• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Just Curious

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
I think they named the park in "07 when they originally applied for the grant. The majority of the money to purchase the park came from District 5 Rec & Plat fees, so it is going back to that account.

hoover_rc

Beach Lover
Jul 19, 2006
Old Seagrove
www.seasiderep.org
Don't forget about the Arts Center!

Sorry to be so late to the discussion, but I just ran across it. I was on the board of the one of the latest attempts at bringing in performing arts center to this area (namely to Seaside). The plan fell through at the very last minute do to a breakdown in the partnership with a university that was going to supply half the funding. As it happened, the economy tanked about 5 months after it all fell through so it probably wouldn't ahve gotten the private dollars necessary anyway.

But we did an economic impact study (which is essentially what this RFP is for, not a feasibility study, which primarily is intended to determine if funding is available, and in this case, the funds are there.), and it was determined that there was a serious need for a performing arts center in northwest florida. (the OWC center was determined NOT to be a viable competitor due to its limited user groups and lack of proximity to the beaches.)

Imagine a venue that could attract national talent, and could also serve as a home for local arts organizations (Rep, Sinfonia, NW Florida Ballet, Pensacola Opera, etc.) This would be a huge draw for our target tourist and real estate market.

I think a sports complex would be very nice for locals and those on extended stays, and I'll be lining up to play, but the most logical use for tourist dollars (aka bed tax) is something that will attract more of our demographic of tourists. I worry about a sports complex's ability to function in SOWAL because of our lack of low cost hotel/motel options. Is the little league team going to stay at Watercolor Inn? They'd fly in to PCB, and on their way to our sports complex, are they going to pass up the tens of thousands of lower cost rooms in Bay County (not to mention another sports complex)?

However, if we brought in Yo Yo Ma, then Watercolor Inn would be full, as would the other vacation rental options in the area. Obviously, I have a dog in this fight (the Rep), but it seems like if given the choice between a sports complex and a performing arts center, the latter would fill a void as well as attract more of the tourists that are drawn to our county already.

DCFinSCB

Beach Fanatic
Jul 27, 2007
Ol' Point Washingtern, FL
Hoover, I don't think it is an either/or proposition. It's up to those of us who support both to be creative as well as constructive in our vision and our approach. But I do not disagree that capturing a higher end clientel is a good idea, as it is part of the foundation, fabric, and appeal of South Walton. Affluence exists in sports, in some sports more than other sports, just as it does for the arts. We work together on this and we'll accomplish more, and end up with a better quality end product that meets the expectations as well as the needs of our residents and visitors.

I'd say if I am an Atlanta or Nashville resident, for example, and I want my child or children participating in the "Soccer By The Surf" Tournament at the Beaches of South Walton, and I have already visited before or know much or just some about the area, I'm making every bit of this sports vacation destination about the sport, about the vacation, and about the destination, and I'm renting one of the many houses on or by the beach. And I'm telling all of my child's teammates family to do the same.

And who knows, maybe one of the nights we'll spend some extra money, get a sitter, and go check out Yo Yo Ma, or the Gyspsy Kings, or the Rep's rendition of Fiddler on the Roof, or Swan Lake as performed by the visiting New York Ballet..... and we'll go see it at the outdoor amphitheatre that is within easy driving distance of the soccer fields my kids played at earlier in the day.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
DCFinSCB,
That sounds like a highly-desired tourist in your scenario. I'm just wondering how many of them exists, and what percentage of the total sports people they would represent. Many of the parents of these kids from here to TX pull every string possible to get their kids in these tournaments, and it takes not only time away from work, but also money that they would have spent for a vacation. They often come out of guilt. When I was a kid, we wouldn't dream about going out of state for a kids sports tournament, and our parents wouldn't have been able to afford it, without making other sacrifices. I'm sure there are families which can afford a trip to SoWal, soccer tournament, baby sitter, and Yo-Yo Ma, but I think they would be a rare breed. It is just my gut thought, and I may be totally wrong.

DCFinSCB

Beach Fanatic
Jul 27, 2007
Ol' Point Washingtern, FL
My reply was more specific to Hoover's post and just trying to point out that the two goals are not mutually exclusive.

I think we have to look at all of the angles on a project like this, but not necessarily try to be all things to all people. Let's figure out our competitive advantages that allow us to create uniquely inspirational South Walton and Emerald Coast experiences, and that strengthen not compromise our foundation, and capitalize on those.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Well, I am no expert on the subject and just voicing my personal thoughts on the demographics, and I am glad you are posting your thoughts, too. I can always learn something new.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I don't think the only reason for a sports facility is to bring in tourists - I think it would be a great asset for OUR community.

I would like to see fine arts like the REP continue to expand, but I think a park/indoor sports facility complex to improve the health of our residents is a much more immediate need than a place where Yo-Yo Ma can perform.

A larger theatre (perhaps near the new campus) would be a nice asset for the REP and school plays, but I don't really see a major demand for a large performance space - especially considering the proximity of many of our visitors to major cities.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
That all sounds good and lovely for us locals, but the TDC money isn't spent to give locals stuff, even though we may benefit. I believe their mission is to draw tourists to our area, and the way the locals benefit is by increased business revenues. The TDC doesn't make money off of the locals, and the only way they continue is by taking in the bed tax dollars.