• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
For those who are not yet aware, a young man with ties to South Walton County lost his life to swine flu yesterday morning. Chase Ray grew up at the corner of Chat Holley Rd (incidentally, Chat Holley was his great-grandfather if I'm not mistaken) and Hwy 331 until his family moved to NoWal several years ago. His mom, Michele, worked at Butler Elementary and Seaside schools and currently works with the TDC. I've known Chase's dad, Gilbert, since we were born (literally - our mothers had a joint baby shower).

The services are scheduled for Saturday afternoon at New Beginnings Church, west of Freeport, across from the entrance to Hammock Bay. Visitation from 2:00 to 3:00 and the funeral begins at 3:00. Flowers are accepted, or a donation to a charity of your choice.

Lastly, please remember the family in your prayers. As a mother, I cannot even begin to wrap my brain around losing a child (even a grown one), much less to a disease he is believed to have contracted at Disney World.

Kurt, if this isn't an appropriate place for this post, please move it...

Romeosmydog

Beach Fanatic
Nov 6, 2007
here
God, please wrap Michelle, Gilbert and Hunter in your loving peace.

Last edited:

For The Health Of It

Beach Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
Chase Ray was one fine young man.... He has been our nephew's best friend since birth and we were fortunate to see him grow. Please keep his family in your thoughts as they are some of the nicest people in the world. God Bless Chase and the entire Ray Family

criolla man

Beach Comber
Aug 6, 2005
The Bay
We knew Chase long enough that I can't remember when I first met him.

Like most people, I have met young people who seemed to have special wisdom beyond their years.

Chase was one of those people.

As a baseball player Chase loved the game but he seemed to love being a teammate even more. Always a smile, always attentive. As an 8th grader on a middle school team, Chase was a leader who never took advantage of his class seniority. I am enriched for having coached Chase.

At the beginning of every season most coaches hope to have a team full of excellent young players like Chase. My family and I will remember him always. Our son Jonathan said he thought of Chase as a big brother. Our heart goes out to Michele, Gilbert and Hunter. We all loved Chase. What a special influence on us all.

Johnny, Debbie and Jonathan

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
I can't even articulate words for the grief in my heart, much less the heart of the family who's loss is massive. God Bless the Ray family, you are in my prayers, my heart and my tears.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
I just got an email from my neighbor about this tragic news. I know Gilbert Ray, Chase's father, and met Gilbert's sons. Such a nice family, always smiling, and they are in our prayers and have our deepest condolences.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Chase is now at rest...and now the REALLY hard part begins for his survivors.

Please continue remembering them, and all those who face the task of having to bury their children. It just shouldn't be.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
My thoughts and prayers are with this family.