• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

omb

Beach Crab
Aug 29, 2009
A note left by our summer renters suggested we try the new cafe Bouchee (leaving us with a menu high lighting their favs). The food was so good. We have not yet had dinner, but their breakfast was awesome(the egg and cheese BLT is wonderful) and their lunch is also great, we had their Reuben sandwich ...yummy, and the New Orleans Beef Po-Boy with this gravy that is to die for. Everything was priced so reasonably. We bought our own bloody-mary's in on Sunday....'no worries mate' is what the New Zealand guy there said. Seemed like the place was full of locals talking with each other about fishing and catching crabs, got any fishing questions go there and ask for James...the guy really knows his stuff about the local fishing hot spots. Thanks guys for opening another really great spot to eat in Sea Grove.:clap:

Iris

Beach Fanatic
Aug 10, 2009
Seacrest
I woke up this morning and was sad it was Monday. I could have really used some of their grits. And yes, dinner is great there also.

bluemtnrunner

Beach Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
There was just not enough revenue being generated to keep it afloat. It is so sad. This was a great spot. I'm gonna miss John's grits! I hope he can find a way to open back up or find another place.

Cafe Bouchee Closed

I went to Cafe Bouchee on Saturday looking forward to my Eggs Benedict? But they are gone.

I know our market is tough, but I loved their food. Where has John and Kerrie gone? I would like to follow them.

I will miss my breakfast place:dunno:!

kkddbb

Banned
May 13, 2009
been here for years and have seen hundreds of small businesses leave. its tough in a tourist town. just got to wish them the best in the future...

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
There was a business plan Bobby J We were a little miffed by the numbers though, to remain open, we needed an avg. of $10/per person and 16 guests through the door on average per hour. We were only busy bt/n 8-9am and 1pm-2pm. The rent on this location was an absolute killer.

My comment was not meant to be directed at only you. It seems many people open up along 30A with no direct idea of how to get the people through the doors to incorporate their plan. The plan needs to include ways to get people through the doors. My experience on 30A has shown me advertising and tremendous amounts of marketing are the only ways to make it work. You all had an incredible product but the masses were unaware you were there. On a more busy route you would have killed it.

Last edited:

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
My comment was not meant to be directed at only you. It seems many people open up along 30A with no direct idea of who to get the people through the doors to incorporate their plan. The plan needs to include ways to get people through the doors. My experience on 30A has shown me advertising and tremendous amounts of marketing are the only ways to make it work. You all had an incredible product but the masses were unaware you were there. On a more busy route you would have killed it.

All good points, but what is effective advertising these days? What is the best way to spend that small amount of money you have to sell yourself? That is the $1 million question right now, and it is different in every market, and changing all the time.

The best advertising of course is word of mouth, which is free. And if you put out a good product you will help yourself. BUT. I deal a lot with business people down here in Tampa, and hands down the people who are having the most trouble are the ones with the newest businesses, and sometimes the quality of product or price is not the deciding factor. It's because those people who are deciding to spend their money are actively choosing to spend it on the places they are loyal to because they want them to stay in business.

And so the newbies are struggling, unless they have a *perfect* business model, but most people do learn as they go and it takes time to get into a rhythm.

Good luck to the Bouchee folks. And God bless all the brave folks who are hanging out their shingles! :wave: