• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

csoldier

Beach Comber
Feb 24, 2007
While driving north on Hwy. 395 from 30A to Hwy. 98 on Wednesday, I saw a black bear cross the road. He was crossing from the east side to the west side and was about 3-400 yards in front of me on the road. It was not a cub and appeared to be, I'm guessing, about a 200 lb. bear. It was about 3:00pm. I thought it was really cool to see this as I have heard about bears in the area but never thought i'd ever see one. Anyway, just thought I'd share it with you.
Mark

Last edited:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Thanks - it has been the year of the bear here in SoWal. It will be interting to see if their numbers increase here. They had been killed off.

nicdeedoop

Beach Lover
Jul 12, 2005
I think I sawthe same bear last night. Have been seeing the same 3 bears for the +/- last 6 months, but last night, someone new and whoa Nellie that was a big ole bear,

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
The statewide numbers say Florida has gone from an estimated 1200 bears to 3600 bears over the past ten years. And since we've got so much conservation land in the region, wouldn't be surprised if a lot of that population increase was in the Panhandle.

seagrover

Beach Fanatic
Nov 16, 2004
Seagrove Beach, FL
While driving north on Hwy. 395 from 30A to Hwy. 98 on Wednesday, I saw a black bear cross the road. He was crossing from the east side to the west side and was about 3-400 yards in front of me on the road. It was not a cub and appeared to be, I'm guessing, about a 200 lb. bear. It was about 3:00pm. I thought it was really cool to see this as I have heard about bears in the area but never thought i'd ever see one. Anyway, just thought I'd share it with you.
Mark

How far north on 395 were you in relation to Publix? I want to know how close he is to me! :blink:

Em

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2005
Walton Co.
I've seen some black bears up close and personal, though none in South Walton. I know the deer, coyotes, etc are rather wimpy in size down here, but 200 # for a black bear sounds kind of wimpy, maybe a young female. But then again, all the bee hives in the Pt Washington State Forest now have electric fences guarding them, so the bears cannot stock up on the high calorie honey and bee larvae.

lsucajuns

Beach Lover
Jun 10, 2008
Dune Allen
hendersonscott66.wix.com
Bear

Here is a part pic of a bear I got on a trail cam in Point Washington last year, hope you enjoy.

Scott