• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

MommaMia

Beach Lover
Apr 15, 2009

Congressman Allen will hold a Town Meeting at the Gulf Coast Community College in Panama City on Friday, August 28th, 5:30 p.m. at the Amelia Arts Center.

Tickets are necessary. 500 free tickets will be distributed Tuesday, August 25th, from 4-8 p.m. at the Gulf Coast Community College Student Union.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Congressman Allen will hold a Town Meeting at the Gulf Coast Community College in Panama City on Friday, August 28th, 5:30 p.m. at the Amelia Arts Center.

Tickets are necessary. 500 free tickets will be distributed Tuesday, August 25th, from 4-8 p.m. at the Gulf Coast Community College Student Union.
Well, this will cut out a lot of people. It is nice of the Congressman to recognize the fact that not all those interested in attending live in Panama City and won't be able to go for these "tickets" at the appointed time. This isn't representation I would vote for in the future.
I'll be calling his office this morning and if the information is different from that posted, I'll let everyone know. BTW, I have contacted his office many times during the break to find out what the procedure for the meeting would be and until today it has not been given to the public. Oh well....

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
As I said earlier, good luck at passing his screening. Now, instead of having a town hall open to the general public, Congressman Boyd has opted to sit on a panel and discuss only healthcare, and you must show up three days early to sit and wait in line to try and get a ticket.

As an FYI- this change of plan has not been on the news, but there is a Panama City radio talk show host who mentioned the tickets to the meeting, late last week. That panelists meeting was already scheduled, so Boyd just opted to skip the town hall meeting, since he didn't want to face his voters.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Considering that in order to get to previous health care town hall meetings, he's had to drive past constituents who have chosen to exercise their first ammendment rights by hanging him in effigy, I can understand him feeling a little bit skittish right now.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
because regardless of the letter beside his name, he is supposed to represent the people, as all politicians should. The opposition is also due to his lack of public access to the only meeting he will be hosting which is a panel discussion on only healthcare. He backed out of the town hall meeting he had planned.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I realize he's a Democrat, but I thought Boyd was opposed to the currently proposed plan. Why is there local hostility to his meetings?
I don't understand what you are saying about "hostility". The meetings during the recess should be to discuss all aspects of what is brewing in Congress not just healthcare.
Allen Boyd would not even state his position on Cap and Trade and then voted for it. I would like to know his reasoning for voting for such a bill. I wanted an "open meeting" as a constituent, to possibly be able to ask a question. I also wanted to issue a challenge to Representative Boyd regarding term limits. I would like to challenge him to introduce such legislation, and no, I'm not so stupid as to think it would really go anywhere or be introduced. It is just another item that is badly in need of implementation in our society.
BTW, I have called Boyd's office this morning regarding the meeting, tickets and the format. The answering machine said my call would be returned. I am still waiting and will let all know when it is received.

Everytime

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelby County, Alabama
I don't understand what you are saying about "hostility".

The anti-Boyd hostility I was referencing was to beachmouse's claim that protesters were hanging him in effigy.

Please note that I agree with you (and disagree with Rep. Boyd) on Cap and Trade; that being said, I had been optimistic about him and some of the Blue Dogs in the face of the health care legislation (which I also oppose), and I was hoping that the effigists and such wouldn't threaten to fracture that potential alliance.

I also agree with you and Smiling JOe about public access to the event.