• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

mikecat adjuster

Beach Fanatic
Oct 18, 2007
Seagrove.
www.myspaceherspace.com
I was told that a black bear was hit on highway 30A at night in Grayton Beach as it came out in front of the vehicle. The bear then ran off into the woods.

Hopefully it did not sustain internal injuries. I did not get solid confirmation at the rate of speed of the vehicle, as the information came second hand, but was told the car was just moderately going along near the Starbucks area.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Poor bear! A few years back we saw a road kill bear on Hwy 20 near Choctaw Beach that had been decapitated. (At least he probably didn't suffer long)

Camellia

Beach Fanatic
Nov 26, 2004
Neighborhood gossip heard this week is that the bear has been hanging around the Starbucks dumpster at night.

mikecat adjuster

Beach Fanatic
Oct 18, 2007
Seagrove.
www.myspaceherspace.com
Yep, I'll be that was the one. Hope it responds well to the accident. Not that it eating from a dumpster is directly tied to this saying, but 'a fed bear is a dead bear.'

I also wanted to find the thread pertaining to someone who wondered if they could have seen a bald eagle. Some responded that it was probably an Osprey because the sighting was near the Gulf.

Who knows what the bird was, but I have seen bald eagle near the Gulf on several occasions. Yesterday I saw one directly over Highway 98 while crossing Lake Powel, just east of 30A.

Just wanted to add to that thread and let the person know that it was entirely possible that it was a bald eagle they saw.

jack fish

Beach Comber
Jul 15, 2007
i saw a bald eagle yesterday flying over my house on the bay in point washington. i saw three last winter here, a mother and two juveniles, which look like golden eagles until they are about five years old, i think. happy to see them back.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
There was a bold eagle hanging out in the Deer Lake area over the winter 2007-2008. Some friends even saw it diving for fish just off the beach near Eastern Lake.

I think it would be hard to mistake an osprey for a bald eagle. Size and coloration are quite distinctively different.

jjnole04

Beach Comber
Jul 15, 2008
Found this article about bears...

Feeding bears a sure invitation to trouble in paradise
Daytona Beach News Journal, 10/22/2009

Here's a news flash: Florida black bears do den in the winter and prepare for the cooler temperatures by loading up on calories. That's why we're hearing and reading about bears in neighborhoods, encountering humans more than during other times of the year. Bears are eating machines during autumn.
From now until sometime in December, most of our bears will be out foraging for whatever they can find: berries, bugs, acorns and our garbage, if it's available. They'll also devour cat and dog food if left out in the open.
This feeding craze is called hyperphagia. Black bears forage for up to 18 hours a day, sometimes consuming 20,000 calories. The black bear may seem slow, but bears are pretty smart. Why bother with the berry bush, when the remnants of last night's pizza sit tantalizingly available in an unsecured garbage can brought out to the curb the night before garbage pickup? No wonder black bears wander into neighborhoods. The dog food out on the screened porch at the neighbor's house is going to provide many more calories than the small acorns in the backyard.
Easy pickings, for sure; but is it good for the bear? Is it good for us? The answer to both questions is an emphatic "NO." Bears want to and should be in the wild, where they will find the food they need for the winter months. And we certainly will be better off without a large wild animal wandering near our children and our pets.
Sometimes folks refer to human-bear conflicts as the "bear problem." As I see it, bears don't have a problem -- they just have a natural instinct to load up on food. In fact, I admire their resourcefulness in finding the easiest source by using their finely tuned sense of smell. Anything from grease to scented candles can attract the bear, and an unsecured garbage can is an easy target.
Today, 2,500 to 3,000 bears roam Florida, but the species remains threatened. While habitat loss and fragmentation are well-documented in Florida, there are still wild areas for bears to roam. Bears will stay in the woods, if there is no reason to come out.
While wildlife-resistant containers are an excellent tool in reducing conflicts, the cans are expensive, and they are often not available for individual purchase. It falls to the waste-service provider to take on those extra costs to offer some relief to their customers. In Franklin County in the Panhandle, Waste Pro voluntarily ordered the wildlife-resistant cans and began distributing them to interested residents for a small monthly fee. We're hoping other waste-service providers around the state will follow their example.
In residential neighborhoods where food is easy to get, residents face a two-fold problem. They are responsible for cleaning up the mess made by the wildlife, and they face close encounters.
You can minimize or eliminate these problems by securing attractants such as garbage in wildlife-resistant containers and by removing or cleaning up other attractants in the yard.
The FWC is working with waste-service providers, such as Waste Pro, across the state to launch cost-effective solutions to this shared problem.
For more information on wildlife-resistant containers and to find out what you can do to avoid bear conflicts, go to MyFWC.com/Bear. Call your local waste-service provider and ask the company to provide the cans that will help keep bears where they belong -- in the wild.
Barreto is chairman of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.