• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

bdub

Beach Lover
Jan 29, 2008
The new name is much better. It will become shortened to "Beaches International" in common parlance. Nobody calls DCA Ronald Reagan National Airport -- it gets shortened to "Reagan National" (for locals it's still "National"). Nobody calls it George Bush Houston Intercontinental -- it's still "Houston Intercontinental."

I think the region as a whole needs to start thinking about what the new airport -- and the arrival of Southwest Airlines -- will actually mean. IMHO. This will have a huge impact on everything between the 'cola's.' The beaches of NW Florida have been, until now, the best beaches in the world that no one could get to. If you live beyond a day's drive, it's a chore to get to South Walton or Bay County. That changes when Southwest starts making (I predict) daily non stops from the Mid Atlantic Region -- the midwest and maybe even from Texas (where Southwest Airlines is the only way to go.)

Right now -- it costs a family of four somewhere in the neighborhood of $1200 to $1500 dollars to make a round trip flight from DC to the region. The cheapests flights go to Pensacola, which means you still have a 90 minute drive in a rental car. Not only was it expensive, it it could take 8 to 10 hours - and that's if you did not get stuck in Atlanta.

If Southwest (as I hope and pray it does) has a direct flight from the Washington, DC area -- the commute to my place on 30A will be trimmed to about 3.5 hours door to door. Cost could come down by 50%.

Folks that is a BIG game-changer. I would be able to get to the pristine sugar white beaches of NW Florida QUICKER than I could get to the muddy brown waters of Ocean City, Maryland during peak season.

The world is about to beat a path to your door. Get Ready. The decisions made by civic, business and governmental leaders in the next 5 to 10 years will reverberate forever. There must be a thoughtful regional approach. The Beaches of Northwest Florida can continue to be a special place --- or develop into something else entirely. Do not underestimate the importance of this time and place.

jack S

Beach Lover
Jun 12, 2007
I wouldn't be to sure about open spaces always being here. After the R's get done selling the gulf to texas oil men, they will probably want to sell our forests to wealthy "friends" for development! Nah, your right, they wouldn't do that! Would they?

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
We will always have more than enough open spaces. The government owns quite a bit land in sowal.

I hope you really don't believe that...many people felt the same way about our beach area 50 years ago, and look what has happened.

Fifty years from now, I doubt the forest will look as it does now, unless we have some folks again willing to lie down in front of the bulldozers...

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
It's my understanding that the Department of the Interior has first crack on most of the Eglin land if the DoD doesn't want it anymore. That area was originally Choctawhatchee National Forest before WW2. They essentially needed an Act of Congress to even move it over to other governmental use (Okaloosa County sewage plant, NWFSC) and Steve Alford honestly never had a chance with his whole land swap proposal a few years back.

Last edited:

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
I wouldn't be to sure about open spaces always being here. After the R's get done selling the gulf to texas oil men, they will probably want to sell our forests to wealthy "friends" for development! Nah, your right, they wouldn't do that! Would they?

The Rs are why we have all of the government owned land in south Walton. And how are they going to sell anything? I thought the Ds were giving us the change we could believe in.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
I hope you really don't believe that...many people felt the same way about our beach area 50 years ago, and look what has happened.

Fifty years from now, I doubt the forest will look as it does now, unless we have some folks again willing to lie down in front of the bulldozers...

You need to look at a map, and remember those houses are why you even have a library to start with.