• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
okay, okay ..

I will be the first to admit when Scooterbug (sorry for the gender confusion) and the ever popular and widely admired Miss Kitty align against me -- I've gotta problem. :D

Look, I understand that some people do not follow the rules. I understand that some rental companies are not doing the right thing. I also know there are people driving traditional vehicles who are not doing following the rules and not doing the right thing. They are driving too fast and endangering lives much more than I am. If you are honest -- you will have to admit I am right on at least this point.

Let's not throw out the baby with the bath water. Let's address those who are not operating within the boundaries of the law -- and allow law abiding NEV driver's to live and let live. We have good and valid reasons for choosing this as a transportation option. It's good and fine to talk the talk about the environment --- some of us want to walk the walk.

It's new -- it's different -- it's change and I understand that some people cannot accept change easily. Not all change is bad -- and sometimes change is rough around the edges until people become better informed.

As for my "us vs. them" rant: I do not feel entitled --- I simply want to point out that you don't have to live here full time to have a deep and abiding appreciation for this area. We (the part-timers and the vacationers) also contribute to what goes on here -- and we shouldn't be automatically viewed as a group with malevolent intent.

I shall not dare to engage in additional debate --. for I know that it is fruitless to banter with the all-powerful and immensely influential Miss Kitty. A man needs to know his limitations and I know I simply am not up to the challenge of debating such an intellectually towering and popular figure.

I will however continue to operate my NEV in full-compliance with the laws and Florida and live content in the knowledge that I am making a small difference.

bdub

Oh, geez and FTLOC, bdubuddy! Miss Kitty is not all-powerful or all the whineybehinds would be gone by now. :D Just because I have an insane amount of posts, it does not make my opinion better or worse than any other. Let me also add, that if you took a poll, popular would not be the attribute I am known for...annoying, maybe. ;-)

So, know that we have that clear, I do have an opinion. You say your golfcartthing is the wave of the future and I would agree that is does help the earth in it's own way, but until there is a designated path for the gcthing, I am afraid for your safety on 30A. If you were jsut using it in your community or to cross 30A to get to a beach access, I would say, go for it! Be careful out there!

I shall not dare to engage in additional debate --. for I know that it is fruitless to banter with the all-powerful and immensely influential Miss Kitty. A man needs to know his limitations and I know I simply am not up to the challenge of debating such an intellectually towering and popular figure.

Plus, she has alots of style, n'est pas? Remember to back slowly out of the room.

It's good and fine to talk the talk about the environment --- some of us want to walk the walk.

Have you thought about walking?
Just kidding, bdub. Keep on moving over to let fasters pass-yer. I do that in my real-life car when I'm on my Sunday evening sightseein' slow crawl down to Seaslide. :D

:funn:..thanks, TA. ;-)
Being skeered of me is something I thought only Mr. Kitty experienced. :rotfl:

bdub

Beach Lover
Jan 29, 2008
I'm all for NEV/ Golf Carts on 30a - They are a win / win. I am an owner down there now, and hope to retire there too like the other poster bdub. I think the NEV allowance under Florida statute is brilliant compromise.
I will support public flogging, ticketing, hard labor, for those who will not pull over (when Sunday driving, or in a too slow NEV, or on a bike on the damn road) and let traffic pass through at the first opportunity.
But to talk against NEV's on 30a, seems so antithetical to the a large part of the design, beauty, and raison d'etre, and substance of the 30A scene, I would have thought this would be the last part of Florida where opposition would arise, from those seeking to force people to use their Suburbans and Tahoes to run errands, and sight see. arghh

Yay! I am not alone!

bdub

Beach Lover
Jan 29, 2008
I bought a home on 30-a to get away from the panama city scene of golf carts and scooters on the road. I'm now seeing golf carts parked on the bike paths to several private beach access areas on 30-a which i think is illegal i can understand the gym cars but kids zooming around on 30-a is crazy. my question is it seems the culprit is butterfly bikes as i see all the golf carts and scooters there. are there golf carts street legal? those scooters go very slow and i'm seeing people drying them in 45 mph zones which is illegal

I do not know about the scooters -- the NEV's (not golf carts) are not allowed in the 45MPH zones (see my earlier postings). You are not the first to mention a certain rental company. I hope that they are watching this space. If THEY are not requiring their customers to operate under the requirements of the law -- maybe someone with a badge will make a friendly visit.

It would be in their best interest to get legal ... quick.

I know, I promised not to enter the debate again (so consider this just an observation), but I think we can all co-exist.

and I still widely admire Miss Kitty and Miss Scooterbug -- though we may never see eye to eye.

bdub

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Oh, geez and FTLOC, bdubuddy! Miss Kitty is not all-powerful or all the whineybehinds would be gone by now. :D Just because I have an insane amount of posts, it does not make my opinion better or worse than any other. Let me also add, that if you took a poll, popular would not be the attribute I am known for...annoying, maybe. ;-)

So, know that we have that clear, I do have an opinion. You say your golfcartthing is the wave of the future and I would agree that is does help the earth in it's own way, but until there is a designated path for the gcthing, I am afraid for your safety on 30A. If you were jsut using it in your community or to cross 30A to get to a beach access, I would say, go for it! Be careful out there!

:funn:..thanks, TA. ;-)
Being skeered of me is something I thought only Mr. Kitty experienced. :rotfl:
No, there are plenty others of us skeert of you, too. I understand Mr. Kitty from experience with mine.

joho

Beach Fanatic
Aug 5, 2005
It will take someone getting hurt or killed on one of the "unlicensed" golf carts before this situation is truly enforced.

I repeatedly see "children" without the supervision of an adult driving
erratically on 30A with usually a group hanging off the back!

AliKat

Beach Comber
Jul 26, 2007
I think it personally it would be cool if 30A area was golf cart friendly like Peachtree City, GA. Don't see why everyone is so worked up about a golf cart? Have you ever had someone fly by you and almost cause a dozen wrecks and then you end up at the same red light? Unless you are travelling at Intersate speeds 10-15 mph is really not going to get you there that much faster. So my suggestion is just slow down and enjoy the view with them and then be thankful that in this economy there are tourists in front of you pumping money into our local economy by renting their vacation rental, eating out, buying groceries, and renting golf carts that in turn give money to the local govt for tags. Chances are being behind them is going to add about 5 minutes to your commute.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I think it personally it would be cool if 30A area was golf cart friendly like Peachtree City, GA. Don't see why everyone is so worked up about a golf cart? Have you ever had someone fly by you and almost cause a dozen wrecks and then you end up at the same red light? Unless you are travelling at Intersate speeds 10-15 mph is really not going to get you there that much faster. So my suggestion is just slow down and enjoy the view with them and then be thankful that in this economy there are tourists in front of you pumping money into our local economy by renting their vacation rental, eating out, buying groceries, and renting golf carts that in turn give money to the local govt for tags. Chances are being behind them is going to add about 5 minutes to your commute.

Once again it must be pointed out that "pumping money into the local economy" is not a license to be a complete moron. People who have this attitude are more than welcome to pack up their vast stacks of cash and move on to a locale more welcoming of tourists with that mind set. When leaving just remember that Panama City Beach is to your left and Destin is to your right.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
The problem w/ NEV's on 30-a is that 1) they do not meet the requirements of that road and 2) they are so similar to a golf cart that people treat them like a cart instead of a car OR think that they can then drive their golf cart on the road - unlicensed drivers, overloading them, no safety equipment or not using the equipment etc.

There are a variety of other "earth friendly" vehicles that are a better option and that you can also get a tax credit on.

aggieb

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2007
ibx
until you have witnessed or experienced a golf cart related death, you'll rethink having them in sowal. when adults aren't responsible enough to drive them and death is a result, children aren't either. the story is, groomsmen playing golf and drinking. the day of or before the wedding (can't remember) groom's brother goes flying down steep hill. golf cart flips, hits head directly on golf path. rushed to hospital, died. you think it can't/won't/doesn't happen. it does.

Last edited:

bdub

Beach Lover
Jan 29, 2008
The problem w/ NEV's on 30-a is that 1) they do not meet the requirements of that road and 2) they are so similar to a golf cart that people treat them like a cart instead of a car OR think that they can then drive their golf cart on the road - unlicensed drivers, overloading them, no safety equipment or not using the equipment etc.

There are a variety of other "earth friendly" vehicles that are a better option and that you can also get a tax credit on.

just a quibble -- but the state of Florida has deemed that the NEV's (not the golf carts) DO meet the requirements to be driven on roadways where the speed limit is 35 or less.

Crack down on those who are not licensed -- do not have a tag -- and do not have a vehicle that meets the requirements of the state. There is a difference.