• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
We are intelligent enough and informed enough to know that Medicare and Tricare are government programs. I have read almost every post concerning the healthcare issue and have seen none that indicate there is not a need for healthcare reform. Healthcare reform is a far cry from a one size fits all universal healthcare system.
BTW, SWGB, Medicare begins at age 65 not 64 in regards to your siggy line.

There in lies the extra dose of irony. ;-)

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
The current health care reform bill would not create a universal, one size fits all healthcare system. It would create an insurance exchange that would allow people to search for policies at competitive rates. There would be a public option within that exchange to provide competition with for profit insurance companies.

"The current health care reform bill would not create a universal, one size fits all healthcare system."
That makes perfect sense -- the politicians are exempt from any rules on healthcare.

"It would create an insurance exchange that would allow people to search for policies at competitive rates. "
The free market would also allow the people to search for policies at competitive rates.

"There would be a public option within that exchange to provide competition with for profit insurance companies."
Right. :rotfl: Like the USPS allows for competition -- Did you know it is illegal to compete with the USPS by offering cheaper prices? BTW, people will have options -- pay for insurance or go to jail.

seanote

Beach Lover
Jul 18, 2007
The free market would also allow the people to search for policies at competitive rates.

Oh yeah, that's worked out great..............for the health insurance industry.

Health Insurance A Near-Monopoly, Study Finds

We have fundamental differences in beliefs about the best way to tackle the health care problem. I won't convince you and you won't convince me.
Our current system is an economic disaster in the making. As a privately insured, self-employed person, I get to write the check to my insurance company monthly and to see how astronomically the rates have risen. If you think health care should be profit-driven even at the expense of the welfare of this country, I won't change your mind, but I see health care as an intergral part of the strength of this country, morally and economically.

IMO, the cost of policies and out-of-pocket expenses has yet to catch up with people who get their insurance through their employers. For many, the premium comes right out of their pay check and while the premium remains the same or rises, their out-of-pocket expenses increase. Because it's taken out of the paycheck, many don't even notice it.

The percentage of my income that I'm paying in health insurance premiums is second only to my mortgage, and at the rate of increase in my premiums, will surpass my mortgage within 8-10 years. There is an continual increase in the percentage of income paid for health insurance, especially among low income workers. This will have dire consequenses to our economy as premiums rise and people have less disposable income.

the ratio of employer-paid premiums to household income is 20 percent. That compares with 3.3 percent for the top-income group, in which nine out of ten workers are insured

McKinsey & Company - How health care costs contribute to income disparity in the United States - April 2009

I voted for Obama because he stated while campaigning that most people don't buy insurance not because they don't want it, but because they can't afford it. His goal was to bring the cost down first, not to mandate coverage. It seems that the mandate will be a part of the health care bill because Dems and Repubs alike are beholden to the health insurance industry and have to make concessions to their corporate donors.

While I'm not happy about mandates, I do think that an insurance exchange with a public option is the way to go in an attempt to provide affordable health care to most of the population.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Seanote, the only reason we don't all shut up about healthcare is that no one knows what the bill will look like in its finality so they are saying what they think now, at townhall meetings, which is the right of American citizens, young or old.
I want my Representative and Senators to go back to their bubble understanding there are many out here who understand while there is need for reform in our healthcare system there is no reason to scrap the whole system. Also, when we get tort reform included in the bill it will go a long way toward garnering support by many. The myth that doctors are highly overpaid for what they do and what they go through to become MDs and DOs is just that, a myth. If you don't believe me, just look at what they bill Medicare and what they actually get paid. The payment system is very convoluted, to say the least. Once more, we need healthcare reform and not a single payer system and that is what all the present bills would appear to eventually lead toward. Once the federal government starts offering a "public option", you can forget any form of private competition.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I love how everyone is suddenly talking about how many pages the health care bill is and whether or not people have read the whole thing - like it's a sudden departure from the norm.

Our government is constantly churning out bills in the hundreds of pages - a big part of the problem IMO.

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
So, how do all of you feel about Allen Boyd's Town Hall meeting in Blountstown last night? Boyd -- a consummate Blue Dog -- came out against the health care bill in it's current form, and opened the floor to suggestions on how to improve it.

So, do your homework and go to Panama City with good suggestions -- not sharpened pitchforks. Here's your chance to make a difference.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I applaud Boyd's stand on healthcare but decry his support of Cap and Trade. I have a question or two I'd like to ask him and they aren't all on healthcare.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Allen Boyd's Town Hall Meeting is Back On!

Allen Boyd's Town Hall Meeting is Back On!

Panama City's radio talk show host, Bernie Thompson says that Alan Boyd's Town Hall Meeting is Back On! The twist is that it will be in the parking lot, after the panel discussion is over. They are planning on showing up from about 645pm-8pm to have the "meeting." Reporters will be there to see if Boyd shows up :rotfl: and they plan on getting the press out on national coverage. They are expecting 500-1000 people. (the panelist event inside on healthcare is supposedly issuing only 500 tickets.)

lerxst

Beach Fanatic
Jul 24, 2008
Oh, by the way, if you can't get your questions answered, be disruptive and loud that way no questions get answered, seems that is the choice for most of the Town Hall Meetings.

No, only the meetings that the media wants to sensationalize, I've watched 3 entire town hall meetings on C-Span which were very intelligent and informative on both sides of the "aisle" Did some people get passionate in their questions and statements? yes, but it was a far cry from the scenes from a few weeks ago. Some of us seem to enjoy keeping the flames of town hall "mobbery" going by revisiting it over an over.

lerxst

Beach Fanatic
Jul 24, 2008
supercollider, you don't stand a chance in hell at getting past question #1, but good luck. Hope the tazer doesn't hurt too much.

Don't taze me bro!