• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

bdub

Beach Lover
Jan 29, 2008
until you have witnessed or experienced a golf cart related death, you'll rethink having them in sowal. when adults aren't responsible enough to drive them and death is a result, children aren't either. the story is, groomsmen playing golf and drinking. the day of or before the wedding (can't remember) groom's brother goes flying down steep hill. golf cart flips, hits head directly on golf path. rushed to hospital, died. you think it can't/won't/doesn't happen. it does.

geesh guys --- "groomsmen playing golf and drinking"

That's not me -- and has absolutely nothing to do with law abiding citizens operating within the strictures of the law.

I can point to thousands of incidents where people driving traditional cars have done tragically stupid things --- many involving alcohol. But we don't hear people saying, "no more cars because SOME people will use them stupidly."

Really, cut me some slack. lets draw the line here between those who obey the law -- and those who do not. If you don't lump me in with spring break yahoos -- I won't lump you in with those who drink and drive in more traditional vehicles.

please lets focus on those who do not obey the law.

GOLF CARTS are illegal on 30A period.

NEV's are legal if registerd, licensed -- and operated on roadways where the speed limit is 35MPH or less.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Do you have a pic of the NEV and a golfcart? Post them! :wave:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Went to get cigarette's from the store this afternoon. I saw 3 golf carts on the road. None of them had license plates.

Everytime

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelby County, Alabama
just a quibble -- but the state of Florida has deemed that the NEV's (not the golf carts) DO meet the requirements to be driven on roadways where the speed limit is 35 or less.

Technically speaking, 30-A is a roadway where the speed limit is 45 or less. It is 45 in some sections between Eastern Lake and Alys Beach and in some sections between Watercolor and Blue Mountain Beach.

AliKat's suggestion is problematic. Not everyone driving on 30-A is just out for a sight-seeing cruise, enjoying the view. Some people do have schedules, commitments, places to be. And even some who are on vacation don't want to miss an extra 30 minutes of beach time because they got behind golf carts on the way to and from Publix...

AliKat

Beach Comber
Jul 26, 2007
I agree that vacationing doesn't give you the license to be a complete moron, but I do believe people on vacation get in a lacksidasical frame of mind. Not saying it is right or wrong just saying. Also I have seen just as many looney toon locals as there are visitors.

Also I say if the golf cart syndrome is that much of a problem, which I live here and don't believe it is, I would leave home a few moments early to make sure you are not late for your appointment or commitment in the busy season. This is what I did living in Atl where traffic is unpredictable. In fact living here now I will take a slow golf cart in front of me over a 5 car pile up anyday. Wouldn't trade it for the world.

Peachtree City has been able to successfully incorporate golf carts into their city with a network of 90 miles of golf, bike, and running trail. I think that maybe So Wal could do the same if golf carts in road is such an issue. I know it costs money, but big government is in a spending spree right now so anything is possible. :lol:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
just a quibble -- but the state of Florida has deemed that the NEV's (not the golf carts) DO meet the requirements to be driven on roadways where the speed limit is 35 or less.

Crack down on those who are not licensed -- do not have a tag -- and do not have a vehicle that meets the requirements of the state. There is a difference.

And what I keep saying is that 30-A is NOT one of those roads. A significant portion of 30-A has a speed limit of 45 mph.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I agree that vacationing doesn't give you the license to be a complete moron, but I do believe people on vacation get in a lacksidasical frame of mind. Not saying it is right or wrong just saying. Also I have seen just as many looney toon locals as there are visitors.

Also I say if the golf cart syndrome is that much of a problem, which I live here and don't believe it is, I would leave home a few moments early to make sure you are not late for your appointment or commitment in the busy season. This is what I did living in Atl where traffic is unpredictable. In fact living here now I will take a slow golf cart in front of me over a 5 car pile up anyday. Wouldn't trade it for the world.

Peachtree City has been able to successfully incorporate golf carts into their city with a network of 90 miles of golf, bike, and running trail. I think that maybe So Wal could do the same if golf carts in road is such an issue. I know it costs money, but big government is in a spending spree right now so anything is possible. :lol:

Way to get that big government swipe in. Right now if I have to be at a meeting in BMB from Seagrove I can make that in 10 minutes during the winter, but wait I have to leave an additional 5 minutes early to account for snow birds. Once in season I have to automatically leave 15 minutes to make it on time and if it's a holiday or busy period I have to add 5-10 minutes to that depending on the majority of states liscense plates I've seen recently. So now I've got to add another 5 minutes to that to account for golf carts. I'm now up to 30 minutes for what should be a 10 minute drive.

Now I can avoid all of that by going up 395 to 98 and then back down 83, but now I'm at the same amount of time, a long distance, and the possibility that I'm going to get stuck behind an accident at 331.

Why do I, as a full time resident, have to keep making adjustments and compromises for tourists?

And what I keep saying is that 30-A is NOT one of those roads. A significant portion of 30-A has a speed limit of 45 mph.

Actually you would be wrong. The minority of 30A is over 35mph. For instance it does not begin to be 45 mph until after the main entrance to Water Sound and that only continues just past Deer Lake. The next 45 mph zone isn't until after you cross Western Lake as the bridges are restricted to 45 mph. There is then a small stretch from Grayton to Grayton Preserve. From there you won't find a 45 mph zone until after Butler Elementary.

Everytime

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelby County, Alabama

But you are apparently talking about a specific trail designated for golf carts, bikes and runners, not a state-designated County Highway which is designed for vehicular traffic. There is a multi-use path alongside 30-A, but motorized vehicles, including golf carts, may not use that path, (and as someone who runs and bikes on that path, I don't want golf carts there either). Between the road (30-A), the multi-use path, and private property which is already close to the road and/or path in most areas, I don't see the addition of a cart path as being geographically practical.

bdub

Beach Lover
Jan 29, 2008
Right now if I have to be at a meeting in BMB from Seagrove I can make that in 10 minutes during the winter, but wait I have to leave an additional 5 minutes early to account for snow birds. Once in season I have to automatically leave 15 minutes to make it on time and if it's a holiday or busy period I have to add 5-10 minutes to that depending on the majority of states liscense plates I've seen recently. So now I've got to add another 5 minutes to that to account for golf carts. I'm now up to 30 minutes for what should be a 10 minute drive.

Why do I, as a full time resident, have to keep making adjustments and compromises for tourists?

umm, it might be because you have chosen to live in one of the most glorious vacation hotspots in the country. This is what I was alluding to when I mentioned that I often detect an "us vs. them" mentality on this site (see earlier post -- and the slapdown I received from Scooterbug).

Those tourists support your economy and your tax base-- and yes some tourists are boneheads and should be gently educated as to proper beach etiquette.

But complaining about tourists when you live in Sowal -- is sort of like complaining about snow when you live in Alaska. It sort of comes with the territory.

You are indeed correct that the vast majority of 30A is 35 MPH (not 45). I know I'm beginning to sound like a broken record, but lets jump on the people not living within the boundaries of the law -- and let the law abiding among us alone.

AliKat

Beach Comber
Jul 26, 2007
I did have to get my "big government" poke in. :D No really I do see both points on this one. Personally it would be nice if there was designated golf course trails that is all I am saying. Personally I would be scared #@!%less to drive down 30a in a golf cart, but that is me. It does suck to get stuck behind one and I totally understand the frustration, but on the other hand I do understand the visitors wanting the full vacation experience and golf carting to local hot spots is a part of that "I can't do this at home feeling". Guess I am really neutral on this one think every one is so heated because it is end of summer and everyone is just over it. Kind of like when the in-laws come good for a period of time, but ready for it to end at a certain point.

It is possible though to have a golf cart, bike, and run trail all rolled into one that is why I pointed out the Peachtree City model. All 3 have shared the path there for well over a decade. They even have golf cart police that make sure everyone is minding their p's and q's.