• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Michael Varley

Beach Comber
Jul 31, 2007
Can anyone help ID this snake? It's a tree climber. I feed the wild birds and I think it's eating them. Lots of feathers on the ground but no dead bird. Thanks

rlesgal

Beach Lover
Jun 27, 2009
Freeport
Can anyone help ID this snake? It's a tree climber. I feed the wild birds and I think it's eating them. Lots of feathers on the ground but no dead bird. Thanks

It's a rat snake, not poisonous, but will scare the bejeezes out of you when they fall out of the tree!
:yikes:

Michael Varley

Beach Comber
Jul 31, 2007
Point Washington. Lots of snakes this year. Copper heads, water snakes, pine snakes and races in the yard. Couldn't find this one on the net. Glad its not poisonous. Thank you!

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Juvenile cottonmouths are often mistaken for copperheads. That's what the snake books say. But my parents and grandparents used to talk like seeing copperheads was not anything unusual.

And I can only hope that pvarley decides to keep her snakes to herself and doesn't send them over here :D:wave:

Miss Ellie

Beach Crab
Apr 14, 2009
Will be staying in a rental house on Seagrove Beach in two weeks.........should I worry about snakes there?????? :)

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
Will be staying in a rental house on Seagrove Beach in two weeks.........should I worry about snakes there?????? :)

There are poisonous and nonpoisonous snakes all over Florida, but it's a colossal waste of time to worry about them. (Unless 1- you're the type who likes to wander around barefoot in tall undergrowth, 2- you spend a lot of time looking under rocks and logs, or 3- you happen to be a rodent.)

fishheadspin

Beach Comber
May 18, 2009

So not a copperhead and so not a moccasin. Rat snake all the way. Great snake to have around.

I catch about any non- poison snake i see and take it and release it around my house. There is no better mouse trap and black snakes will actually fight copperheads and run them away.

You are better off worrying about biting flies and jellyfish than worrying about snakes and sharks!