• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

bdc63

Beach Fanatic
Jun 12, 2006
Md for now, but dreaming of SoWal
Hi all.

Since my last visit to SoWal I'm become a raw vegan. I'm pretty sure most of my old haunts aren't going to meet my needs anymore (and might even get me laughed out of a few places I used to frequent;-)).

Anybody have any recommendations for raw and-or vegan restuarants / juice bars / organic wines / food stores?

Thanks in advance.

bdc63

Beach Fanatic
Jun 12, 2006
Raw & Juicy, Seaside. The Airstream on 30a across from Pickles.

Thanks jdarg! I'll be there every morning.

I was just looking through the posts in this forum and noticed the ones on "best salad" and "vegetarian" -- I suspect those may be good leads as well.

Does anyone know if Publix has a good organic produce section? I was hoping there might be a Whole Foods/Trader Joe's/Wild Oats by now, but it doesn't appear to be the case.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
In addition to Raw & Juicy, hit the Saturday Farmer's Market in Seaside (organic eggs, produce, baked goods, sprouts, preserves etc.), and For the Health of It in Blue Mtn.

I think Amavida might have some organic wines and products too.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
In addition to Raw & Juicy, hit the Saturday Farmer's Market in Seaside (organic eggs, produce, baked goods, sprouts, preserves etc.), and For the Health of It in Blue Mtn.

I think Amavida might have some organic wines and products too.

Amavida has organic wine, beer, and Fair Trade coffee~

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
HI - I can certainly appreciate your dilemma! Prior to moving here I was a raw vegan and then went to eating something cooked only at night and then only in colder weather. It was darn difficult to eat out or eat socially. Now I am vegan at home mostly raw - but do eat something warm and cooked if the desire takes me. I have added some seafood when eating out if I can't find something that suits my taste vegan wise. Publix can have good organic fruits and veggies - I bought organic grapes and apples there the other day. Just depends. Also, we bought a case of organic sweet potatoes from For The Health of It - and those are good sliced thinly and eaten raw or cooked. Off The Vine produce delivers around this area and you can go online to their site and see what they have. It isn't easy to be 100% raw vegan 100% of the time - good luck to you and by all means share what you find.

To health!
Gidget

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
I suspect the area just isn't big enough to fit into Whole Foods' current expansion strategy. Fresh Market in Destin has also had some good produce lately and is probably as close as the area will get to WF in the medium range.

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
Hi all.

Since my last visit to SoWal I'm become a raw vegan. I'm pretty sure most of my old haunts aren't going to meet my needs anymore (and might even get me laughed out of a few places I used to frequent;-)).

Anybody have any recommendations for raw and-or vegan restuarants / juice bars / organic wines / food stores?

Thanks in advance.

"For The health of it" located in Blue Mountain. The best! Hands on and can help with all your needs.

bdc63

Beach Fanatic
Jun 12, 2006
Thanks for your post and information Gidget. "Off The Vine" sounds like a great service - unfortunately their delivery day in this area is more towards the end of my trip then the beginning, but I'll have to remember them if we come back for a couple of weeks over the summer.

It isn't easy to be 100% raw vegan 100% of the time

I'll second that -- it's one of the hardest things I've ever done. I used to be a darn good "cook", but now its like throwing all those skills away and starting over. I'm still in morning over my fancy pots and various kitchen gadgets that I have no use for anymore. And I keep checking out all the RAW cookbooks from the library, but am having trouble embracing the whole elaborate presentation thing -- its mosting salads, fruit, and a handfull of nuts for me. Although I finally broke down and bought a dehydrator, so that is helping to get my creative culinary juices flowing a bit.

I almost wish it didn't make me feel so damn good so I could go back to eating burgers and fries like normal people.

Last edited: