• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

cabythesea

Beach Lover
Jan 16, 2009
The hostility of this thread makes me think some of you do not belong on 30A - chill out - life is short. Live and let live - I'm begging you!

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
The hostility of this thread makes me think some of you do not belong on 30A - chill out - life is short. Live and let live - I'm begging you!

Everyone belongs hostile or not. I'm sure there's something that ruffles your feathers.

Truffle Anne

Beach Fanatic
Jan 29, 2008
Dune Allen
Everyone belongs hostile or not. I'm sure there's something that ruffles your feathers.
I just get FURIOUS when you say that hostile people belong here! I'm going to quit coming to this site, and go get my golf cart and come over and RAM your vehicle, and tear up your landscaping, and put chewed up gum on your mailbox handle, you, you, twerp!
:yikes:
Plus, I'm going to find a female bull shark, and tell her that you called her a cow. :roll:

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
I remember when I used to ride cardboard boxes down the dunes in the 60"s. Little bit different then.

I know natives who claimed the dunes on Okaloosa Island before Opal/Ivan/Dennis were high enough that they actually dug snow skis out of someone's garage and went down the dunes on them.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I know natives who claimed the dunes on Okaloosa Island before Opal/Ivan/Dennis were high enough that they actually dug snow skis out of someone's garage and went down the dunes on them.

I can see that. I remember when the highest point along the Gulf Coast was a dune on St. George Island. That area is now completely flat.

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I think some clarification on this thread is needed...

This is a street legal electric vehicle...

BF0707electric_gem_mayor.gif

This is not...

golf-cart.jpg

There is a distiction somewhere in the law that differentiates what is and is not legal; however, Florida statue states that to be street legal the vehicle must meet the following criteria:
Stop lamps, turn signal lamps, headlamps, taillamps, parking brakes
Rearview mirrors, reflex reflectors, windshields, seat belts, and VIN's
Must be registered and insured in accordance with current regulations (s. 320.02)
The drivers of low speed vehicles must have valid driver?s licenses

By design, a golf cart has a top speed of 14mph (yes, that can be tweaked), but if it doesn't meet the standard of a top speed between 20 - 25mph, it doesn't meet the requirements.

My guess is that if you guys are seeing true golf carts with tags they have either been modified to have all of the above or the people in Walton Co who issue the tags aren't checking.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
The problem may come from PCB who recently passed an ordinance allowing golf carts on streets other than Front, Middle, and Back Beach roads.

bdub

Beach Lover
Jan 29, 2008
I am one of the people now using a "street-legal" electric cart on 30A. It is registered, it has a tag and is fully insured. They're known as LSV's (low speed vehicles) or NEV's (neighborhood electric vehicles) ... and you can drive them in Florida on roadways where the speed limit is 35 or lower. It has headlights, blinkers and seat belts. It's a blast to drive.

I like the idea of not running the SUV once I arrive here. I'm surprised that the many people who frequent this forum to talk about turtles and keeping the beach clean, would have an issue with something that is essentially a green machine.

My machine tops out at 20 mph. I keep a close eye on my rear view mirror and when I see that I am slowing traffic, I pull over and let folks pass. Most everyone has been nice about it. The waves have been friendly, and I get lots of questions when I make my afternoon ice cream run.

The reason you are probably seeing more of this is that between now and the end of the year, you can qualify for a pretty substantial tax credit when you buy a NEV. The tax break will pay for about 2/3rds of the cost of the vehicle.

I think 30A is a very special place where things move at a slower pace. The NEV is a nice fit for the lifestyle. It may be a small gesture -- but by using the NEV, I am substantially reducing my carbon footprint and "thinking locally." I am also spending more money with the merchants within my 35MPH roaming zone.

I think we need more of this ... not less.