• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

mikecat adjuster

Beach Fanatic
Oct 18, 2007
Seagrove.
www.myspaceherspace.com
YouTube - Pygmy Rattlesnake

Okay, my underwater videos may be histroy for awhile as the water temperature is quite different from the summer months. But the Diamondback Rattlesnake featured in my last episode of 'Another Walk with Mike' is evidence that I am back in the woods again. Even though that particular snake was found in my yard :D

Anyway, this epsidoe features a common snake around here, the Pygmy Rattler. It will give you a good look at how the snake behaves, its movements and temperment.

Notice how still it can be and also how it uses its tail.

And to Gidget who responded to my last video, wondering why I haven't been picked up by someone. I haven't tried to pursue anything, but that sure was a nice thing to say. You guys have shown me a lot of love and motivated me to do more. I actually have had a number of people want me to include my videos on their sites, but... A guy who has a fabulous Diamondback Rattlesnake website asked me just the other day, but money is usually not in the equation.

I have thought of making a DVD, but lately I've been trying to figure out if, like I've talked about, going off and working somewhere for a while and getting to know another beautiful area of the country. I almost began putting my stuff in storage today but someone introduced another option that I am considering.

Regardless, I shot some great video of an Oak Snake today that was quite interesting. The snake made some great moves and coiled into some phenominal poses.

Take care group and share love. The movie 'Seven Pounds' might be of interest to you if you like depth and excellence in film. Nothing to do with snakes, but giving is a theme.

mikecat adjuster

Beach Fanatic
Oct 18, 2007
Seagrove.
www.myspaceherspace.com
Thank you guys. Yes, that was a sizable pygmy rattler. You wonder how their little minds work. The way, from a distance, it began heading toward the underside of a house. I was able to corner it into stopping to get some additional fooatge, but it knew where it was going.

Initially, I actually set my bike down on the road and began searching for snakes and upon returning to my bike a pygmy was next to my bike. Wow! It was there all along. I just missed it as I looked elsewhere. Your eyes can only be trained on one place.

When I walk through the woods, unfortunately I miss some beautiful perspectives. Why? Well, I know how many snakes exist out there, thus I keep my eyes trained on where my next steps will be. The result is often tight neck muscles from constantly looking down.

But the results are worth it. Yesterday the only 'live' snake I saw was on the road. Great footage as it went into some shrubs. It's raining today and has been all morning which hurts my plans of possibly trekking through Topsail today. Who knows what the weather will do. We'll see.

mikecat adjuster

Beach Fanatic
Oct 18, 2007
Seagrove.
www.myspaceherspace.com
I am traveling to see the kiddies in Louisiana and may take my kayak. Of so, I might get some good footage of gator. I'm not sure the conditions of some of the bayous I use to trek in, the grass levels, the access etc.

But if I get in there and get some good stuff on film, you know sowal will get a look see. Keep good thoughts in your mind and I will likewise, who knows what can transpire. But it will have to be good. Even if I get eaten or bitten, all is good. I fit within Nature and it feels good to feel it all breathe around me. Did you notice in the past two videos how the Eastern Diamondback and Pygmy were breathing heavily? In there is a heartbeat and we felt it together.

Later

gmarc

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2009
are the pigmy rattlers around as much in the cold of the winter?i haven't seen one yet but a neighbor almost stepped on one. i bought some gloves and boots so the enxt time i'm spreading pinestraw wi'll use them. do they dig under the pinestraw or stay on top of it?

Yikes

That's the biggest pygmie I've ever seen. All the ones I've seen and killed (only the ones close to my stairs and where the grandchildren play) were much much smaller. Same markings, same pit viper triangle shaped head, but no where near this size. Yeowzer!

dougkocour

Beach Comber
Apr 23, 2009
VERY cool video - thanks for sharing it. I too live in Seagrove but I've yet to see some nice rattlers like that...only small black racers scurrying around now and then. I know they're here though...better watch my step!

mikecat adjuster

Beach Fanatic
Oct 18, 2007
Seagrove.
www.myspaceherspace.com
Nope, the pygmy are not around as much in the dead of winter. And the pygmy I shot video of was approximately 20 inches. Yes, a stud in pygmy standards :) They are reported to get as big as 24 inches.

I am currently in Louisiana and have walked a trail here and on three consecutive walks there I saw the same cottonmouth on all occasions. I shot some video of it and it was a real strong snake. I handled it to a limited degree and it was a very strong specimen.

Nature is a beautiful and spectacular thing. My children and I first saw this cottonmouth a few days ago. We also saw coyote tracks and dung along with other signs of nature and little critters that inhabit the woods and waters. Some nice sized gator have also been seen lining the banks of bayous here.

I'll be home soon.