been able to provide me with a working camera. I just sent the inoperable one off again. But even without video, I can still tell you what I'm seeing in words. Here goes.

I sometimes take my kayak, at other times I just start snorkeling from the shore. When I do so, I start by going to the outer edge of the first sandbar where the breaking waves won't crash on me. I assemble my snorkeling gear there, and once I'm ready, I lay out and begin.

Lately, there is sometimes an algea/grass section there, but only very little. (A lot of grass in Panama City) It actually serves to attract fish. I see a lot of minnow type fish close in here. They use the grass to hide around. I also see a lot of larger fish here. I've seen a number of Mackerel, Spanish and King. Some of the king have been outright huge.

Today I saw a Ling/Lemon fish/Cobia in between sandbars in about 12 feet total depth, swimming in 5 feet. The fish was quite large and to be frank, quite intimidating to be in the water with. And yes, I saw another Nurse shark today. The life guards later told me they have been seeing it surface to where its fin protrudes from the water. When I saw it, like many that I see, its shadow became apparent first. This shadowy body was on the bottom. This particular one may have been 7 feet, and fairly thick.

When I saw it, it must have also saw me and it begin to slowly move off. I followed lightly but as my speed increased, so did its speed, and then moreso. Because of this, I decided it indeed did not want me around, thus I left it alone.

The nurse sharks I've been seeing lately have been swimming, whereas this one, like the ones I was use to previously, was on the bottom. So I guess its just when I cross their paths, sometimes resting, sometimes not, often in pairs.

I also see a lot of dead crab shell remains on the bottom. I know crab comprises a portion of nurse shark meals. I know plenty other fish feed on crab also, which is why as I move over the crawling creatures they take no time in covering their bodies with sand to completely concealed themselves.

I am also finding people things, like trash, which when I have my kayak along, I carry back to a trash can on shore. But not all the people things I find are trash :D.

I also find logs and wonder if they were part of a wooden boat or if it is timber from a piling. I find swim masks, and since mine is being held together with mono fishing line, I always hope it will fit well. This mask may. I washed it out and might try it tomorrow.

I find shadows, too. Scary shadows. The waves have a way of transporting light down to play tricks on you, especially if your eyes have recently seen a shark. Even the grass that comes right before your face, when you've been focused 15-20 feet down, appears to be a big thing that is passing down deeper. You'd have to experience it yourself to know; but fear is eminent.

It may be a few more weeks before I am able to get any footage of this great stuff. I've seen a few really interesting fish, too, that I don't know what the heck it is. It's just great being out there. Sometimes I almost shout out, 'I can't believe I am here'. The water can be so clear and its inhabitants so interesting, that I can feel like nothing else exists. Nothing but what I am experiencing.

I had a friend here this past weekend who would not come out there with me because of the number of nurse sharks I'm seeing. And he is a real adventurous person. Oh well, for now, I do this alone. It sure is fun though.

Well, hopefully sooner than later I'll be shooting more video, but until then, I'll add anything I think someone might find interesting. Later :wave:
I really enjoy reading about your adventures .Have you thought about a book? After reading this I feel like I've been down there too. Please continue to share.... Have you found any really unique objects?

mikecat adjuster

Beach Fanatic
Oct 18, 2007
Seagrove.
www.myspaceherspace.com
Yes, I noticed where the old Miracle Strip Amusement park was on my last visit. Previously, I searched and searched for it trying to re-live childhood memories, only to find it had been closed. The roller coaster was actually disassembled and reassembled elsewhere at another park.

Anyway, check this out. I know someone who is a diver and does tours. He was going out recently and about a half mile outside of the pass out of Destin, they came across a Whale Shark and were able to get out and swim with it.

Wow! That had to be an unbelievable experience. I was told from another friend so didn't speak to him directly, otherwise I would have gotten more details. I think my buddy told me it was not a full grown whale shark, but non-the-less was large and a great find.

Oh, and regarding writing a book on the nea things I do, I doubt I'd do that. But I might one day create an amazing web site with videos and writings, explaining adventurous destinations and things to do, how to do them etc.

I actually have been asked to do some work for another website right now, but haven't as of yet. My camera has been broken now for quite some time and believe me, it is depressing. I thoroughly enjoy going on my adventures just for the sake of doing it, but it adds a completely added aspect to film it and then create a mini movie to share with others.

Honestly, it had been extrememly uplifting and self-actualizing, to borrow a Maslownian concept. I worry that the jelly fish will get too bad or, well, I'd like to get called out on a job, but I just worry that the seasonw ill pass without me being able to capture what exciting things I see out there.

It was the same way with the snake encounters I had. I was seeing some amazing things and this year, after I realized the camera I bought had video capabilities that were adequate, I begin filming. My journey into film-making, albeit amateur, gave me real satisfaction.

I'm heading out in a bit to get my bike tire fixed down in Blue Mountain Beach area. I may find a spot over there to snorkel, just to hit a different location and maybe uncover some different element or find who knows what. I'll let you know if anything good comes up.

mikecat adjuster

Beach Fanatic
Oct 18, 2007
Seagrove.
www.myspaceherspace.com
Oh, and Samuelsgran, yes, I have found unique or interesting objects. Those that come to mind now are a pair of $150 Coasta Del Mar sun glasses and a pair of Ray Ban. The Costa are woman's, but damn it if I don't sometimes wear them. Yes, I look gay in them, as my friend's wife points out. Then again, she wants me to give them to her :blush: Another friend says they look good on me. I think he secretly enjoys the fact that I look like a girly man when I wear them. But they are so crisp and polarized superbly. I try to remember to remove them when a hot looking lady comes by.

I have found several swim masks, non of which, unless the one I found yesterday will, fit properly. I found a neat iron object the other day which I got away from without being able to investigate, because that's when I realized my camera was broken and I drifted away trying to examine my camera.

I've found a few fishing baits, one in pristine condition. A really nice find. No rings or jewelery yet, and no mermaids, although I did find a blow-up doll. She's beautiful. Been keeping me comany of late. :love: Just joking btw.

ChillPill

Beach Fanatic
Apr 8, 2009
Oh for the love of pete, what do we need to do to get this camera fixed! Give me some names, do we need to take out some kneecaps at Olympus Headquarters or what? Its like torture here without photos or film. :D

I truly enjoy reading about your adventures in the water. Thanks for bringing us along with you. Hopefully someday I too will be brave enough to go beyond the edge of the first sandbar, but until then I shall live vicariously through you. Keep up the good work.

Since I'm still too chicken to go out 'there', I was only able to take pictures of some (oddly beautiful) jellyfish, and witness a big bird give a whole new meaning to "Mountain Fresh" in reference to my beach towel today.

fishcookies

Beach Comber
Mar 11, 2008
Hi again! We've been in the process of moving for MANY weeks now -- and have had spotty internet service during the transition -- so we were excited the other night to see a new snake video we hadn't seen before on Youtube. My daughter had been watching expectantly for the latest installment. As we've said before, yours is one of her all-time favorite "shows." :) I bet a local cable outlet would be glad to have your episodes added to their line-up, and I agree with the previous poster who suggested a book in your future. :) We're countin the days until our trip down in September, and after having moved to Maryland, this will be our first experience flying in instead of driving - we love SoWal so much that we'd come back there to vacation if we lived on the moon. Until then, we'll keep enjoying these great posts... God bless!

p.s. Oh, I forgot something really funny. While we were moving, we stayed at a camping cabin while we waited for our new house to be ready. While we were there, we got to know the camp owners, and one evening several of their family members (men) returned from their stocked pond, only to say that had no luck fishing that day. My 8-year-old little girl piped up and told them maybe they needed to try "the sweeping method," and proceeded to explain in great detail how to do it. They just looked at her, until one of them said, "Does it work?" And my husband said, "It actually does." It was really funny. Plus she sometimes says, "Does that look bassy, or what?" when we see a good fishing spot. Funny stuff.

MaryAnne

Beach Lover
Apr 14, 2005
Hey, Mike. Thank you so much for your updates. I enjoy reading them.
I hope your camera gets fixed this time around.
I enjoyed keeping up with SWGB's challenge to you. How about another challenge? It keeps my mind sharp trying to place a street or area in SoWal.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
Hey, Mike. Thank you so much for your updates. I enjoy reading them.
I hope your camera gets fixed this time around.
I enjoyed keeping up with SWGB's challenge to you. How about another challenge? It keeps my mind sharp trying to place a street or area in SoWal.

I beat Mike to the challenge, although I haven't been able to provide a photo. The description was spot on. I'd heve to go back out there and take another photo to get it on Sowal. It was actually too obvious and hopefully future challenges will be a bit more challenging. I have considered taking a photo somewhere and give a clue and see how long it takes someone to duplicate the photo. Maybe make it worth their while by leaving a $5 bill or something.

mikecat adjuster

Beach Fanatic
Oct 18, 2007
Seagrove.
www.myspaceherspace.com
To FishCookies, you made my heart soften with that and it went pitter pat. Thanks! I do wish I could have been creating video from the wonderful images that have appeared before my eyes. I just emailed Olympus again with my disdain. It has been an episode in futility but I'm still holding out hope I'll have a camera soon.

Not sure how much longer I'll be able to work on getting good footage as I may get a job here locally so my financials don't disapear altogether. I may also eventually go work out of state to pay for the lifestyle I've been living, while very, very frugal, when without real incoming cashflow, does catch up to you :sosad: I didn't want to work over the summer largely so I could have my kiddies with me free and clear of obligation. But now school is beginning so...

But I'll get some new footage for you guys soon. Love!