• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

bdub

Beach Lover
Jan 29, 2008
Driving a vehicle whose maximum speed is 15-25 mph below the posted speed limit is not safe.

I appreciate that you want to not take your SUV to run errands and are trying to be more earth friendly, but 30-A is a HIGHWAY and has a speed limit of 45 mph in many places.

I love to see people using street legal golf carts WITHIN their communities instead of driving cars, but 30-A is the main road serving our community and needs to be treated as such.

Bugman ...

I always respect your viewpoint when I see it posted here -- but let's make sure that we are working with facts.

There is a difference between a golf cart and a NEV. Golf carts are not street legal and the NEV's (while they may LOOK like a golf cart) have been upgraded with safety equipment to meet state and federal guidelines.

To be used on the streets in Florida, they must be registered, have a tag and have regular car insurance. You must have a valid driver's license to operate one.

You cannot legally drive a NEV on any stretch of road that has a speed limit greater than 35 MPH. For me, that restricts my NEV roaming to between Watersound and Rosemary Beach. Yes, for all of 2 and a quarter miles, the State of Florida says I am allowed to putt-putt with wild abandon.

You ... and others ... have correctly pointed out that golf carts are sometimes used unsafely and in violation of the law. I think the businesses that rent carts along 30A need to make sure that their customers are well-informed about the rules and regs. I say crack down on the scofflaws. But please don't assume that everything you see running down the road that LOOKS like a golf cart ... is a golf cart.

You are right 30A is a highway -- but it's not 98 -- it's a meandering two lane road through one of the most spectacular areas in America. We already slow for bikers -- and stop for anyone who even looks like they might want to cross the road. I don't see how this is a huge inconvenience. On the other hand, it is an eco-friendly way to tour the area.

If you are among those who love turtles and bemoans beach clutter -- you should celebrate anything that respects this rare and precious emerald gem.

Allow me to add just one other thought that is a little off-point. I am an owner here and hope to become a permanent resident when I retire. It seems to me that there are two kinds of people here on the 30A corridor: the people who live here year round -- and the people who WANT to. The people who live here year round have goods, services and a vibrant economy because of all the people who visit. The taxes we pay help support your Fire Department and your Sheriff's office.

This is not directly aimed at you Scooterbug -- but sometimes I sense an us versus them mentality on this site. I would hope that tax-paying, economy supporting visitors who want to come here and spend 8 grand on an electric car so that they can tour this delicate eco-system in a non-polluting way would be celebrated and not cursed.

Wave if you see me in my navy blue NEV -- I'll pull over and buy you a cup.

bdub

30ABandMan

Beach Fanatic
Apr 1, 2007
SGB
This is not directly aimed at you Scooterbug -- but sometimes I sense an us versus them mentality on this site. I would hope that tax-paying, economy supporting visitors who want to come here and spend 8 grand on an electric car so that they can tour this delicate eco-system in a non-polluting way would be celebrated and not cursed.

I don't think it is a matter of cursing anyone and I'm certainly not for or against anyone. I moved here knowing what the area was. I'm just bothered by the addition of one more type of traffic to handle or better yet, one more type of something to dodge. If your vehicle is within the code then fine, I'll learn to live with it. But just like the bikers, joggers, pedestrians and now golf cart riders, do your part and make sure you don't leave all of the responsibility of being a courteous member of all of the traffic along 30A to the people who are driving full sized vehicles.

Make sure you buckle up and that all of your passengers are doing the same. Don't let me see you tooling around with a "cold one" in your hand. Keep kids out of the driver's seat and before you pull that thing out in traffic, make sure you can keep up with the posted speeds. I have no problem with peeps enjoying this area but don't become a nuisance either.

bdub

Beach Lover
Jan 29, 2008
Make sure you buckle up and that all of your passengers are doing the same. Don't let me see you tooling around with a "cold one" in your hand. Keep kids out of the driver's seat and before you pull that thing out in traffic, make sure you can keep up with the posted speeds. I have no problem with peeps enjoying this area but don't become a nuisance either.

If by a "cold one" -- you mean a frosty Dr. Pepper -- I'm afraid, I can't make that promise :D

Why is someone driving respectfully in an NEV (not a golf cart) a nuisance? What about the folks who go blasting down 30A waaay too fast; aren't they the real nuisance? Why isn't there more outrage about that? Accidents are very rarely caused by people obeying the law.

Again, the people who are playing by the rules should not be lumped in with the people who are not. I say, crack down on the people who do not abide by the law. Let's make sure that the rental companies do their part to make sure their customers completely understand the rules.

BTW -- this morning I ran my street legal, registered and insured "green Machine" from Camp Creek Lake to Rosemary at about 7:30. No one was behind me -- no one was bothered. That said, if someone did come up behind me, I would do what I always do --- whip to the side at the first available opportunity and let them pass.

I was buckled, and had everything with me that I needed to comply with the law. Valid driver's license? Check. Florida tag and registration card? Check. Proof of insurance? Check.

I spent $20 bucks on papers and pastries (doing my part to help the local economy) and returned home without serious harm and/or consequence. I also did not belch noxious fumes into the environment. Win/win.

NEV -- Neighborhood Electric Vehicles. You're gonna be hearing a lot about them.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Bdub-
I am certainly not trying to promote an "us versus them" mentality, just a long overdue dose of reality. While you (welcome to the uber elite chosen few BTW) may know of the rules and speed restrictions and choose to only drive your "street legal" (or whatever acronym) cart on 30-a where it conforms with speed limits, you must realize that is most certainly not the norm. Businesses rent these vehicles w/o telling people the rules (the same as when they rent scooters and bikes w/o helmets or reflectors, kayaks w/o life jackets....)

If you read my posts, you will see that while I love smaller vehicles, biking, and the relaxed 30-a lifestyle, I am also a huge proponent of common sense, personal responsibility, and reality.

A golf cart, a street legal NEV cart, whatever, has no place on 30-a - where I spend WAY more time (either in a bike OR a car) watching out for people behaving like oblivious idiots than I do actually driving or biking.

It's been less than 48 hours since I was almost broadsided by a car running a stopsign, was almost clipped taking out the trash or checking the mail on a side road, saw someone get in a vehicle who shouldn't have been driving, or was the bicyclist almost hit by someone who would have had to put down EITHER the phone or the drink to have a HAND on the wheel and you wonder WHY I think a max 20 mph golf cart on a highway w/ an average speed of 45 mph is a bad idea?

I am ONLY opposed to the NEVs because their speed and the popular mentality of their renters makes them unsafe and potentially lethal. I could give a sheet if I had to wait a couple minutes (I am late for everything anyway and I usually stop and let people cross the road just because, though I do admit I like to piss off the people tailgating me too).

P.S. Yes, I know the morons who are driving the golf carts down 30-a and walking into traffic w/o breaking stride are paying taxes and buying things, but WTF do you think I do on a daily basis as a resident? THAT level of entitlement needs to go buh-bye!

P.P.S. You will note I keep clamoring for the local government to make up their budgetary shortfall by enforcing BASIC traffic/parking laws.

P.P.P.S. I'm not a man!

Last edited:

30ABandMan

Beach Fanatic
Apr 1, 2007
SGB
Bdub-
I am certainly not trying to promote an "us versus them" mentality, just a long overdue dose of reality. While you (welcome to the uber elite chosen few BTW) may know of the rules and speed restrictions and choose to only drive your "street legal" (or whatever acronym) cart on 30-a where it conforms with speed limits, you must realize that is most certainly not the norm. Businesses rent these vehicles w/o telling people the rules (the same as when they rent scooters and bikes w/o helmets or reflectors, kayaks w/o life jackets....)

If you read my posts, you will see that while I love smaller vehicles, biking, and the relaxed 30-a lifestyle, I am also a huge proponent of common sense, personal responsibility, and reality.

A golf cart, a street legal NEV cart, whatever, has no place on 30-a - where I spend WAY more time (either in a bike OR a car) watching out for people behaving like oblivious idiots than I do actually driving or biking.

It's been less than 48 hours since I was almost broadsided by a car running a stopsign, was almost clipped taking out the trash or checking the mail on a side road, saw someone get in a vehicle who shouldn't have been driving, or was the bicyclist almost hit by someone who would have had to put down EITHER the phone or the drink to have a HAND on the wheel and you wonder WHY I think a max 20 mph golf cart on a highway w/ an average speed of 45 mph is a bad idea?

I am ONLY opposed to the NEVs because their speed and the popular mentality of their renters makes them unsafe and potentially lethal. I could give a sheet if I had to wait a couple minutes (I am late for everything anyway and I usually stop and let people cross the road just because, though I do admit I like to piss off the people tailgating me too).

P.S. Yes, I know the morons who are driving the golf carts down 30-a and walking into traffic w/o breaking stride are paying taxes and buying things, but WTF do you think I do on a daily basis as a resident? THAT level of entitlement needs to go buh-bye!

P.P.S. You will note I keep clamoring for the local government to make up their budgetary shortfall by enforcing BASIC traffic/parking laws.

P.P.P.S. I'm not a man!

I think you are wonderful!

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
I think you are wonderful!

I have to agree...that was one compelling argument against these "legal" golfcartthings.

To the poster who owns the golfcartthing...scooterbug and 30abandman are really looking our for your safety, as well. :wave:

bdub

Beach Lover
Jan 29, 2008
okay, okay ..

I will be the first to admit when Scooterbug (sorry for the gender confusion) and the ever popular and widely admired Miss Kitty align against me -- I've gotta problem. :D

Look, I understand that some people do not follow the rules. I understand that some rental companies are not doing the right thing. I also know there are people driving traditional vehicles who are not following the rules and not doing the right thing. They are driving too fast and endangering lives much more than I am. If you are honest -- you will have to admit I am right on at least this point.

Let's not throw out the baby with the bath water. Let's address those who are not operating within the boundaries of the law -- and allow law abiding NEV driver's to live and let live. We have good and valid reasons for choosing this as a transportation option. It's good and fine to talk the talk about the environment --- some of us want to walk the walk.

It's new -- it's different -- it's change and I understand that some people cannot accept change easily. Not all change is bad -- and sometimes change is rough around the edges until people become better informed.

As for my "us vs. them" rant: I do not feel entitled --- I simply want to point out that you don't have to live here full time to have a deep and abiding appreciation for this area. We (the part-timers and the vacationers) also contribute to what goes on here -- and we shouldn't be automatically viewed as a group with malevolent intent.

I shall not dare to engage in additional debate --. for I know that it is fruitless to banter with the all-powerful and immensely influential Miss Kitty. A man needs to know his limitations and I know I simply am not up to the challenge of debating such an intellectually towering and popular figure.

I will however continue to operate my NEV in full-compliance with the laws of Florida and live content in the knowledge that I am making a small difference.

bdub

Last edited:

Truffle Anne

Beach Fanatic
Jan 29, 2008
Dune Allen
I shall not dare to engage in additional debate --. for I know that it is fruitless to banter with the all-powerful and immensely influential Miss Kitty. A man needs to know his limitations and I know I simply am not up to the challenge of debating such an intellectually towering and popular figure.

Plus, she has alots of style, n'est pas? Remember to back slowly out of the room.

It's good and fine to talk the talk about the environment --- some of us want to walk the walk.

Have you thought about walking?
Just kidding, bdub. Keep on moving over to let fasters pass-yer. I do that in my real-life car when I'm on my Sunday evening sightseein' slow crawl down to Seaslide. :D

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
I'm all for NEV/ Golf Carts on 30a - They are a win / win. I am an owner down there now, and hope to retire there too like the other poster bdub. I think the NEV allowance under Florida statute is brilliant compromise.
I will support public flogging, ticketing, hard labor, for those who will not pull over (when Sunday driving, or in a too slow NEV, or on a bike on the damn road) and let traffic pass through at the first opportunity.
But to talk against NEV's on 30a, seems so antithetical to the a large part of the design, beauty, and raison d'etre, and substance of the 30A scene, I would have thought this would be the last part of Florida where opposition would arise, from those seeking to force people to use their Suburbans and Tahoes to run errands, and sight see. arghh

gmarc

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2009
I bought a home on 30-a to get away from the panama city scene of golf carts and scooters on the road. I'm now seeing golf carts parked on the bike paths to several private beach access areas on 30-a which i think is illegal i can understand the gym cars but kids zooming around on 30-a is crazy. my question is it seems the culprit is butterfly bikes as i see all the golf carts and scooters there. are there golf carts street legal? those scooters go very slow and i'm seeing people drying them in 45 mph zones which is illegal