• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Why can't they use staff to get the minimum and then supplement that w/ volunteers? The paid manhours could stay the same, but it ensures the library has the staff needed to be open for more time. I'd certainly like to see the library open on saturdays again.

IMO the DFS group could easily be making more money - there were alot of people at this saturday's Sowal sale paying 50 cents for paperbacks, $1 for hardcovers, and more for special books, not just $1 a bag.

Would selling select donated books on E-bay bring in more money, or would it just be more of a hassle than it's worth? (Don't know much about e-bay or used book prices).

Edit: I already left a message at the library about the Amazon list - will keep you updated.

Last edited:

ricklys

Beach Lover
Dec 17, 2008
Rosemary Beach
No Amazon wish list yet? Are books for citizens a top priority or are funds for librarians the top priority?

This was originally suggested on 11/6 - Friday. The library is closed on Saturday - or did you forget? It's Sunday. Library still isn't open, can't talk to anyone about a wish list yet. Some of us have been busy with a used book sale. Did you go? It was great.

Sheesh! Give a person a chance to catch their breath!:blush:

Last edited:

librarian

Beach Lover
Jan 22, 2009
i'm a librarian for a different area and type (academic library). i can tell you from experience working at several types of libraries that it can be complicated to set up volunteering; especially when you are talking about more than just the gift shop. if you could give the library director a spreadsheet list of responsible volunteers with email addresses and other contact info, possible times of service so they could have backup and OK to do background checks (these days that's pretty much a requirement when working around children even as a volunteer) you've greatly helped them get started on track to opening more hours. you'll also have to consider increased use of electricity etc for more opened hours and they will probably have to get someone from staff in to supervise; time away from their own family on a weekend (possible childcare and gas costs too). your organized enthusiasm WILL go far toward more convenient hours as long as hou have volunteers willing to put their efforts where their mouth is so to speak.
i know from experience where i am that i started here about 15 years ago with almost 1/2 the students and more librarians- now we have 2X (5,800)the students and fewer librarians (3 plus staff of 4 with 1 out sick) and with unpaid furloughs we can't always keep up with the "to-do" list like the Amazon possibility you mention that would be really interesting AND helpful but possibly a bit time consuming to start up. good luck and you should get response-it sounds like a good crew of librarians wanting help. :)

ricklys

Beach Lover
Dec 17, 2008
Rosemary Beach
Why can't they use staff to get the minimum and then supplement that w/ volunteers? The paid manhours could stay the same, but it ensures the library has the staff needed to be open for more time. I'd certainly like to see the library open on saturdays again.

IMO the DFS group could easily be making more money - there were alot of people at this saturday's Sowal sale paying 50 cents for paperbacks, $1 for hardcovers, and more for special books, not just $1 a bag.

Would selling select donated books on E-bay bring in more money, or would it just be more of a hassle than it's worth? (Don't know much about e-bay or used book prices).

Edit: I already left a message at the library about the Amazon list - will keep you updated.

Staff is and has been at a minimum - in fact below minimum because of previous years budget constraints. The Saturday closings are in an effort to cut down on building costs. Whether it is effective remains to be seen, and it isn't set in stone at this point. No staff or staff hours were cut, which explains the commute from DFS for some employees.

The Library Friends doesn't care who buys the books, as long as they buy them from us! DFS Library Friends is a completely separate organization from the Friends of the Coastal Branch Library. And yes, selling books on ebay is a BIG hassle.

Just Curious

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
What is your problem?

All we want to do is find a way to help fund a public resource we think is important.

Donated books, fundraising, and volunteer hours aren't depriving anyone of anything.

Yes, times are tough - even more of a reason to support a place that provides services and resources to people of all ages.

And I like my dirt road.

I hate my dirt road.

Just Curious

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
Isn't the reeport Library open on Saturdays? You can alway make the trek there. It really isn't that far.

Iris

Beach Fanatic
Aug 10, 2009
Seacrest
We went to the Library this week and paid for a couple of periodicals for the upcoming year for the Library. There is no current funding for the Library and donations are requested. What a good feeling. It feels so good to do for others, to help our community, when we can. We have no children so this is our way to give a little back to our future.