• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

rblessed1031

Beach Lover
Jul 14, 2008
Dune Allen
I think I have read in past postings that Shell Island is one of the best places to snorkel in the area. We are staying in GB next week and were wondering opinions on this and how to get there, is a boat necessary to get to the island? Any info would be appreciated.

Winnie

Beach Fanatic
Jul 22, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I think I have read in past postings that Shell Island is one of the best places to snorkel in the area. We are staying in GB next week and were wondering opinions on this and how to get there, is a boat necessary to get to the island? Any info would be appreciated.

Here's a good web site: St. Andrews State Park's SHELL ISLAND SHUTTLE.

If you going the other direction (west instead of east) there is pretty good snorkeling at the jetties in Destin. Depending on the weather and current, but inside the east jetty is usually pretty calm. Just turn left at Holiday Isle Road (the first light on Hwy 98 after Big Kahunas Water Park). I'm not sure where public parking is now there. We always parked at Jetty East or took a boat. I'm pretty sure there is a public lot near there. Maybe someone else knows. If you Google a map to Jetty East in Destin you'll see the location. It's free and a little closer than Shell Island.

butterbean

Beach Fanatic
Jun 15, 2006
I've heard there was a wreck off the beach in Seagrove that you can snorkel to. Anyone know where this is? Anyone? Beuller? Anyone? Mikacatadjuster might tell you to just go to the second sand bar , you can check out his vids on Sowal!

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I've heard there was a wreck off the beach in Seagrove that you can snorkel to. Anyone know where this is? Anyone? Beuller? Anyone? Mikacatadjuster might tell you to just go to the second sand bar , you can check out his vids on Sowal!

I have found the best way to do it is take the kayak out past the second sand bar and swim around there. The kayak prevents fatigue and can serve as your platform to rest on, stash shells, etc. I am hoping somebody can clue me in to where some structure is as I have yet to find any, but if you stay just off the second bar for a matter of time, you will see plenty of sea life.

Franny

Beach Fanatic
Mar 27, 2005
Pt. Washington
We have done the jetties in Destin and wanted to see if there were other places to visit.

Thank you for the link to St. Andrew's.

We prefer Shell Island over the Destin jetties and yes you need a boat to get there. You can rent a pontoon at the foot of Hathaway Bridge or take the 'bus' over. Renting a boat would be best because you can then cruise down the bay side and find all kinds of great locales for snorkeling and you can walk over the island to the Gulf. Be sure and wear dive footies because there are sea urchins in the grassy areas. It is truly a beautiful area. Have funn!

Last edited:

dogflyguy

Beach Lover
Sep 24, 2007
www.floridastateparks.org/STJOSEPH/http:// This park is a pretty good drive from where you are but you can walk to some good bay snorkeling here, just go down until you see the boat ramp on your right and just walk to the bay shoreline. Lots of sea life we saw spider crabs horeshoe crabs blue crabs puffer fish, pipe fish,flounder,scallops,tube worms,moon snails and tons of fish and definitely wear old sneakers or swim shoes for there are lots of sea urchins