• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Kitty, it isn't a boardwalk to nowhere. It is a board walk to the most beautiful beaches in the world. Think about it like this -- the beaches could be said to end nowhere, but we all want to go right to the edge of nowhere.

murphrg

Beach Comber
Mar 6, 2006
Grayton Beach
So what happens when another "Opal" comes along and washes the pavillion up into the houses and businesses of Grayton Beach? Another grant to rebuild? It is a hard job the TDC has trying to preserve the goose laying the golden egg. I just hope they realize that is there job!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
If another Opal comes along, we will be much more worried about things other than one of hundreds of boardwalks washing up.

I guess the property could have been sold to someone else so it could be an entire house washing up rather than a short boardwalk with observation deck. You need to remember that part of the requirement for the receiving the grant money for the County to purchase it, was to add a "recreational opportunity" to the property, for the public.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
and unless someone has changed the original plan, it will only be a "pavilion" in the sense that it will be a widened-out boardwalk. The same material and same height as the boardwalk that is there presently on the East side of Garfield.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
To clarify a couple of issues:

The grant was given to the County to purchase the land, not build the boardwalk/ADA compliant sitting area. The initial grant package submitted by the County included a requirement to build a recreational amenity.

The boardwalk/sitting area is extremely similar to what was initially proposed with the biggest difference being the requirement by USFWS and Florida FWS to build it 30" above the ground and slight bending of the walkway to avoid sensitive areas. It does have a widened platform area with benches at the end. Additionally, educational signage is to be included along the boardwalk highlighting flora and fauna, coastal dune lakes, flag warning system, etc.

Like Grayton Girl said, based on input from the community at the community meetings, Dist. 5 Commissioners office, the TDC, and others are requesting a meeting with the agency who gave Walton County the grant to discuss not developing anything within the parcel and leaving it in it's pristine state. Then building a similar recreational amentity on the eastern side of the drive-on access where the boardwalks currently are.

Stay tuned!

Last edited:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I can already see a wedding planner frantically trying to run people off of this thing right before sunset.

jensieblue

Beach Fanatic
Jun 2, 2005
on a lake in the woods
that would be a site to see

A frantic wedding planner trying to herd a group of folks in wheelchairs and on walkers. We don't heard well or quickly and have a tendency to either fall or get our wheelchair wheels misaligned. I don't know. I frequently have difficulty exiting the elevator in my physicians building and have been known to require the assistance of several medical personel. You don't think she would use a cattle prod do you? :dunno:

totally

Beach Comber
Jul 19, 2008
If another Opal comes along, we will be much more worried about things other than one of hundreds of boardwalks washing up.

I guess the property could have been sold to someone else so it could be an entire house washing up rather than a short boardwalk with observation deck. You need to remember that part of the requirement for the receiving the grant money for the County to purchase it, was to add a "recreational opportunity" to the property, for the public.
If I remember correctly, it was questionable if a house could be built there at all.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
A frantic wedding planner trying to herd a group of folks in wheelchairs and on walkers. We don't heard well or quickly and have a tendency to either fall or get our wheelchair wheels misaligned. I don't know. I frequently have difficulty exiting the elevator in my physicians building and have been known to require the assistance of several medical personel. You don't think she would use a cattle prod do you? :dunno:

No, I just meant commandeering it as an alternative to a beach wedding.