• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

lms47

Beach Lover
Apr 23, 2008
Freeport, FL
After living on a canal off of Alaqua Bay for nine years, I have observed some unusual things for a "city girl". Please forgive my ignorance but: yesterday, @noon, I was sitting on my back deck and saw 9 jellyfish:yikes: Of course, I didn't have a camera and for this, I apologize. May I assume this is a natural occurence? The short web search I did seemed to point to moon jellyfish. Do any of you out there know about these canal creatures? Early gratitude to any who can solve this question for me: thanks!

kkddbb

Banned
May 13, 2009
dont know for sure without looking at them, but jellyfish often make their way to the bays and up canals from tidal, etc.

ChillPill

Beach Fanatic
Apr 8, 2009
Hi, I live on the bayou in historic point washington and have been observing these jellyfish come through mostly sept/oct (but I've only lived here since spring). Are these what your 'friends' look like too? I believe you are correct as moon jellies. Not weird, just mother nature :)

Last edited:

lms47

Beach Lover
Apr 23, 2008
Freeport, FL
Hi, I live on the bayou in historic point washington and have been observing these jellyfish come through mostly sept/oct (but I've only lived here since spring). Are these what your 'friends' look like too? I believe you are correct as moon jellies. Not weird, just mother nature :)

:clap:Yep! ChillPill. My little kritters look just like those in your picture, thanks for solving my mystery. Mother Nature continues to amaze me.

ChillPill

Beach Fanatic
Apr 8, 2009
:clap:Yep! ChillPill. My little kritters look just like those in your picture, thanks for solving my mystery. Mother Nature continues to amaze me.

I'm with you. Completely amazed at what I see and learn about nature living here. First I google it, then I SoWal it too!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Most every animal I've seen in the Gulf, I've seen in the bay and bayous, including jellyfish, stingrays, alligators, and dolphins. Still waiting to see the sharks in the bayous.

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
Most every animal I've seen in the Gulf, I've seen in the bay and bayous, including jellyfish, stingrays, alligators, and dolphins. Still waiting to see the sharks in the bayous.

SJ, your post is a bit amibiguous only with respect to sharks. Does it mean you've seen sharks in the bay as well as the other species, but just waiting to see a shark up a bayou/creek?

It's only 5 months until shark week is on Tv again, so i want to get my facts straight, before i freak out again,

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Good catch, robertsondavies. I guess I was typing too fast. I have NOT yet seen sharks in the bay, though I've heard other people say they have seen them there. I've heard many people talk about seeing plenty of sharks in the Intracoastal Waterway, and there is only one way to get there from either direction, the bay. I'm sure they are there, and likely scooting in and out of the bayous too, I just haven't seen one yet, though I have paddled beside them in the Gulf, and I've seen them clear the water while standing on the beach, and I even had one swim maybe ten feet in front of me while I was out fishing waist-deep one time. I did see a Spinner Shark one time while out paddling in what I consider the bay, the north side of Cape San Blas.

SlowMovin

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
My next door neighbor caught a small (about 2 ft.) bull shark off his dock way up in the northern part of Mallet Bayou a couple of months ago.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I've seen catfish nearly that size in Mallet Bayou. I'm not sure which would be worse, being finned by a catfish or bitten by a small bull shark. ouch!