• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
Hurricane Watch just posted (8:40ish am. CST 11-8-09) from Louisianna to Mississippi/Alabama border. For those not familiar, Pensacola, on the western border of Florida, is only about 80 miles west of SoWal. Mobile, Alabama is about a two hour drive and we can be in Biloxi, Mississippi under 4 hours. I've personally pulled my boat up a little more on shore and took the plug out. Monday night should be very interesting with hightide at 1:39 a.m. (really Tuesday morning).

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
water temps may be in the upper 60s right now in the shallow water along our beach, but in the deeper depths, there is so much mass that it takes longer for it to cool down and temps are still warmer from the summer, around 75-80F degrees right now.

gl_sst.gif

Looking at the tracking maps, it seems that we may get hit one way or another from Hurricane Ida, either from the north as it sweeps east across the FL panhandle, or from the open waters of the Gulf to our south.

at200911.gif

Good news is that only one tracking model for Invest 96 ( a seperate storm) is showing that storm moving into the Gulf, and the other models take Invest 96 back into the Pacific.

At this time, Dr Masters hasn't updated his weather blog since yesterday. He should have an update sometime this morning. WeatherUnderground.com

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Tropical storm Ida heading toward SoWal ... so am I. :yikes:
Didn't like the last few NHC maps since those that showed it curving towards Tampa. Plus a good excuse for me to join hubby at the beach.
Ida is once again a Hurricane. Currently, it is expected to grow to Cat 2, then back to Cat 1 before coming ashore. Tie down your lawn furniture.

sullygromo

Beach Lover
Jan 22, 2008
You have to laugh at peoples different interpretation of freezing....I was swimming on Tuesday in the Gulf...didnt think it was too bad at all! :D

wow the water is freezing. how does a storm gather so much energy with the water temp in the high 60's?