• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

thxrover

Beach Comber
Oct 28, 2007
Tyrone, GA
We've owned property in Walton Co. for about ten years now and this Sunday (yesterday) was our first time to use our Beach Permit and take our truck on the beach. Long story short, yes, that was my family in the red Chevy Z71 getting more or less stuck in the sand at the Grayton Beach access. I just want to say "thank you" to the three different guys that came over to offer their words of wisdom and offer their assistance. We did make it out and I learned a valuable lesson, a full-size 2500 HD 4x4 is great for towing and off-roading, as long as that off road does not include soft powdery South Walton beach sand!

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
Congratulations...now you really belong!:D

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
hehehe... yep... been there... just because it says 4x4 doesnt mean it wont get stuck. I got my 4WD "hubbed up" in the Grayton store/Pandoras parking lot once. And the access at Grayton is bad if you dont know what to do / how to do it. Get a running start at it and hope that no one steps in front of you and you have to stop. If it hasnt rained alot in the last 24 hours.....knobby tires + sugar sand = oops... radials + some of the air let out of them = possibility of getting out.
.EDIT: but never fear... there are plenty of good folks around there that will help you out, but you might have to take a little ribbing for it.

Last edited:

jensieblue

Beach Fanatic
Jun 2, 2005
on a lake in the woods
The stuck in the sand club is a very large group. Many of us have been there and enjoyed the kindness of strangers in the Grayton Community. It's just not as easy as they make it look. I am now no longer able to walk and was sitting in a beach chair where my husband had positioned me as he tried to dig out our truck. I was done on my sun facing side and wanted to move my back to the sun but unable to do so without assistance. A very kind young man walked over and asked if he could help me. Turns out he was an experienced nurse and I was so appreciative of the assistance..Eventually the truck came out with the assistance of the wonderful men of Grayton. When we come down in November, I am the lady sitting on the side of the walkway with a glass of wine. My friends bring the bottle down so I can over some to those who are stuck in the sand, or the spouses of same. Greetings to you all

We've owned property in Walton Co. for about ten years now and this Sunday (yesterday) was our first time to use our Beach Permit and take our truck on the beach. Long story short, yes, that was my family in the red Chevy Z71 getting more or less stuck in the sand at the Grayton Beach access. I just want to say "thank you" to the three different guys that came over to offer their words of wisdom and offer their assistance. We did make it out and I learned a valuable lesson, a full-size 2500 HD 4x4 is great for towing and off-roading, as long as that off road does not include soft powdery South Walton beach sand!

Just put it in 4WD High. 1st gear, stay in the ruts and stay on the gas. You should be fine ;-)

b2y_ni

Beach Comber
Apr 2, 2009
Bonifay, Florida
hi guys,

same here!

i live in bonifay, fl. an hour away from sowal but most of my days off from work are spent there coz my wife and i love the place so much. one time, we tried to see that area in grayton and turned back when i saw the " no permit, no entry" sign but unluckily, my 2wd nissan xterra got stucked in the parking lot sand. and just like thxrover, 2 guys helped us out of there using their truck and whinch. we are so happy we got out.

i just want so say "thanks a million to those young very helpful guys". made me love sowal even more. i hope one day i can afford to find an affordable place ti live there.

disco

Beach Comber
Mar 9, 2009
99% of the time you sowallers complain about tourist and tents on the beach. Why all the sudden is it acceptable to drive your huge trucks up and down our beaches pristine sands? Yeah I guess the right of passage means you are now in the club of these sowal hypocrites.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Yeah, permitted vehicles allowed on one part of the beach and only during certain hours are exactly the same thing as miles of abandoned crap causing injury and death to humans and endangered species. :roll: