• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

melscuba

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
Roswell, Ga hoping SoWal someday
I think the many discussions on funding for gifted children is exactly spot on. I do understand that gifted children fall under "exceptional children"... as they should. This is why I see it as against PL-142 to deny services to these kids because of lack of funding or "not enough students" to offer a more advanced curriculum. I don't think a parent of an autistic child would except that excuse and neither will I. Each child is entitled to the least restrictive environment. This includes gifted children.

You are correct in that we have gone off topic from FCAT scores. However, I see it as all under the same umbrella. Students reaching their full potential is what I want SWHS to be about... not mediocrity. Do I need my children's high school to spit out Ivy league ready students? Well, if that's what the kid wants, then yes. I am educated from state schools for both my Bachelor's and Master's and my life is pretty good. That's what I want for my kids... and I want it at the beach :)

Susan Horn

Beach Fanatic
This is all very interesting about the funding, how much is spent per child according to different types (exceptional, regular, etc.), but what I would like to know more about is how the WCSD has improved and will continue to improve their process for early identification of gifted and talented kids, and how they will improve the enrichment offered (or whatever the PC term is for providing appropriate/least restrictive education for every student).

When my sons were in WC schools, the powers-that-be would not even test for giftedness until 3rd grade. By that time, one of our boys was bored, making all A's with absolutely no effort at all, and was starting to get in trouble for cutting up; towards the end of 3rd grade he quit even caring about the busywork that was so not-challenging, and wouldn't be bothered to do a good job on stuff that was so far below the level where he needed to be. As for the behavior-he knew exactly how many checks he could get by his name in a given day without having any real consequences, and he maxed it out every day.

The other son was screechingly bored before the end of kindergarten, and was so miserable that we started homeschooling him before the end of his kindergarten year. This was a child who went into kindergarten absolutely thrilled about it, ready to read, so excited to go to school -- he had been to a good preschool for 2 years, had an enriched home environment, lots of books, reading, and also displayed early artistic talent creating complex sculptures and freehand drawings. So duh, coloring those worksheets and all that busy work drove him crazy.

I don't know where the root of the problem was, but I had tried working with principals, teachers, even superintendent, and could not get any results and did not have the heart to watch them destroy or discourage these fine bright spirits any longer. Homeschooling was the best option we could figure out at the time, and it worked out fantastic. Then Seaside Neighborhood School, and then out of state to boarding school.

A good number of families took their kids out of Butler after that school year, some of the most involved PTO folks and so on, because they were so disappointed with so very much about the school, and about the district's abject refusal to address parental concerns. I'm talking about involved, PTO parents, fundraisers, classroom volunteers -- they could not get anything but the stonewall treatment and "You're the first person/group who's ever brought this to our attention; we will look into the matter." Nothing was done except to circle the wagons more tightly. Two families we knew personally moved out of state in search of better schools, and several others stayed here and homeschooled.

That school is now under new leadership and I hear good things about it, so perhaps things are better now. Still, I would like to know specifically what the plan of action is around identifying and serving gifted and talented kids as early as possible; it seems an ongoing screening plan ought to be in place.

melscuba

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
This is all very interesting about the funding, how much is spent per child according to different types (exceptional, regular, etc.), but what I would like to know more about is how the WCSD has improved and will continue to improve their process for early identification of gifted and talented kids, and how they will improve the enrichment offered (or whatever the PC term is for providing appropriate/least restrictive education for every student).

When my sons were in WC schools, the powers-that-be would not even test for giftedness until 3rd grade. By that time, one of our boys was bored, making all A's with absolutely no effort at all, and was starting to get in trouble for cutting up; towards the end of 3rd grade he quit even caring about the busywork that was so not-challenging, and wouldn't be bothered to do a good job on stuff that was so far below the level where he needed to be. As for the behavior-he knew exactly how many checks he could get by his name in a given day without having any real consequences, and he maxed it out every day.

The other son was screechingly bored before the end of kindergarten, and was so miserable that we started homeschooling him before the end of his kindergarten year. This was a child who went into kindergarten absolutely thrilled about it, ready to read, so excited to go to school -- he had been to a good preschool for 2 years, had an enriched home environment, lots of books, reading, and also displayed early artistic talent creating complex sculptures and freehand drawings. So duh, coloring those worksheets and all that busy work drove him crazy.

I don't know where the root of the problem was, but I had tried working with principals, teachers, even superintendent, and could not get any results and did not have the heart to watch them destroy or discourage these fine bright spirits any longer. Homeschooling was the best option we could figure out at the time, and it worked out fantastic. Then Seaside Neighborhood School, and then out of state to boarding school.

A good number of families took their kids out of Butler after that school year, some of the most involved PTO folks and so on, because they were so disappointed with so very much about the school, and about the district's abject refusal to address parental concerns. I'm talking about involved, PTO parents, fundraisers, classroom volunteers -- they could not get anything but the stonewall treatment and "You're the first person/group who's ever brought this to our attention; we will look into the matter." Nothing was done except to circle the wagons more tightly. Two families we knew personally moved out of state in search of better schools, and several others stayed here and homeschooled.

That school is now under new leadership and I hear good things about it, so perhaps things are better now. Still, I would like to know specifically what the plan of action is around identifying and serving gifted and talented kids as early as possible; it seems an ongoing screening plan ought to be in place.

Ditto! All I can say to the powers that be is that the tide is changing. I will be there to help facilitate change in the schools, but the problem must first be acknowledged. I feel this stretches into high achieving students who may not be identified as gifted, but who excel at school and need proper guidance in the school system. I want my public school system to meet the needs of my children. There is no reason to expect less. Our hearts are truly in SoWal. We want to raise our family there. However, I can't knowingly move to an area that has a problem with its high school system and isn't actively pursuing action for change. Hence, the start of this thread. Communication is the start and I see that happening right here on this board. Where does the WCSD go from here?

Susan Horn

Beach Fanatic
Paging Mark Davis

Mark Davis, are you here? I would refer you to the post that just went up today in another thread (What do they feed our children or something like that) on the Local Gov't forum. It's about Time for Lunch and an event that's happening locally. Hoping you and your school lunch contact can make use of the educational materials/activities and get them into the classrooms while you're figuring out how to get fresh local real and healthy food into our lunchrooms.

Imagine the improvement in behavior alone if sugary and caffeinated sodas were banned from schools; and if breakfasts and lunches featured fresh fruits and veggies. ;-)

Thanks for keeping after this.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Ditto! All I can say to the powers that be is that the tide is changing. I will be there to help facilitate change in the schools, but the problem must first be acknowledged. I feel this stretches into high achieving students who may not be identified as gifted, but who excel at school and need proper guidance in the school system. I want my public school system to meet the needs of my children. There is no reason to expect less. Our hearts are truly in SoWal. We want to raise our family there. However, I can't knowingly move to an area that has a problem with its high school system and isn't actively pursuing action for change. Hence, the start of this thread. Communication is the start and I see that happening right here on this board. Where does the WCSD go from here?

Why are you assuming that the high school isn't actively pursuing change? There was a great change this year- going to a traditional schedule, and also the school being more flexible with scheduling time for Florida Virtual school classes. As a parent, I totally understand your concerns- we have them too. But just so you know, there has been communication started on quite a few issues in the SoWal schools, and many parents, teachers, admin, and some board members do "get it". I can't speak for North Walton, but I am sure they have committed parents and staff as well.

The dialogue and hard work didn't start with this thread- it has been going on for awhile, in many ways, both in public and behind the scenes. We look forward to having another involved family move to the area- there seems to be many new families in our schools this year!:clap:

mdd88jd

Beach Lover
May 26, 2008
Mark Davis, are you here? I would refer you to the post that just went up today in another thread (What do they feed our children or something like that) on the Local Gov't forum. It's about Time for Lunch and an event that's happening locally. Hoping you and your school lunch contact can make use of the educational materials/activities and get them into the classrooms while you're figuring out how to get fresh local real and healthy food into our lunchrooms.

Imagine the improvement in behavior alone if sugary and caffeinated sodas were banned from schools; and if breakfasts and lunches featured fresh fruits and veggies. ;-)

Thanks for keeping after this.

thanks, I will pass along the date to our food service coordinator....

melscuba

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
Why are you assuming that the high school isn't actively pursuing change? There was a great change this year- going to a traditional schedule, and also the school being more flexible with scheduling time for Florida Virtual school classes. As a parent, I totally understand your concerns- we have them too. But just so you know, there has been communication started on quite a few issues in the SoWal schools, and many parents, teachers, admin, and some board members do "get it". I can't speak for North Walton, but I am sure they have committed parents and staff as well.

The dialogue and hard work didn't start with this thread- it has been going on for awhile, in many ways, both in public and behind the scenes. We look forward to having another involved family move to the area- there seems to be many new families in our schools this year!:clap:

I guess to clarify.. your information is exactly what I'm looking to hear. I want to know what is currently happening. I am aware of the schedule change and am glad for it as many posters seem to feel it will lead to improved instruction time. I am also aware of the Florida Virtual School offerings within the high school. These changes seem to both be positive. For me, a score of 46% on the FCAT is a situation that calls for immediate and sweeping change. I guess I'm looking for a sense of urgency. I have to ask myself if I'm willing to put my child in the school and wait to see of these few changes have a made a difference. I am, in the mean time, thrilled to have the dialogue in a forum that the change makers participate in. On another point, I have met many wonderful and dynamic people who live full time on 30-A. I have no doubt they are attentive and involved in their children's education and lives. I have moved several times in my life, but never with 3 school aged children in tow. It makes me more hesitant because I want this move to enhance their lives as much I know it will mine. This is the only "hole" in the plan... and its a biggie.