• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
Many are celebrating Edgar Allan Poe's Death Date: Oct. 7, 1849. This blends well with other Halloween and writer's activities this month. In SoWal, you might want to read more about Poe's connection to Walton County, Florida through Madame Octavia Walton Le Vert. Octavia was the daughter of Walton County's namesake, George Walton, Jr.

Octavia was traveling from Pensacola to Baltimore in 1827. She likely passed through Alaqua. Following Octavia and Edgar's introduction, Poe wrote a poem for her. Barnes and Noble's latest book on the complete works of Poe includes this poem. A visit to a local bookstore might be in order.

Walton County had become one of the early counties of Florida, Dec. 29, 1824. Perhaps Octavia and Edgar discussed our beautiful and interesting area.

You can read more about this on my history blog. Be sure to log in to see pictures and maps. See blogs on Octavia and Alaqua, Walton County's first county seat.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Brenda: There was old dirt road on the west side of Eastern Lake called Poe Avenue (it's almost gone now) and Rogene Hasty, Phylis Hasty's mom, told a story once that a guy named Edgar Poe stayed at Billy Wesley's old homestead on Eastern Lake. Coincidence? I don't think so.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
Yes. Very interesting. Edgar Poe Wesley was one of the Wesley twins. The Wesleys were the early homesteaders of much of the land around Eastern Lake -- William and Katie Wesley. A Poe street shows up sometimes on map searches on the east side, but of course, it doesn't exist anymore or should I say Nevermore.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
So did Annabelle Lee's "Kingdom by the Sea" the waters of Walton County??

Thanks so much for this interesting info!!!

G

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
October 7th is my brithday...Just in case anyone cares. lol.

PoeBirthday_TerryPottmeyer.jpg

Here's to a great birthday!! :wave:

G

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
Gidget , What a perfect birthday wish for Cheapet4!! Very thoughtful of you. So Raven.

View attachment 14651

I wanted to post this the other night, but could not get the photo to upload to Sowal.

I shot this photo at Poe's Tavern on Sullivans Island, SC this summer. Apparently Poe lived here while writing The Gold Bug. This tavern is a funky, kinda spooky place on the beach--we had a great time, and I just loved the sign. Everything in the place is EAPoe...be sure and stop in if you get to Sullivans Island.