• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I have a bad feeling that unless something is done quickly these poor animals might end up on the nuisance list and we all know what that means. Fish and Game or whoever needs to be aware that these animals are increasing in presence around here and start educating the public about securing garbage and dumpsters. They have a pretty good food supply around here without the dumpsters but add about 20 restaurant left-over laden dumpsters sitting there open all might and you have the makings of a disaster. I am not sure if bear proof dumpsters are available in this area but someone might want to look into it before it gets really bad around here.

DavidD

Beach Fanatic
Jul 23, 2008
Seagrove
www.davidDdesign.com
I have a bad feeling that unless something is done quickly these poor animals might end up on the nuisance list and we all know what that means. Fish and Game or whoever needs to be aware that these animals are increasing in presence around here and start educating the public about securing garbage and dumpsters. They have a pretty good food supply around here without the dumpsters but add about 20 restaurant left-over laden dumpsters sitting there open all might and you have the makings of a disaster. I am not sure if bear proof dumpsters are available in this area but someone might want to look into it before it gets really bad around here.

This is a good point. All it takes is a few people to start getting nervous before a mob with torches and pitchforks starts canvasing the forests. The last bear/dumpster situation around here that I've heard of was maybe 11 years ago at the Donut Hole on 98. I'm not sure if I remember what happened as a result - I think that they may have captured it and released it on the Eglin preserve.

jensieblue

Beach Fanatic
Jun 2, 2005
on a lake in the woods
Let's rent a copy of the Yearling...I'll bring some pop corn. Hope the campers in Grayton have the food cans you hang in a tree to prevent bears coming to your food supply...I doubt these city folk know anything about bears.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
this from a thread last year...

http://www.sowal.com/bb/sowal-lounge/24921-drowning-375-pound-bear-rescued-gulf-mexico.html

Biologist pulls doped bear from gulf

Stephanie Garry, Times Staff Writer
In Print: Sunday, June 29, 2008
Biologist Adam Warwick holds a 375-pound black bear?s head above water as he guides the tranquilized animal to shore.
b4s_bear062908a_28969c.jpg

ALLIGATOR POINT ? Adam Warwick watched with dread as the 375-pound black bear loped into the Gulf of Mexico....
http://www.tampabay.com/news/environ...icle650068.ece

Wavewatcher

Beach Lover
Jan 7, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Thanks for the post it is always wise to be aware of your surroundings. I travel this road daily and it is a good reminder that wildlife may be crossing at any moment. I spotted some snowy egrets today also hanging out near Grayton, it is a wonderful place to be.

I have seen some damage that bears can do at Yosemite Park. They are powerful animals. Put that food up!

Last edited:

nicdeedoop

Beach Lover
Jul 12, 2005
I have seen 4 seperate bears in the last 3 months. Two "residents" and two that just made a brief appearance. I've had no luck with Waste Management in obtaining a bear proof dumpster and having just been in Yellowstone a few weeks ago, I know they make them :D. In constant touch with the great people at Topsail and we are working to minimize contact and access. I'd post some pictures but :bang:

Santiago

Beach Fanatic
May 29, 2005
seagrove beach
This is a good point. All it takes is a few people to start getting nervous before a mob with torches and pitchforks starts canvasing the forests. The last bear/dumpster situation around here that I've heard of was maybe 11 years ago at the Donut Hole on 98. I'm not sure if I remember what happened as a result - I think that they may have captured it and released it on the Eglin preserve.

The bear's been spotted in Watercolor in the last week or so. Fish and Wildlife is aware of this and are staying hands off of the situation right now. It does add a new element to walking the dogs at night.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com