• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

jensieblue

Beach Fanatic
Jun 2, 2005
on a lake in the woods
Where do the locals of sowal go to eat. What are your favorite, absolute favorite eateries. Fancy is not an issue. Looking for the eateries who serve the absolute best, preferably localy produced, food? :dunno:

Where do the locals of sowal go to eat. What are your favorite, absolute favorite eateries. Fancy is not an issue. Looking for the eateries who serve the absolute best, preferably localy produced, food? :dunno:

Stinky's Fish Camp is my current favorite! :drool:

FloridaBuckeye

Beach Lover
Sep 4, 2008

"Fire" in Grayton

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
We think Red Bar at lunch has the best value, most consistent grilled mahi sandwich around.

A little further west- Jasmine Thai in Destin (good food at reasonable prices.) Just tried Sushimoto in the Melting Pot strip mall the other day and had some nice chicken terriyaki and udon soup there. Am looking forward to trying out their sushi lunch specials.

Last edited:

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
I love George's at Alys Beach, especially the grouper sandwich. Also Red Bar, the beignets at Flip Flops, and Fabrice pastries at Watercolor (amazing pastries). The donuts at Alys Beach Charlie's donut truck are very good and inexpensive. I'm not a local, but a wanna-be part-time local in a few years.

SneakyPete

Beach Lover
May 8, 2009
Red Bar, Shorty's and Stinky's for far better than average coastal fare (heavy on the seafood) at good prices and great atmosphere. I'd bring a large party of visitors here.

View for miles and leisure meal -- Bud and Alley's and/or The Pizza Bar. Excellent, top quality food at prices that include the environment. I'd bring visitors here for lunch after touring Seaside and the shops.

Barbeque and other inventive menu items -- Jambones. Particularly their eggs benedict on Sunday mornings. Locals mostly, but I'd bring visitors as well, but not if they wanted a leisurely beachy-view dining experience.

Upscale/unusual fare at good prices -- Fire at Grayton, and Vint'j across from the outlet mall. I'd bring the foodies in our group here.

Fresh, cheap thrill Mexican -- Don Pedros. Primarily locals, and not really "special" enough to entice out-of-town visitors (no view, little seafood, very casual atmosphere), but a place we visit often for inexpensive weeknight meals. I don't eat meat so El Mercadito isn't really a place I can eat.

Unusual mix of cuisines (seafood, bar food, and some Korean) all of it quite good at excellent prices -- Steamboat Landing. This is the place we go when we want something simple, delicious, fast and cheap with no concern for view and no wait. Very clean place as well.